Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Mesolithic Humanity (5000BCE)  (Read 26931 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mesolithic Humanity (5000BCE)
« on: February 17, 2011, 06:08:24 pm »

This is a major modification for Dwarf Fortress v0.31.19

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4325

Introduction

The year is 5000BCE in Britain. Humans live in small settlements, with no true borders or claimed land, living by hunting and gathering for food. The greatest technology available is the amazing "bow".

No mining. No farming. No metals. No gems. Warring factions, leather and wooden equipment. Build up a settlement of up to 60 hunter-gatherers from sticks and stones under the prestigious self-proclaiming Despot, with his handy sidekick the Witchdoctor, and defend it against curious, hungry beasts of the wild and would-be conquerors.

Suggestions
Tattoos (Paint)
- Clay Paint
- Egg Paint
Clay
Pottery
Replace Gems (Fossils?)
Leather/Cloth Beds
1 Log > 5 Blocks Reaction

Immediate Changes:
- Added Snails and Slugs
- Removed non-british land animals (5000BCE)
- Mythical Creatures removed
- Metals removed
- Stones now renamed to just "Stone" and blank grey appearance
- Clay, Peat, and all the other soils renamed to just "Earth"
- Playable species limitted to "british" humans (Dark haired, fair-skinned)
- Human settlements rarely go beyond "Hamlet", due to population cap of 60.
- Humans siege at population 30
- Each settlement's leader can become their own "Despot"
- Very few "Nobles". (Despot, Witchdoctor, Village Captain, Village Militiaman, Diplomat, Administrator)
- Weapons limited to simple (Spear, Axe, Bow, etc)
- Simple Instruments (Drums, Flute)
- Simple Clothing (Loincloth, Pants, Shirt, Tunic, Moccasin)
- English Language
- Non-raw/cooked edible plants removed (No farming)
- Most unrequired reactions removed

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:26:02 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Mesolithic Humanity (5000BCE)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:02 am »

Hi first of all it looks a good mod, i migth try it one day ...

how hade you made humans warring with eachother? have you multiple entities?

one tougth about this assumption:
it would surprise me if british (if we speak about people living in britain) would have been dark haired in 5000BCE ... i think it was more likely red haired celts at this time.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:57:05 am »

Red and blond hair were mostly introduced to the Celts by North Germanic raiders. There's a Hogmanay tradition in parts of Scotland that you don't let a blond or red haired person bearing gifts into your house, because he might be a Viking trying to gain entry, while someone with brown or black hair is fine.
Which is quite besides the point, because there were no Celts in Britain in 5000BCE. The first Celtic culture appears in Central Europe around 800BCE. The inhabitants of Britain would be pre-Indo-Europeans.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:04:01 am »

Hi first of all it looks a good mod, i migth try it one day ...

how hade you made humans warring with eachother? have you multiple entities?

one tougth about this assumption:
it would surprise me if british (if we speak about people living in britain) would have been dark haired in 5000BCE ... i think it was more likely red haired celts at this time.

I have basically duplicated the mesolithic human entity. Although, when there is just one entity, it makes several civilizations based on that anyway.

As for the dark haired-ness and such, pretty much what Jordan said. :)

==

As grand an idea as it is to make a mod like this, there are several problems which stop you being able to play it properly. There has to be picks and farming plants, for one thing, which just completely ruins the whole idea. Going to have to abandon this, till Toady makes DF moddable for it. :(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:18:45 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:23:13 am »

As grand an idea as it is to make a mod like this, there are several problems which stop you being able to play it properly. There has to be picks and farming plants, for one thing, which just completely ruins the whole idea. Going to have to abandon this, till Toady makes DF moddable for it. :(

please don't! i have much interest in this...
what are your problems? there's nothing a few houserules can't fix. removing farming is easy, just remove the seeds from plans, they will still apear and be gatherable... and one could still mine for copper and cassiterite, i think those were present in britain, but only exposed veins, by setting the layer stones as [UNDIGGABLE]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:26:54 am »

, however there is a mystical bug right now that seems to be hatin' on my plant removals,
I wonder what is it?

Remember that there should always be plants for each biome, also there should be plants with leaves and each of material type present in vanilla. It's pretty easy to tweak.

What's your problem with the removal of picks? I was able to do it finely.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:46 am »

You can quite confidently include farming and mining, since both were widespread by then. The Neolithic Revolution was 8000BCE-5000BCE, and plants were almost certainly domesticated in Europe by the end of that period. There are Neolithic mines dated 4000-3000BCE in Europe, too - they mined native metal ores with flint hammers where there were veins exposed on the surface or in caves. If you just limit farming and mining to Neolithic levels, it's totally realistic - moreso than having neither represented at all.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:54:26 am by Jordan~ »

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:09 am »

Ah, seeing as people seem to be so interested in it, and there's obviously help available, I will continue with it, heh. Not at the moment, however, seeing as I'm about to go out. :)

The plant problem seems to be drinks showing up as "Frozen unknown substance" or some such, once plants are removed. However, most of the bugs are probably just my fault for overworking myself on it.
As I say, I'll go over it in a day or two.

This is something I was using as my "research" (ie, trying to find out what the Ancient Leather Shoes were called!);
Mesolithic Methods

Also, one of the major issues are Forgotten Beasts and Hill/Marsh/etc -Titans, night Witches, and all those creatures that I can't find in the Raws. Any idea how to get rid of them?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 02:15:02 pm »

Dismiss them as drug-induced hallucinations? :P I think they're hardcoded.
5000BCE is sort of in the middle of the Neolithic Revolution for the UK, so a little farming and a little mining make sense. The frozen unknown substance problem might solve itself if you just replace the plants instead of getting rid of them altogether - wild crops spread to the British Isles as weeds.

Mayama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »

Red and blond hair were mostly introduced to the Celts by North Germanic raiders. There's a Hogmanay tradition in parts of Scotland that you don't let a blond or red haired person bearing gifts into your house, because he might be a Viking trying to gain entry, while someone with brown or black hair is fine.
Which is quite besides the point, because there were no Celts in Britain in 5000BCE. The first Celtic culture appears in Central Europe around 800BCE. The inhabitants of Britain would be pre-Indo-Europeans.

Afaik the people in north germany, netherlands etc. migrated to england over the frozen northern sea. So its basically all the same ;P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:45:36 pm »

Also, one of the major issues are Forgotten Beasts and Hill/Marsh/etc -Titans, night Witches, and all those creatures that I can't find in the Raws. Any idea how to get rid of them?
Worldgen settings. Titan, FB and night creature number can be set to 0. It will remove bogeymen too (they are night creatures).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 03:57:37 pm »

This looks really neat. I have to say, it makes sense for mining to be present. It could still have very simple geology, though I can't think of a way to prevent ultra-deep mining.

One thing to consider is making ores less productive; most of them are 100% transmutable to bars. If you change that to 20%, metal that is present would be far more valuable.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 04:03:22 pm »

though I can't think of a way to prevent ultra-deep mining

Copy "stone" several times and give most of them UNDIGGABLE.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 04:03:46 pm »

Worldgen settings. Titan, FB and night creature number can be set to 0. It will remove bogeymen too (they are night creatures).

Setting this to 0 has no effect. I still have titans, FBs, night creatures, demons and so forth spawning in the legends. =/

Code: [Select]
[TITAN_NUMBER:0]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:0]
[NIGHT_CREATURE_NUMBER:0]

though I can't think of a way to prevent ultra-deep mining

Copy "stone" several times and give most of them UNDIGGABLE.

Genius.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »

Also, you probably want aurochs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10