Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions: I'll post results if what I make works!  (Read 1421 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Questions: I'll post results if what I make works!
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:16:39 pm »

I'm making hobbits!  Some questions, since I'm fairly new to 2012's capabilities and formatting

1. Can you get an entity to prefer certain colors for clothing/etc?
2. Is there any way, short of making them not eat, to affect how often a creature eats?
3. With interactions and syndromes kicking around, would there be a way to add a new plant that, when burned, creates a cloud of smoke that does a very minor amount of lung damage but provides boosts to, I dunno, mood or speed or something?
4.  Is there a way to tell the game that a weapon could be made of leather, short of a whole new reaction that makes said weapon out of leather?  I was planning to add slings, allowing Dwarf-mode Hobbits to take advantage of their natural aptitude at throwing.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:31:54 am by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions pertaining to a new race
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:31:22 pm »

1. Nope.
2. Nope.
3. Yes, but mood is unmoddable. Speed isn't. Thoughts can't be added through modding.
4. Nope. You can make the reaction, as you said.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions pertaining to a new race
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 04:57:13 am »

Okay.  As an addendum to this, having added a new weapon that's permitted in the entity file, do I also need to add a reaction to make that weapon available out of metal, or does having MATERIAL_SIZE take care of that for me?  And, with it being a ranged weapon, do I need a reaction to be able to produce its ammo out of metal?

EDIT:  Got an answer to this one.  New questions, relating to some creature ideas I'm playing with, largely inspired by the Dwemer animunculi from the Elder Scrolls games:

1.  Can you make a creature that has a weapon for a limb [so, one of their hands ends in a sword, for example]?  If so, how?

2.  I'm still learning the new interaction coding, but I had an idea for a robotic creature that blasts out clouds of steam as an attack.  Can this be done?  What would it look like, code-wise?

3.  Could I give a creature a single sphere bodypart used for standing/locomotion rather than a pair of legs?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:35:56 am by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Questions: I'll post results if what I make works!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:13:39 pm »

Yep; in fact, Nchardahrk has sphere centurions you can look at.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:46:22 pm »

Aw man, these are actually really good.  Looks like they beat me to it.  On the other hand, it's cool to find critters like this available, and it's a great chance for me to study more complex body part plans, along with this arm-as-a-weapon trick...  From what I can see, it doesn't look that complicated - it just has the RBLADE part instead of an arm, and, I'd imagine, uses its tissue to determine weapon properties when said bodypart is used for an edge attack.  Is there more to it than that?

~LegacyCWAL

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 03:08:36 pm »

It's more about the material than the tissue. It's the slash ATTACK you need to look for-- it has [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE] and probably some interesting penetration, velocity and contact area vaues.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 03:16:43 pm »

Well, that's what I mean, is that he has his Centurions using bronze as their tissue material, letting the attack act like it's using a bronze weapon.  And yeah, it does have ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE and penetration/contact/velocity values.  I'm seeing more or less how it works.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:29:59 pm by Thuellai »

~LegacyCWAL

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:59:37 pm »

No, I mean that the important part isn't the bronze tissue, it's the fact that the bronze tissue has bronze defined as its material.