Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is 40d dead?  (Read 1407 times)

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is 40d dead?
« on: February 20, 2011, 06:30:40 am »

ive been looking around for a copy of 40d with a graphics/tileset (like what the lazy newb pack uses) and i havent been able to find it in any other form than vanilla... can anybody direct me to a package?
i just cant stand the eye destroying ASCII graphics and installing them manually is beyond me...  :(

i had a decent setup for it when i first started playing df, but i got rid of it, and cant for the life of me remember where or what it is

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Re: is 40d dead?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:23:14 am »

Maybe if you just stuck with the ASCII for a while, it won't be so much of a problem?

Eventually you won't even see the matrix anymore. You'll just see dwarf, !!floodgate!!, plump helmet spawn...
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:32:47 am »

Mayday

Relentless assault with some graphics I dunno

Mayday's site, 40d version link is in uppercase word "HERE"

Did you know you can browse files on dffd? Try that? maybe I've missed something. However you're right and those aren't as numerous as before.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:35:23 pm »

The DFwiki also has links to other tilesets. It takes a bit of looking, but a search for tilesets usually brings it up in one of the listed options.

The thread title made me think "Do people still play it?" was the real question, the answer would be yes, there are people who still play 40d. It's just not carrying as advanced stuff/tools/mods as you see nowadays, but the old versions for it should still be available in DFFD or in the 40d sections of the DFwiki.

Last I recall as well, I don't think there were any LNB packs for 40d, considering it's age, and the the packs started post 31.01 release.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:39:07 pm by Itnetlolor »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:10:59 pm »

hermano, ranting rodent, beefmo, etc.....

Yup. 40d is totally dead.

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:17:17 pm »

awesome, thanks guys
 and sorry for the misleading topic, i meant it as "is 40d dead because i can hardly find anything on it"
but i was unable to come up with anything on dffd, maybe i just fail at looking for stuff

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:22:57 pm »

40d is in the past so you have to travel back to the future in time.