Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves stopped storing food in barrels  (Read 17784 times)

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves stopped storing food in barrels
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »

My dwarves suddenly stopped using barrels for my food stock piles. Is this a mod issue (I'm using genesis), a new vanill bug, or am I doing something wrong. I have empty barrels in my stockpile and they aren't forbidden. Also they were using barrels before and food that's in the barrels stays in the barrels but no new food is being put into barrels. Which is really annoying with the mountains of tallow I have.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves stopped storing food in barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:57:04 pm »

Check your orders menu: have you turned off either "dwarves ignore food" or "all dwarves harvest"?

My suspicion is the first, since you mentioned tallow rather than food rotting in fields. You might also check to make sure that you have tallow turned on, if you've played with custom stockpiles at all. Try creating a new food stockpile with all available options and see if they'll bring food to that one.

Finally, a problem that I've had before (although it doesn't sound like yours as much, but better safe than sorry) is that when you have only one *huge* food stockpile, the dwarves will only place one barrel at a time, so if you're producing food much much faster than the time it takes them to bring one barrel to the pile and then fill it, you can fall massively behind. In that case, the fix is to break your one stockpile up into several, so they can generate more than one "place barrel on pile" order at a time.

tl;dr
In order of likelyhood from your description -
1) Check orders. 2) Check stockpile settings. 3) Make smaller piles.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:30:43 pm »

I checked orders. I should make it clear that they are storing the food in stockpiles they just aren't using the barrels I have lying around. So 10 tallow takes up 10 units of stockpile instead of just 1 (which is super annoying).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:35:30 pm »

did you perhaps set the stockpile not to use barrels?

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:20 pm »

Nope. I checked that. Also the barrels that already have food in them are getting stored fine but no new barrels are being used.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:36 pm »

Try making a new stockpile for food and see what happens.

Also: Are the food stacks too large for the barrels?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:25:13 am »

I've noticed, if a nestbox gets stuffed into a food stockpile, no more barrels will get assigned to that stockpile. I had to dump all my nextboxes to get them to use barrels again (removing a box from the food pile just gets them to move another one in).

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:28:55 am »

Hmm, this sounds more like the experience I had. Do you have only one big food stockpile? B/c the way stockpile orders work, they can only generate one "place barrel on pile" order at once, so if you're producing a lot of food, this can be a problem as the food will fill up on the pile faster than the barrels can get placed there to hold them. I had to divide my big stockpile into several small stockpiles.

What happens when you start a new food stockpile? Do they bring food to it? Barrels? Put food in barrels?

And finally, are you using 31.19 and trying to use the new ceramic barrels? I hear there have been issues there, though I have yet to try it.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:43:07 am »

I have 4 food stockpiles. None of them are adding any new barrels. I'm not using large pots. And I haven't made any nest boxes.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 04:28:12 am »

I have 4 food stockpiles. None of them are adding any new barrels. I'm not using large pots. And I haven't made any nest boxes.

But they are storing food on the new piles?

"An' th' tables?"

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:04:50 am »

Do any of your food stockpiles have jugs or hives? I had the same problem as you, and dumping the new containers (jugs, nest boxes, hives) seemed to get things back to normal.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 12:17:03 pm »

They are storing food just not in barrels.

No jugs, nest boxes or hives (i have hives stored in my finished goods pile) stored in my food piles although I have many buckets of milk.

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:20:45 pm »

I've noticed, if a nestbox gets stuffed into a food stockpile, no more barrels will get assigned to that stockpile. I had to dump all my nextboxes to get them to use barrels again (removing a box from the food pile just gets them to move another one in).
Thanks. I was having this problem and dumping my next boxes solved it.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 01:16:57 am »

Are they ignoring furniture, in orders? I have made that booboo before, from my poor typing. If they cannot haul a barrel to the foodpile?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 02:52:16 am »

FWIW: I don't think the nest boxes need to be in your food stockpile. Mine were at my depot when I discovered my cure, and before they went to the depot they were in my finished goods stockpile.

I have a save that demonstrates this pretty readily. Run it for a season and the stockpiles are still screwed up. Create a dump and dump the nest boxes and the stockpiles are all cleaned up within 10 days.
Pages: [1] 2