Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More versatile format for noble/position item requirements  (Read 1355 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
More versatile format for noble/position item requirements
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »

It recently occurred to me that the position tokens "[REQUIRED_RACKS:]" "[REQUIRED_STANDS:]" "[REQUIRED_CABINETS:]" and "[REQUIRED_BOXES:]" could potentially be folded into a single token of the format

[REQUIRED_ITEM:(item token):(item token argument if applicable):(number of items)]

This would also have the practical advantage of aiding modders by allowing other types of items such as tables, chairs, traction benches, statues, et cetera to be required by custom nobles.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: More versatile format for noble/position item requirements
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:35:57 pm »

I would further argue that it should follow the reagent/product format, of [ITEM_TYPE:ITEM_SUBTYPE:ITEM_MATGLOSS:MAT_TYPE:AMOUNT] which would allow you to specify "2 steel armor stands" or "4 boxes of any type" or perhaps "1 table of the material type this person likes".

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:02:52 pm »

I like this idea.  It means that we can do things like add decorative items or furniture into the game, and make nobles demand them.

I see a potential problem, however, as what you are talking about aren't seen as "items" by the game, I don't believe, but "furniture" that is "built" in the room.  That may make it trickier to raw in.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »

Grand idea! I've wanted to make a beekeeper noble, who requires three hives in his room. Preferably next to his bed.

I would further argue that it should follow the reagent/product format, of [ITEM_TYPE:ITEM_SUBTYPE:ITEM_MATGLOSS:MAT_TYPE:AMOUNT] which would allow you to specify "2 steel armor stands" or "4 boxes of any type" or perhaps "1 table of the material type this person likes".

Yes but why have steel when gold works just as well? Or platinum? Doesn't make much sense.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:38:29 am »

Yes but why have steel when gold works just as well? Or platinum? Doesn't make much sense.
It's for the level of control.  It could just as easy be set to NONE to allow any material type.  But, say I made a custom race who values copper above all else.  The king wouldn't enjoy having a platinum weapon rack, he'd want a copper one!  Or perhaps the militia commander wants all his furniture made out of weapon-grade material?  In general, it helps to allow the modders more freedom, even if there's no explicit use for the extra variables.  Someone will find a use and be very thankful for that small inclusion.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:52:39 am »

On a related note, I would also like for nobles to be able to have required rooms other than bedrooms, dining rooms, offices, and tombs.

It would be cool to have custom nobles with requirements like REQUIRED_SCULPTURE_GARDEN or REQUIRED_ZOO
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:12:35 am »

It makes sense that a dungeon master would want a zoo, for instance...