Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did layers get added back yet?  (Read 2655 times)

Itsapaul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did layers get added back yet?
« on: March 24, 2011, 04:45:55 am »

Haven't played/updated since 31.19 since I'm not playing without knowing the layers before I okay a site, and I was curious whether they got added back in.  If not, still not going to play when abandons will happen many more times because you took information out I relied on.  Also, not trying to be bitter, but I could care less about the realism argument.  You can know layers before you dig irl (kinda the whole point of the mining industry) and I'm not playing a video game for it to be realistic.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:48:49 am by Itsapaul »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did layers get added back yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:52:18 am »

Okay, so, after rereading, I think I understand. You want to know whats in the rock before you dig there, right? The mining industry doesn't exactly work like that, as they mine a little to find out whats there, then start a big mine to get out what they find[Alaskan Gold Rush, ftw]. It's possible for a mining company to set up a site and find nothing[or very little.].

Half the fun in the game is using what you're given and making the best of it. Aquifer? Punch through it like an angry god. No metal ore? Stone crafts and trade for it. No stone? Woodland dwarves. Though, a world gen option was added to increase the frequency of metal if you don't want to work with the default, but that takes a little of the fun away.

And if you don't want realism, Minecraft is that way. =====>
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:59:31 am by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:40:08 am »

Though, a world gen option was added to increase the frequency of metal if you don't want to work with the default, but that takes a little of the fun away.
For you.

And if you don't want realism, Minecraft is that way. =====>
Should people who don't like the new mineral system go that way for fun as well?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:52:38 am »

Cant say as I disagree with the OP.

Ohh, and I love the douche attitude from Spiral there. Real classy.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:06:23 pm »

The realism argument is stupid and not everyone gets a hard-on from punching through aquifers like angry-macho-god, but I do agree that other than not showing sand/clay and listing non-usable ore as "metal", there's not much wrong with the current embark screen. Knowing where there is metal, aquifers and flux is plenty of information - You don't need to have steel industry in every single fort even if you are not in it for the elitist-angry-god gameplay.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:32 pm »

Layering stones are nice, but I've come to enjoy the little surprises of embarking on a site that advertises nothing but
Deep soil
Shallow Metals
Flux
Deep Metals

And finding that
- the deep soil is part loam and part fire clay
- the shallow metals are galena galena galena and more galena
- the flux is limestone
- the deep "metals" are tetrahedrite and cobaltite, and ye olde other blue stuff.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 02:52:25 pm »

Layering stones are nice, but I've come to enjoy the little surprises of embarking on a site that advertises nothing but
Deep soil
Shallow Metals
Flux
Deep Metals

And finding that
- the deep soil is part loam and part fire clay
- the shallow metals are galena galena galena and more galena
- the flux is limestone
- the deep "metals" are tetrahedrite and cobaltite, and ye olde other blue stuff.

This.

And my only attitude was saying Minecraft was that way. Everything else was just my opinion. If my opinion in not liking the game made easy for me is douchey, then.. well alright. =P
Legacy of Insightshields

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:06:07 pm »

Realism aside, I think you have little to gain by knowing everything about your zone before you embark, and a lot to lose in terms of surprise and replayability.

Plus, if you REALLY NEED that chert, or whatever ridiculously specific material you have in mind, just mod in a reaction to turn any type of stone into that type. It's really not any more game-breaking than being able to know everything about your layers before you embark.

I figure if layers are so important to you that you need to skip the beekeeping industry, pottery, waxworking, pastures, working healthcare, and the other several hundred changes and fun new features, then I guess it's your call.

Just my opinion, the game tends to be more fun for me when I don't know exactly what to expect at all times.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 04:35:41 pm »

Haven't played/updated since 31.19 since I'm not playing without knowing the layers before I okay a site, and I was curious whether they got added back in.  If not, still not going to play when abandons will happen many more times because you took information out I relied on.  Also, not trying to be bitter, but I could care less about the realism argument.  You can know layers before you dig irl (kinda the whole point of the mining industry) and I'm not playing a video game for it to be realistic.

If the reason you want layer stones is because you really, really want to build everything out of, say, limestone, well then, no, the current version won't satisfy your needs - nor likely will any future edition.

If the reason you want layer stones is to make sure that youe embark has iron/silver/platinum/whatever metals, then yes, the current version will meet your needs - just set mineral density sufficiently low and you'll be swimming in every type of metal just like 31.18.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »

While the current embark readout doesn't bother me that much, I would definately like to see a compromise where we could see what the first rock layer is at least. You can easily tell what it is without digging once you embark so why isn't the info there to begin with. And perhaps show the soil layers too, though that I don't care about as much.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 04:52:37 pm »

While the current embark readout doesn't bother me that much, I would definately like to see a compromise where we could see what the first rock layer is at least.

I'm okay with this. If it's visible without having to dig, then yeah.
Legacy of Insightshields

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 05:15:11 pm »

As someone who was initially worried about the new embark/metal system I can assure you that the new metal scarcity value solves most of the problems. If you're looking for lots of ore for your steel industry you may be dissappointed, but if you set it low enough you will have plenty of metal to play with.