Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Future of the Fortress? It is Grim.  (Read 22300 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of the Fortress? It is Grim.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 01:33:59 am »

In the grim darkness of the future fortress, dwarves wear leather trenchcoats and wield bone crossbows with bone bolts.

Modding in trench coats right now. It must be done for everybodys sake.

Skivverus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 02:19:04 am »

...dunno about "grim", so far, but then, my desert fort's only been going for five years now. Had one "siege", which resulted in no casualties on either side and therefore no goblinite, although with the caravans thoughtfully providing bronze and ridiculous amounts of cheap leather I can at least put all my military in something; struck two caverns and gold, in that order (caverns are hatch-ed off until appropriate security measures can be prepared); no other metals in sight.

Also, seventy idlers. Probably should make some of them masons...

Edit: Oh hey, siege #2, and they brought trolls, who destroyed an entirely superfluous hatch cover while the tower marksmen engaged in some bone bolt diplomacy with the goblins. Easy pickings, although admittedly a fair number of livestock died. The trolls stuck around to admire the hatch covers (and perhaps the goblin bowman stuck on a pressure plate nearby), out of range of the marksmen, so I sent the melee squads over to clear them out, at which point I discovered I had a couple of axe lords and a half-dozen troll corpses thanks to the training setup I'd had going.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:05:48 am by Skivverus »

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 02:49:44 am »

And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

I am afraid I must Sig you on that.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 03:24:18 am »

Now, dwarves can scarcely scrape together bronze and iron for weapons, much less armor.  Traps are rendered ineffective, made of wood, bone, and stone as they are. 

This is the dawn of a new age of our Fortress.  These are the Dwarven Dark Ages.

In this new age, dwarves will become masters of engineering and mechanics! Hidden from the sun in the safety of their stone fortresses, dwarves will build death traps, collapsing pillars, imprison their foes and drown them or encase them in ice.

Then, when enough time has passed and much metal has been collect from their fallen enemies, dwarves will walk on the surface again.

The world will tremble as it sees the sons of Armok clad in the finest armor, gleaming in the sun.

There will be so much glory
and so much vomit!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:48 am »

Well, drawbridges are still undestroyable so I'm OK :)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:10 am »

I know, I like it.  :D

Although, just in case you feel like he odds are too strongly against you... Cage traps.

They're not exactly the perfect solution are they? Because everyone KNOWS they're overpowered, and they're going to get beaten with the nerf stick sooner or later.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 07:04:17 am »

In my opinion, it will be less grim when the caravan arc will be finished. Metals will be more scarce than before, of course, but it should be possible to buy a lot from the caravans.

Until that moment, I am gonna make all my soldiers legendary wrestlers.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 07:14:44 am »

In my opinion, it will be less grim when the caravan arc will be finished. Metals will be more scarce than before, of course, but it should be possible to buy a lot from the caravans.

Until that moment, I am gonna make all my soldiers legendary wrestlers.

Nothing says pain quite like a flying reverse beard lock.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 07:20:12 am »

Time for people to brush up on death trap posts. "Dodge me" traps made of toothless materials at the top of a 10 z-level high catwalk is all you need to defend your fort.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 07:34:26 am »

I must say I don't particularly like the change. Sure, I like the idea that obviously every metal isn't going to be everywhere, but at the same time, that's what the game was about! Even when you take trading into account do you really want to be ordering in caravans of nothing but metal? That'll be expensive... IMO, the better balance would be to make all minerals still more or less available on all maps, (layer permitting) but simply... well, much rarer in certain cases? I mean, we're now limited to 2 or 3 ores in most cases. The whole map is FILLED with these, you get SO MUCH. But it's useless. My current fort, zinc, tin and silver. That's all we can produce. So on the weapon front we're buggered. Now once again, I must stress that I understand trading will make things easier. But still.

I stand by toady's decision, as always. Even if I think there are alternatives. But for now I'll be finding myself a steel making fort, and sticking with it.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 07:50:13 am »

bone bolt diplomacy

My new favorite DF-related term.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 07:53:49 am »

I must say I don't particularly like the change...

That's what most of us said when metals became super-abundant in 0.31.01
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 07:54:49 am »

...Traps are rendered ineffective, made of wood, bone, and stone as they are...

I personally have never had a problem with menacing wooden spike weapon traps - they seem to do a fairly decent amount of damage to goblins and I've seen an Ettin downed by a few before as well...
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 08:03:10 am »

The first thing, you should do, dig out or build an entrance to your fort and the only way to get in, is to pass that drawbridge. That way you are safe for the first years. Then build an archer platform 1*10 in size one the level above that bridge. Surround it with fortifications. That way the enemies won't shoot at you, while your xbow dorfs can play "headshot him!". The only entrance to that platform should be from one level above, so your dorfs can shoot in all directions. Bone bolts and whatever kind of xbow will be enough.
When you killed your first goblins, smelt their stuff and make some metal armor and weapons. Meanwhile you have been able to buy metal from merchants too. So where is the big deal?  :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:07:35 am by Nekudotayim »
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 09:24:56 am »

Do fortifications protect your archers from far away enemy archers these days?

And a question on flyers: Are flyers affected if they are on a drawbridge (not retracting bridge) when it is pulled up?
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6