Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Plea for Parthenogenesis  (Read 1967 times)

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Plea for Parthenogenesis
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:27:21 am »

With the addition of the much-loved eggs with this latest patch, several incredible modding opportunities have cropped up. Possibly the most interesting of these is the creation of life via workshops. However, since an artificially-created egg cannot be fertilized, it cannot hatch, thus striking down this series of ideas.

Would you be able to add a token to some creatures to allow for parthenogenesis? This would allow unfertilized eggs to hatch and allow a flood of modding ideas to come to fruition. It also occurs naturally in many species of sharks and reptiles (some of which already exist in game without this defining trait).

Your consideration would be greatly appreciated.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: A Plea for Parthenogenesis
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:44:21 am »

It occurs naturally, if rarely, in many different species, including fish, insects, amphibians, and very rarely, birds.

Some sort of "probability" throttle should be included, as it really is a very unlikely occurance, especially the "more evolved" the creature is. (That is, insects are far more likely to do it than amphibians which are more likely than birds.) 

Combining this with some sort of mutation possibility could make for some interesting female-only species like harpies, which would actually be able to reproduce... asexually.

(Unless you wanted to go the route of making night creature code for transformations apply to raw-created creatures, which could also be pretty cool.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:08:13 pm »

It occurs naturally, if rarely, in many different species, including fish, insects, amphibians, and very rarely, birds.

Some sort of "probability" throttle should be included, as it really is a very unlikely occurance, especially the "more evolved" the creature is. (That is, insects are far more likely to do it than amphibians which are more likely than birds.) 

Combining this with some sort of mutation possibility could make for some interesting female-only species like harpies, which would actually be able to reproduce... asexually.

(Unless you wanted to go the route of making night creature code for transformations apply to raw-created creatures, which could also be pretty cool.)

Actually, it is a by-species thing. Komodo dragons will lay eggs that, if unfertilized, will hatch into males (IIRC). Hammerhead sharks lay eggs that will hatch even if unfertilized. There is even a species of whiptail lizard that is entirely female!

I think it would be more an amazing feature to add for modding opportunities (summoning Demons/Lovecraftian horrors, creating golems/constructs/colossi, etc.) alone, but that it also adds authenticity to existing creatures is a bonus (to me).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:17:14 pm »

Ah, right, and there are some species of snake that are entirely female, as well.

Some species are entirely hermaphroditic, including creatures like worms, so there's that, too.

And why not link the wikipedia article?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »

There is even a species of whiptail lizard that is entirely female!

You left out the coolest part, which is that although their eggs don't need to be fertilized, their ovulation is still linked to copulation (a throwback from when their species had two sexes), leading to the necessity for the whiptail lizards to engage in hot lesbian reptile sex in order to reproduce.

...Oh, and also I second the original poster's idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:52:23 am »

I have a dream... A dream of giant flesh-and-bone abominations that are under the control of the dwarves, someone long ago mentioned child golems :D deliciousness :D
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:22:01 pm »

I have a dream... A dream of giant flesh-and-bone abominations that are under the control of the dwarves, someone long ago mentioned child golems :D deliciousness :D

EXACTLY!

Hopefully it wouldn't really take much effort to code, and it would open limitless possibilities for modding!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:14:06 pm »

Harpies reproduce asexually now? I always thought they were more...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On second thought, asexual it is!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:44:58 pm »

Harpies reproduce asexually now? I always thought they were more...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On second thought, asexual it is!

That's the "night creature" option I was talking about before.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare