Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bee Poll #2 (see reply #209 for results of first poll)

Honey dressings for wounds
- 16 (24.6%)
Honey-preservation of foods
- 19 (29.2%)
Bee Anger (if stirred up, hives stay angry for a while; see post #162)
- 14 (21.5%)
Sting Effects (allergies/resistance; first post)
- 15 (23.1%)
Equine Enmity (hives attack nearby horses (unicorns maybe); see post #23)
- 1 (1.5%)
Addition of Stingless Bees (less risk/less honey; see posts #78-79)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: June 18, 2011, 06:22:09 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Honeybees Buzz'n Beard  (Read 45778 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Honeybees Buzz'n Beard
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:27 am »

Hee hee hee, kobold bulbs, gnomeblight mead, gnome problem solved.

I like it!

Right now there is no 'toxic plants' or flowers for that matter. But I do like the potential fun level of being in an evil swamp with an evil tulip.
Oddly enough there are bad evil-lands grasses for cattle to eat, however. Like the creepy ass eyeball grass.

EDIT: didn't mean the double... er... triple post. sorry. QUOTEd instead of MODIFY.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:27:06 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 03:49:07 am »

ARGHWTFBBQMOUSECLICKFAIL
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:25:25 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 04:20:09 am »

What kind of protective clothing should dwarves make?

At this rate, we'll need civilian uniforms, including a special uniform for beekeepers....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 06:53:59 pm »

Uristocrat: "What kind of protective clothing should dwarves make?"

Gloves, fine netting to protect the head, and a cloth bee-suit or robe seem reasonable, but smoke is the best protection. There are beekeepers (not me) who tend their hives with nothing for protection but a pair of shorts, shoes, and a lit cigar.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:03:36 pm by Buzzing_Beard »

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 07:10:28 pm »

That's sad. Don't use skeps little dwarves! You don't need to kill your bees to get honey and wax.
Toady knows that but apparently considers "bee space" based hive designs to be anachronistic.

However, I joined this thread to comment on a hilarious thing I noticed -- while configuring my food stockpile in my first game in awhile (why isn't there a simple button to select just the edible-without-kitchen stuff?), I noticed "Bumblebee Mead" under "Drinks (Animal)".   That's about as silly as "prepared bumblebee brains".

Now, I'm no bee expert, but I once looked up bumblebees after finding one trapped in my house, and one fact I recall was that they produce barely enough honey for themselves.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 08:35:48 pm »

DFWiki: "Populated hives will produce a honeycomb and a royal jelly at some point in time after they become ready
     to be split."

Suggestion: Abandon royal jelly as a product of beehives in DF.

While the practice of honey collection, akin to raiding the bees' pantry, is thousands and thousands of years old,
the practice of collecting royal jelly, akin to drinking amniotic fluid, began in the 1920's and took off in the 50's.

It's not harvestable from skeps. The bees have to be manipulated into producing hundreds of queen-cells (the old queen is taken out and their emergency efforts to replace her are frustrated).

The "queens" are kept on special frames in special hives. The cells of the young queens are then periodically poured off and returned to be refilled. It takes about 120 "queens" to collect one ounce of royal jelly, and it needs to be consumed immediately or refrigerated.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »

DFWiki: "This will cause the hive to grow, allowing it to be split into additional artificial hives."

Skeps (the style I believe the dwarves are currently using) aren't splittable as langstroth or top-bar hives are.

The best you could do is put an empty skep nearby and hope that when they swarm (roaring 50-foot vortex of bees), they move into it.

When beehives procreate this way you usually lose the swarm (and lots of honey), and can be left with a hive at just 10% its original strength.

Top-bars (used for thousands of years), and modern langstroths, can be managed so that swarming is rare and splits are more 50/50. I suggest the dwarves switch to top-bar hives.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 09:55:11 pm »

Is royal jelly any good?  Why would people want it instead of honey?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 10:00:02 pm »

Uristocrat: "Is royal jelly any good?  Why would people want it instead of honey?"

Some people think it's medicinal.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:05:15 pm by Buzzing_Beard »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 10:01:24 pm »

Is royal jelly any good?  Why would people want it instead of honey?

Well let me see... Other then being an expencive honey product because of how hard it is to collect in any large quantity

It also lower in sugar content (apperantly), higher in protean (In that it has Protean). It also has medical effects unique to it.

Your not supposed to feed babies Royal Jelly though. It is sort of proof that even nature can make chemical drenched products.

Ohh it is also a Beauty product (but then again I hear honey is also)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:05:02 pm by Neonivek »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 10:05:16 pm »

People want royal jelly because it typically gives them some of the highest magic point restoration rates of any item in your inventory.

... oh, wait, you mean in real life.

Right, well, you can read it over on Wikipedia what the claims are, although I have absolutely no idea, and it sounds like most other "holistic medicines" to me.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07:23 pm »

A lot of the "Medical Uses of Royal Jelly" that I saw have to do with either energy (because of its protean content and less sugar then honey likely) or beauty.

From what I seen the vast majority of classical Royal Jelly medicines arn't anything serious. Mostly mood, energy, skin health, and such.

Ok that and Hormone/emotion control. Which is understandable because Royal Jelly is practically a hormone bomb

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 11:52:36 pm »

Rare Honey: Not every plant flowers every year (sage every 2-3 years, kurinji once every 12 years).

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 12:05:08 am »

People want royal jelly because it typically gives them some of the highest magic point restoration rates of any item in your inventory.

That's true, huh.  I almost forgot that it's a very light food item in Nethack that can remove scarring (improves charisma).

I guess Dwarves could use it to treat scarring, but that doesn't seem very dwarfy to me....  I guess they could use it in other medicines, though, whenever those go in.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 12:07:12 am »

Rare Honey: Not every plant flowers every year (sage every 2-3 years, kurinji once every 12 years).

So flowers like that are synchronized the way broods of, say, cicadas are?  Interesting.

I'm thinking that honey should be named after the flower/nectar that it was produced from and not the type of bee.  That is, "clover honey" instead of "bumblebee honey" and that bumblebees should have a lower rate of honey production.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16