Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regular doctor check-ups.  (Read 1139 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regular doctor check-ups.
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »

I noticed this in the Future of the Fortress thread:
This new hammerer might actually solve the problem of doctors never getting any practice and losing skills.
That got me thinking.  DF's doctors don't really get to practice their craft in a peaceful fortress -- that doesn't really make much sense, does it?

Therefore, I suggest that dwarves should occasionally have random visits with the doctor for minor issues.  Doctors would get practice by monitoring the health of their patients in these sessions; with fewer checkups, dwarves would become more vulnerable to disease and infection.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regular doctor check-ups.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:06 pm »

Maybe make it so that doctors can treat infections as well?

Urist McPusArm cancels attend party: getting leached
May the mass times acceleration be with you

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:42:19 pm »

once diseases are up and running, I don't see why not. I usually never get to the point of making a hospital, and when I do, it usually is the "oh crap, I hope this dwarf has enough skill to patch up where that other one's shoulder used to be" type of throw together set up.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 11:02:19 pm »

It sounds like a good idea to me, I'd love to see the healthcare side of the game get an overhaul (I know its fairly new itself and I also know we are basing this on 13th century technology but still, I work in the healthcare field and can identify with those medi-dwarves :)).

As far as hopsitals go, usually when I start I dig out a room for dwarves to sleep in while I am making my main fort, after I get a proper barracks, dorm, etc going I usually convert that into a hospital until I can make a proper one later. 

A major goal of mine is for as many dwarves to survive as possible (absurd I know) even while playing with in some cases crazy challenges (for example I rarely use any walls, never wall myself completely in, don't use traps, use Fortress Defense II, etc).  I never embark without at least one trained doctor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:06:13 pm »

I think we need an anachranism check (except spelled correctly)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:53:14 pm »

Dwarfs could improve their throwing skills in vomitoriums after the leeching.  Codes already in to portray vomit.  Its only a matter of linking the various skill sets up.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.