Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The Future of the Fortress? It is Grim.  (Read 22295 times)

mazterlith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of the Fortress? It is Grim.
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2011, 09:58:33 pm »

In the grim darkness of the future fortress, dwarves wear leather trenchcoats and wield bone crossbows with bone bolts.

Inspiration!

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
Cool picture all the same.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2011, 10:51:50 pm »

I like the scarcity, it brings us back to the good old days where you locked your military in the armory for YEARS before you even THOUGHT about letting them finish off those goblins, slowly training them into the pinnacle of dwarven Warriorhood when they are given their suit of +Steel Armor+

If you bothered with a military at all, instead of relying on wit and and clever traps to survive the endless hordes.

Good luck chummer.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2011, 11:27:37 pm »

I guess this would be quite a step, but I'm imagining a more transparent mineral generation procedure. We have veins and protrusions and shifts and whatnot, simulating real geographic phenomenon. I guess this is easier said than done, but what if it were made more clear how to intelligently prospect for ore, or speculate what ore might be found where based on the surrounding rock? For example, if one were to take note of a sudden mountain and took note of iron ore some 10 z-levels off the ground, and the total mountain was 25 z-levels high, one might try digging the layer 15 z-layers under the ground away from the mountain. Maybe increase the amount of ore you get from digging out an ore block, but make the deposits themselves small. The events that cause these intrusions could sometimes be recorded as historical events. The Great Earthquake of 203, for instance, which occurred in the Hills of Wrath or something like that. And then you'd know to keep an eye out for indication of some sort of geologic protrusion near the surface. While you can still strip-mine or perform dead-reckoning exploratory mining patterns, it can sometimes be more efficient to hunt down and dig out the other half of that silver vein.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]