Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)  (Read 14959 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:35 am »

I've been curious about eggs, and have been wondering a few things about how the game handles them in certain ways. Here goes.

• Do the inedible parts (by default, just the shell) of an egg still contribute to the weight/density of a prepared meal? In other words, if you give eggs shells made out of solid gold, will meals made using them be heavier?
  • On that note, what happens if you make the shell an edible material and the yolks an inedible material, or some other combination of edible and inedible? What if the thing is completely inedible? Can you still cook it?
  • If the "shell" of an egg is a liquid material instead of solid, and the rest is liquid too, does the animal just lay a gloopy puddle, or what? For that matter, what happens if you, say, give it a liquid shell but a solid center? Or a solid shell, liquid white, and solid yolk? Will the results of any of these circumstances hatch?
  • Does the LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS tag even work? If it does, will those items actually hatch?
  • What happens if you mod males to lay eggs? Are both sexes even necessary for fertilization, and does sex really matter in this case?
  • Can different castes lay different types of eggs? I'm assuming they can, as I see no reason why not, but it's still worth verifying.

That's all I can think of for now. I have no idea when/if I'll be able to test these things myself, but there are some pretty amusing questions here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:23:19 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:20:49 am »

I don't have any testing yet to add, but I'm marking this to follow.
I am interested in all of these questions. As well as ones like "can different castes be given different egg properties?" and "what are the properties beings from hatched trader eggs?" (assuming they hatch).

I am also curious about someone's comment about trying to get chickens to s*#% bricks. They said the game crashed (can't find the comment now. dangit!)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:21:57 am »

Yeah, someone said that getting chickens to lay iron bars crashed the game, but we can't be sure how he tried to implement that, either.

Added some more stuff to the OP based partly on what you said.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:28:30 am »

Yeah, someone said that getting chickens to lay iron bars crashed the game, but we can't be sure how he tried to implement that, either.

Added some more stuff to the OP based partly on what you said.

That would be me. It crashed when I selected 'Design New World With Advanced Parameters'.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:08 am »

That'd be a good idea. I'm gonna see if there's a way to make ducks lay charcoal, chickens flux stone and turkeys iron, since steel ingredients are so rare now.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:52 am »

I'm so damn tempted to make dwarves lay eggs.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:33:02 am »

You know, if we made dwarves bird-like in other ways, then what? If, for example, they could fly, could we get rid of stairs?

!!SCIENCE!! is needed.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:33:51 am »

So I modded the egg material templates (including shell) to all have very low melting points, then specified that chicken egg shells should be liquid.

I genned a world, embarked with a bunch of chickens, set up a nest box, and this was the result:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To make it clear what's going on here: A hen went and laid "eggs" in the nest box, and they were labeled inside the nest box as being a stack of 4 "Chicken n/a". I made a kitchen, and the cook didn't seem to want to use any of it as an ingredient even if another solid ingredient was available (the announcement being that no second unrotten cookable item was available).

After deconstructing the nest box, the second image resulted: A pool of liquid egg goop ("chicken n/a") next to the nest box.

So, out of curiosity, I changed the liquid state name of eggshells from "n/a" to "liquid eggshell", made eggshells edible-when-cooked, genned a new world, and embarked. Now, all cases of "chicken n/a" became "chicken liquid eggshell". It still cannot be cooked.

I find it very strange that the game seems to think the shell is the important part. Maybe the shell is always used as the "material" for the egg itself? I'm going to do some more tests now regarding this.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:38:44 am »

Yes, it looks like the egg item is made out of the "shell" material, and the internals are used as "extracts" when it's used.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:02:52 am »

Yeah, the raws don't even specify liquid density for whites/yolks, which is pretty messed up.

So, I changed egg whites and yolks to have a density of 10,000 (very very high!!) and the weight of eggs didn't seem to change, supporting the theory that eggs are "made out of" their shells.

I had my cook make a meal out of two egg stacks (which apparently clutters the shop, because it seems that a dozen eggs is enough to make a kitchen "cluttered" in DF). The resulting egg biscuits also were not heavy.

However, modding eggshell to be heavy, the weight of both eggs and their biscuits went up. In fact, the weight of the biscuit stack was greater than the total weight of what went into them (almost twice as heavy, in fact).

In conclusion, even when cooked, it seems like eggs are "made" of eggshell, and presumably, the white/yolk materials themselves are never used. Hooray!?

[edit]
Update: Apparently, if you mark the whites and yolks as also being inedible, you can't cook eggs. The game must check for EDIBLE_COOKED in the whites and/or the yolks. So you can't cook eggs made out of rock, but you could probably have eggs with rock shells, and the properties of that rock will be the properties that carry over into the finished meal.

These results have pretty clear implications for anyone trying to make exotic eggs. For instance, if you made eggs with normal shells filled with super-valuable god-chocolate, the properties and value of that filling will almost certainly not matter. Seems like nothing matters except the shells, as far as I can tell. This is a little disappointing, as it limits what we can do here. Enjoy your eggshell-munching!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:16:56 am by G-Flex »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 12:43:07 pm »

These results have pretty clear implications for anyone trying to make exotic eggs. For instance, if you made eggs with normal shells filled with super-valuable god-chocolate, the properties and value of that filling will almost certainly not matter. Seems like nothing matters except the shells, as far as I can tell. This is a little disappointing, as it limits what we can do here. Enjoy your eggshell-munching!

I imagine that this will probably be changed in the next update.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:38 pm »

I'm curious to know why you think that. I mean, egg items being multi-material isn't supported whatsoever by how items work in the game (all items are a single material), and as a result, the meals produced from them will suffer similarly. I don't think we'll see this change until more sweeping updates are introduced to how items work.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 12:48:11 pm »

What if you set a creature's eggshells to be made of gold, but have edible yolk/white?  Would you end up with eggs that could either be cooked or melted down?

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 01:32:20 pm »

Is it possible to create a reaction that makes an egg?  And if so, could you hatch it, either where you made it or elsewhere?

EDIT  I've read that it's possible to make ane "egg" so far, but it's not a creature egg.  Looks like there's still some ways to go for my plans.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:02:56 pm by Drawde »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »

What if you set a creature's eggshells to be made of gold, but have edible yolk/white?  Would you end up with eggs that could either be cooked or melted down?

I doubt you can 'm'elt eggs no matter what. However, the meals you produce will probably be pretty damn valuable!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8