Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bee Poll #2 (see reply #209 for results of first poll)

Honey dressings for wounds
- 16 (24.6%)
Honey-preservation of foods
- 19 (29.2%)
Bee Anger (if stirred up, hives stay angry for a while; see post #162)
- 14 (21.5%)
Sting Effects (allergies/resistance; first post)
- 15 (23.1%)
Equine Enmity (hives attack nearby horses (unicorns maybe); see post #23)
- 1 (1.5%)
Addition of Stingless Bees (less risk/less honey; see posts #78-79)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: June 18, 2011, 06:22:09 pm

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Honeybees Buzz'n Beard  (Read 46093 times)

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Honeybees Buzz'n Beard
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2011, 10:54:03 am »

NW_Kohaku: "...to attract some kind of bee or other insect that would visit and pollenate multiple underground
     flowering plants."

or mammal

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »

NW_Kohaku: "...to attract some kind of bee or other insect that would visit and pollenate multiple underground
     flowering plants."

or mammal

A bat colony for pollination underground sounds fantastic...  I have to go put that in...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:51 pm »

flowering plants."

or mammal

A bat colony for pollination underground sounds fantastic...  I have to go put that in...

Can you have it produce guano instead of honey? Used as a fertilizing option, that could be really cool!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »

Guano is an important resource... as a fertilizer.  Using some sort of mobile bat colony as a pollinator and producer of fertilizer would be a wonderful addition to underground farming.  I went back and modified some sections (Pests, Xenosynthesis, and Alternate Crops) of Improved Farming on this...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2011, 02:41:00 pm »

What about Tooth fairies in good regions that fly around collecting body parts/contaminents and making gold?  Either leaving a coin or crushing the 'hive' to squeeze it out?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:54 pm »

What about Tooth fairies in good regions that fly around collecting body parts/contaminents and making gold?  Either leaving a coin or crushing the 'hive' to squeeze it out?

Haha, that would be awesome.

Combine that with bat guano and we could have so much !!FUN!!
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2011, 03:15:40 pm »

Bats and bees don't usually get along well (sometimes at dusk, bats will gather to hunt at beehives). Flower-pollinating nectar-bats are an exception though; they only eat nectar and pollen (just like bees).

Bat poop isn't really my bailiwick, but can you get fertiliser-quality guano from bats that don't eat insects?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »

Bats and bees don't usually get along well (sometimes at dusk, bats will gather to hunt at beehives). Flower-pollinating nectar-bats are an exception though; they only eat nectar and pollen (just like bees).

Bat poop isn't really my bailiwick, but can you get fertiliser-quality guano from bats that don't eat insects?

Hmm... good question. From a random page I googled:
There are two distinct types of bat guano, that which is deposited by insect eating bats and that which is deposited by fruit eating bats. Insect eating bats tend to produce high nitrogen guano which promotes strong plant growth. Fruit bats tend to produce high phosphorus guano which promotes budding and flowering. All guano will include trace elements and highly beneficial micro-organisms.

Sounds like it makes sense on the face of it. I'd love a better source, or more detail, though. Bats eating your bees would be awesome to have in-game. Unfortunately, until we can have specific vermin hunting vs. the randomnity we have now, I don't think it's a good idea. The bees outnumber the bats, so the odds are you'd catch them instead.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2011, 03:26:35 pm »

gardenallyear.com: "There are two distinct types of bat guano, that which is deposited by insect eating bats and
     that which is deposited by fruit eating bats."

I didn't know about the fruit-bat guano, but I also think nectar-bats and fruit-bats are two different kinds of bat.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:51:24 am by Buzzing_Beard »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2011, 03:34:03 pm »

Flaede: "There are two distinct types of bat guano, that which is deposited by insect eating bats and that which is
     deposited by fruit eating bats."

I think fruit-bats and nectar-bats are two different kinds of bats.
Yep. And they have distinctly different guano, apparently.
Insect: high nitrogen
fruit: high phosphorous.

Yay poop! So. yeah. Potash is more of the contributing nitrogen type fertilizer, right?
[/quote]

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2011, 03:45:55 pm »

I looks like guano from both fruit-bats and insect-bats can be used for fertiliser, but I wonder if you can use guano from nectar-bats as well since they only eat nectar and pollen.

EDIT:
Insect-Bat Fruit-Bat Nectar-Bat
Insect Bat Fruit-Bat Nectar-Bat
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:55:22 am by Buzzing_Beard »

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2011, 03:57:45 pm »

Flaede: "There are two distinct types of bat guano, that which is deposited by insect eating bats and that which is

Yay poop! So. yeah. Potash is more of the contributing nitrogen type fertilizer, right?

I wonder if that means that the insect guano should be more explosive and the fruit guano should burn hotter?  Hmm...

EDIT:  And maybe it could be used as fuel, too?  I wonder.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:38:13 pm by Uristocrat »
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2011, 11:12:58 am »

Another suggestion:

Bee Anger: If a beehive initiates an attack, it will become more aggresive for several days (based on personal experience). It will be more likely to initiate subsequent attacks (maybe four times as likely), and its bees will be more likely to sting in the presence of attack pheromone (maybe six times as likely).

A note on attack pheromone: When working several hives, gloves can accumulate stings (and attack pheromone). This often means that the next hive will be harder to work than the last. If it isn't washed off, attack scent can continue to trigger stings for years.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:40:48 pm by Buzzing_Beard »

Lungfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2011, 09:09:25 pm »

If Bee Anger was a poll option, I'd choose it. "A bee hive has become enraged!" would be an awesome thing to see.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2011, 10:33:06 pm »

Potash contributes Potassium.  "Potassium" as a word derives from "Potash", they just stick "-ium" on the end of most metals discovered in the past couple centuries, so it's "Potashium".  (Makes it easy to remember, right? :P )

NPK are the three macronutrients of farming, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium (which is K on the periodic table). 

I wonder if that means that the insect guano should be more explosive and the fruit guano should burn hotter?  Hmm...

EDIT:  And maybe it could be used as fuel, too?  I wonder.

Guano (mostly seagull guano, but regardless,) was used as one of the most precious resources in the world for the production of gunpowder up until the invention of the Haber Process as a source for artificial Nitrates.  Wars were fought over nations like Chile, which had access to vast guano reserves, and England cutting off Germany from its access to Guano early on doomed Germany to defeat in World War One when they were unable to make both ammunition and fertilizer with their limited nitrates, and picked ammunition and letting their people starve until the nation collapsed.

Guano is serious shit.   ;D
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16