Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Aquifers may become the most useful thing ever if invaders become able to dig  (Read 6574 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile

The main thing that bothers me about the idea of something digging into my fort is that constructions... just aren't the same as worked stone. As absurd as it may seem, a designation that allows me to repair broken natural stone would make all the difference.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est

I'd like to see the ability to destroy constructions, maybe. But mining natural stone seems to go too far, to me.

Certainly they should have the ability to make constructions, though. If the goblins could set up their own fortress and then start lobbing flaming rocknut oil at you from their completely walled in fortress, well... that'd be awesome.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope that there will be some countermeasures agains digging siegers, like having a steel wall around your hall( instead of just rough chalk) that they can't bust no matter what.
Also I think that siegers digging should be "experimental",ie they won't just path to your well/shops/anything, but rely on blind luck to locate the fort. (That is unless they happen to have a human ally that can tell them where is the depot, or happen snatch a child and make it say where are the weakspots.[Also, added hilarity points if kids could lie, leading to invaders busting walls of the arena covered in fresh "Horned 6-legged snails blood", or a trapped FB]).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:46:49 pm by Z1000000m »

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to see it implemented in the following manner.     
2 additional jobs for seigers  Miners and engineers.
Miners are lightly armoured but have moderate weapon skill, can dig through soil slowly and natural stone VERY slowly, but have no idea about the layout of your fortress,  if they hear noise within 10 tiles they'll dig toward it, otherwise they'll dig randomly looking for noise.  If they breach open space or reach construction they'll run for reinforcements. They will also refuse to dig through damp or warm stone unless they are digging toward noise.

Engineers are unarmoured and unskilled in weapons.   Engineers build siege engines bridges or ladders.  their siege engines have a small chance of deconstructing constructions in addition to damaging units. Ladders act as ramps but can be destroyed much easier. 

No other units in the siege can perform these tasks and if a stray crossbowbolt kills their engineer then they're stuck till next siege. and the siege announcement informs you if they brought miners and or engineers.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Yeah, but what happens to these siege engines after the siege?  Do we get to claim them into our own armory?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

or melt them for goblinite

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which would imply that siege engines are foreign, or we get to make our own mobile siege engines (or at least more options for stationary ones).

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Yeah, but what happens to these siege engines after the siege?  Do we get to claim them into our own armory?

Read up on the Helepolis. Good times.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope that there will be some countermeasures agains digging siegers, like having a steel wall around your hall( instead of just rough chalk) that they can't bust no matter what.

Well, and as *having interessting times*/(aka)*fun* this "digging invaders" stuff may sound... then it would be nice to incorporate the already present density tag even more into the engine... so that invaders with just copper chisels/picks, etc. can only dig into stones/minerals where the type of tool has a Hardness (according to Mohs, I don't know in wich scale the english tongue meassures it) greater then the stuff they want to get through.... but that would also mean that our 'lil diggers must obey to that rule also.... so no more, or much more time and tools (wearing down) needed to dig into stuff like obsidian, marble or even limestone with a mere copper item, that would need hardend iron at least (or in general - in the field, for a quick meassurement we geology students use swiss army knifes to indicate hardness of minerals (around 6.5 and above - in fact the victorinox knife is an ideal indicator for hardness of silicates[Edit: oops, meant SiO2 and not Silicates in general] and beyond), and therefore anything lesser than steel would be weared down pretty fast with most of the stone layers present)...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:22:51 pm by Shandra »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

~snip~

have no idea about the layout of your fortress,  if they hear noise within 10 tiles they'll dig toward it, otherwise they'll dig randomly looking for noise.

~snip~

I can totally see my fortresses going into different levels of defcon every time a siege arrives.

Also, if DF ever gets explosives, I would love to see goblins that carry sticks of dynamite (or whatever) and if it becomes impossible to path to the limbs-waiting-to-be-severed inside your fortress, or those limbs are guarded by obvious traps (obvious being: an entire goblin squad just ran into that hall and all I heard was screaming after that... THEY MUST HAVE GOTTEN INSIDE!), then the goblin in question can lite the dynamite at the base of a constructed wall and blow out a small portion of it, opening a pathway to juicy limbs. That would be cool.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile

Having recently watched "The two towers", I would really like to see some sort of suicide bombing goblin who can explode themselves to destroy constructed walls, or to toggle bridges.
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having recently watched "The two towers", I would really like to see some sort of suicide bombing goblin who can explode themselves to destroy constructed walls, or to toggle bridges.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All these ideas sound like fun.  All these additional defensive considerations - walls within walls.  Underground defensive layers.  It just sounds cool.  No more drawbridges!   It gives something like Durin's Bridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moria_(Middle-earth)#Durin.27s_Bridge), value.  You defend the inner layers with deep pits - unless the gobbos bring bridges AND mining equipment underground, they can't get in.  Except by the bridge over the chasm you built.  With fortifications and dwarven defenders on the other side.

Ahh, sounds like bliss to me.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just imagine having underground [enemy] highways kind of like HFS. If you breach a tunnel, you'll likely be unable to push the swarm back and will have to fall back. Imagine The Deep Roads from Dragon Age Origins(If you played it) but all skewed into glorious unfairness like HFS. Oh the possibilities....

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile

Just imagine having underground [enemy] highways kind of like HFS. If you breach a tunnel, you'll likely be unable to push the swarm back and will have to fall back. Imagine The Deep Roads from Dragon Age Origins(If you played it) but all skewed into glorious unfairness like HFS. Oh the possibilities....

But the Deep roads were unfair. as i recall, the dwarves were slowly but steadily loosing, and they welcomed the blights because it gave them a chance to catch thier breath and regroup
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3