Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exploding Booze  (Read 2990 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Exploding Booze
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:16:02 am »

So, with the changes happening and the lack of metals, I'm looking into alternative defensive measures.  How does one go about exploding booze, and how effective of a weapon is this?

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
Re: Exploding Booze
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:20:16 am »

screw that, just have your main entrance closed and a long winding side entrance filled with 10x crossbow traps. It's a massacre...

Meh, true not what the OP asked, but using booze in a way other then consumption is to undwarvenly for me to consider...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:53:03 am by Diakron »
Back to Mafia with me!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:21:58 am »

Your lack of accurate advice is noted.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:29:39 am »

Alcohol in DF boils at 10150 U (182F, 83C), gently scenting the goblins in fine dwarven booze. The burning wood barrel may cause fire damage on the goblins.

Useless as steam. I recommend Paved Roads (b-o) made from coal, set on fire, as goblin-bbq.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:31:55 am »

Exploding booze requires booze in flammable (wooden) barrels and a source of fire, typically magma.

There are two ways to really use fire, and one is to just dump magma right on top of the flammable material, while the other is to dump magma onto grass, starting a grassfire that will burn out of control, setting fire to the entire landscape, just so long as that landscape doesn't have some sort of advanced fireproofing method, like a small rise or dip in elevation.

Honestly, booze explosions are awesome but impractical, as just directly applying magma is often more easily controllable and requires less effort "resetting". 

Grass fires are wonderful if used properly, however, and can literally clear a field of invaders if you have a flat enough embark.  Just be very sure you can't possibly spread the fire into your own fort and that every one of your dwarves and creatures is strictly forbidden from going into the fire.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:33:42 am »

Wood is more plentiful and just as flammable.  Paved roads burn?  I know floor do not...

I typically use a custom "bonfire" mod, that lets you place a flaming workshop anywhere.  It makes so much sense, dwarves being able to use fire as they see fit, right?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:59:56 am »

There are two ways to really use fire, and one is to just dump magma right on top of the flammable material, while the other is to dump magma onto grass, starting a grassfire that will burn out of control, setting fire to the entire landscape, just so long as that landscape doesn't have some sort of advanced fireproofing method, like a small rise or dip in elevation.

So one can block off a part of the surface world from being razed by digging a ring of channels around whatever one doesn't want burned to the ground and just starting the fire outside the channels?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:05:56 am »

Well, de-ramped channels, perhaps, because grass can grown on ramps, I believe.  A floor might be easier, take all that stone and build a 1 tile wide ring of road around your fort.  I don't think fire will move to non-adjacent tiles.  Of course, flaming goblins will move wherever they damn well please.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:08:29 am »

use walls, much easier and blocks !!Goblins!!

Clarifying: Easier to control the fire from spreading to undesired locations
Back to Mafia with me!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 02:22:51 am »

Wood is more plentiful and just as flammable.  Paved roads burn?  I know floor do not...

I typically use a custom "bonfire" mod, that lets you place a flaming workshop anywhere.  It makes so much sense, dwarves being able to use fire as they see fit, right?
Bonfire mod can start grass fires easily, unless it is raining outside...
Grass fires won't go uphill/downhill, unless spread by a burning creature.

Constructions (walls, ramps, floors, stairs, fortifications) don't burn. Buildings do burn. Coal bridges, coal trade depots, and coal paved roads all burn. Wood burns fast, coal burns for months. Supports burn, which can lead to amusement. Wood doors can burn.

Fire heats the tile it is on, as well as adjacent tiles. Magma heats adjacent tiles to 10075 U (107 F, 42 C). This is not enough to damage wood doors that remain closed. It is possible to make a fire, using a bin of coal burning at ~11500 U (or more), that can melt adjacent closed granite doors that could safely hold back magma. Creatures made of flame can be even hotter, and may be able to melt/boil all materials other than a specific exception.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 03:24:40 am »

Horray for microcline :P
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 03:56:35 am »

I notice no one has suggested using barrels of snakeman venom or suchlike instead of booze? I bet that vapour would do some damage. If not, it should be modded so that it does have an inhaled sydrome. Because, really, it should.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 04:27:47 am »

Coal is a bit precious.  I note that roads can also be built out of wood.  That should work, right?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 04:29:32 am »

Coal is a bit precious.  I note that roads can also be built out of wood.  That should work, right?
and if you build it on a natural "floor" that is directly overtop of something on fire, I think it can spread the fire over z levels this way.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 05:02:32 pm »

Hmm, that could be a nice thing to mod in, boiling venom...  Preferably plant poison or from a readily-available animal, even if it's produced in small amounts (like 5 plants for 1 barrel of poison).
Pages: [1] 2