Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Two-handed hammers, or "Teaching Goblins to Fly"  (Read 6537 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two-handed hammers, or "Teaching Goblins to Fly"
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »

I HAVE ACHIEVED KNOCKBACK!... On a guineafowl.

Size 1500. The hammer is size 1600 and made of iron. A blow to the body sends it flying two urists away. Progress! However, i don't know if it's contact area, size or velocity that plays the dominant role. I guess i'll just have to experiment, then. I did try kicking the bird, and it remained stationary, so i believe the weapon does play a role here.

@Urist: Maybe i should. :U

Edit: OK, speed plays a role, that's for sure. However, multiplying speed by 10 made it fly 9 urists as opposed to 2, which is a bit odd. I shall keep !!SCIENCE!!'ing.

Second edit: So apparently, the relation between your size and the weapon's minimum size matters. If you're not much bigger, don't expect a lot of knockback, but on the other hand, if you're much bigger, you can send people flying. The difference? Well, John McHammer is size 70000. If the minimum size is 10000, he can send a guineafowl several urists away. If it's 70000, he's struggling to bash it one urist away. yes i'm going to keep using urists as a measure for length
So in theory, setting minimum size really low would give a weapon significant knockback power. I MUST TEST IT.

Third edit: Correction, minimum size is irrelevant. Two-handed size, however, isn't.

¯\(°_o)/¯

All in all, very inconclusive so far.

Slade, Bigger than a giant hammer.
doo iitt

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 08:55:17 pm »

I HAVE ACHIEVED KNOCKBACK!... On a guineafowl.

Size 1500. The hammer is size 1600 and made of iron. A blow to the body sends it flying two urists away. Progress! However, i don't know if it's contact area, size or velocity that plays the dominant role. I guess i'll just have to experiment, then. I did try kicking the bird, and it remained stationary, so i believe the weapon does play a role here.

@Urist: Maybe i should. :U

Edit: OK, speed plays a role, that's for sure. However, multiplying speed by 10 made it fly 9 urists as opposed to 2, which is a bit odd. I shall keep !!SCIENCE!!'ing.

Second edit: So apparently, the relation between your size and the weapon's minimum size matters. If you're not much bigger, don't expect a lot of knockback, but on the other hand, if you're much bigger, you can send people flying. The difference? Well, John McHammer is size 70000. If the minimum size is 10000, he can send a guineafowl several urists away. If it's 70000, he's struggling to bash it one urist away. yes i'm going to keep using urists as a measure for length
So in theory, setting minimum size really low would give a weapon significant knockback power. I MUST TEST IT.

Third edit: Correction, minimum size is irrelevant. Two-handed size, however, isn't.

¯\(°_o)/¯

All in all, very inconclusive so far.

Keep the !!SCIENCE!! going, I would like to figure this relationship out myself.  I have just finished writing the raws on my 50th new weapon, and I need some new ideas.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 08:18:46 am »

Slade, Bigger than a giant hammer.
doo iitt
I tried making Hammer McThunder bigger, but it had no effect on the knockback.

:|

It really is pretty cryptic. Also, yeah, i'll keep doing !!SCIENCE!!, though maybe a bit irregularly. Maybe i should stop making one change to one weapon at a time, and do a carpload of identical weapons with a single variable changed. That way, i can nail the optimal blast-off combination. I have yet to knock a goblin back though, and since they're 40 times heavier than guineafowl (meaning i'll probably have to consistently knock a guineafowl 40 urists back if i am to knock a goblin 1 urist back), i reckon it'll be tricky.

Edit: OK, this is my baseline weapon:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_THUNDER]
[NAME:thunder-hammer:thunder-hammers]
[SIZE:1500]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[TWO_HANDED:50000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:50000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:2000000:60:smash:smashes:NO_SUB:100000]

It causes 2 urists of knockback on a guineafowl. Now to fiddle with stuff. I also noticed that setting the speed way up high completely eliminates knockback, for some odd reason. Animal torture in the name of !!SCIENCE!!? You bet! :P

Second edit: OKAY, i have a few results:
x100 speed: Baseline, 2 urists
x200 speed: 5 urists (7 a few times)
x300 speed: 10 urists
x400 speed: No knockback
x500 speed: No knockback
x0.1 size: 2 urists
x1 size: Baseline, 2 urists
x2 size: 2 urists
x3 size: 2 urists
x4 size: 2 urists

So it would seem that knockback cuts off at a certain limit. And that size isn't very important. I shall provide more data soon. In particular, more extreme size values, more accurate speed, and minimum/two-handed size.

Third edit: My avatar is now relevant. Surely, this will help progress!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:17:56 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 10:21:20 pm »

found a way to bat trolls out to the sky yet?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 12:17:44 pm »

Try experimenting on creatures in flight (Let's say a vulture) and see if you can get knockback.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 02:29:12 pm »

The illithid  void master has a knockback weapon, it seems to go between about 2 - 4  urists away. Maybe you could look at some of the raws in Deons mod for that?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 04:52:19 pm »

The illithid  void master has a knockback weapon, it seems to go between about 2 - 4  urists away. Maybe you could look at some of the raws in Deons mod for that?

That thing can blast limbs off from bronze colossi and utterly annihilate any bodypart it is aimed to. Certainly a start.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 05:22:35 pm »

Provided that Deon doesn't object, i guess it can't hurt to take a peek in the raws. Ever since i punted a bandit around as a bronze colossus, i've wanted to play baseball with bandits as an angry dorf. :P

*rummagerummage*

We're talking about that void blast, right? It seems like Deon made a separate and very large additional bodypart, Void, and attached it to the void master. Said void master is already quite large (10 times human size), so it really doesn't surprise me if that attack causes knockback. However, this calls for SCIENCE. As in, an angry dorf that can shout people away. It must be tried. I'll keep you notified.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »

SCIENCE SUCCESSFUL. Thanks to Deon for this. :D (and huge thanks to everyone who helped me during the modding process as well; you saved me from a major headache!)
So basically, you make a separate creature/caste, which has a HUGE bodypart attached to it. Then you just attack with this bodypart, and watch things go flying. However, a knockback weapon proved inconclusive. I'm decently happy with this though, since it's probably the best alternative, up until Toady fixes it (if he ever does). Here's the raws, if you're interested:

http://www.box.net/shared/2vda15tlxh

Hopefully, you know what to do with them.

Edit: Oh yeah, sorry 'bout the double post.

Second edit:

Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:45:49 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 02:00:38 am »

Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:13 am »

Nope, but now that you mention it, it's one of my better inadvertent stealth puns. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 06:42:52 pm »

Here's the raws, if you're interested:
I am. Do you have a non-download version?
Also, what happens when a bronze colossus punches you in the anger and it goes flying off in an arc?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 07:40:28 pm »

I think invisible implies it can't be targeted, but I may be wrong. I haven't messed with body layouts a lot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3