Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Two-handed hammers, or "Teaching Goblins to Fly"  (Read 6441 times)

Irongrip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Two-handed hammers, or "Teaching Goblins to Fly"
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:06:15 pm »

So, I had a question. I seem to remember some glorious days a while back where, when my adventurer hit something with their war hammer, the thing in question would go whizzing halfway across the screen, as demonstrated by this wonderful excerpt that I saved:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

/drool

So, anyway, I picked up DF again the other day, and got my adventurer going ... and there are no longer any of these wonderful flying lessons! Where did they go? Has there been a change, or does this merely require special gear?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two-handed hammers, or "Teaching Goblins to Fly"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:34:52 pm »

it's a bit harder, & a bit more realistic (remember Newton's 3rd law) now.

You can still send people/things flying, but you generally have to be bigger than them. I think, anyway.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:36:32 pm »

Well in one of my forts some invaders were shooting rabbits with bows that had enough force to send them flying. IT WAS HILARIOUS. Oh how I love the sight and thought of impaled rabbits flying across the sky.
nothing

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:07:47 am »

Any way to mod the game to reinstate these awesome flying gobbos?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:41:24 am »

Self = bronze colossus
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:17:22 am »

Indeed. BCs will cause anything to fly and explode. They can explode your head by 'pinching'.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:12:49 am »

Modding up the weapon raws should also work. Bigger, faster hammers is an easy edit. Or maybe just change around the metal raws to make them denser, but I'll have to check (you'll need to carry around the heavier weapon all of a sudden). I'll have to try to see the breakpoint of actually getting things moving. They might end up becoming a bit "cutty" as a weapon, or just cause very nice injuries with out a goblin launch.

Maybe just editing yourself to be a bronze collosus is easier really. But super-sonic thunderhammers is cool if you can get it to work.
It's a game. Have fun.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:24:00 am »

I recall trying to get this to work with a weapon, and increasing the size of the weapon doesn't have enough of an effect to warrent the speed loss unfortunatly.

Brought an arenadwarf down to I think double digit speed and I think the opposing goblin may have flown a single tile, if that.  :-\

I'd love to hear how to get this to happen if anyone manages it.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:29:37 am »

I recall trying to get this to work with a weapon, and increasing the size of the weapon doesn't have enough of an effect to warrent the speed loss unfortunatly.

Brought an arenadwarf down to I think double digit speed and I think the opposing goblin may have flown a single tile, if that.  :-\

I'd love to hear how to get this to happen if anyone manages it.

Just make a new weapon. Super-fast platinum war hammer. Name it Mjöllnir.  ;)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 05:11:11 am »

I've tried making ludicrously large/fast weapons in the past, and it doesn't help much.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:59:20 pm »

Just going to have to wait for magic, I guess.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:28 am »

Perhaps there is some obscure formula for knockback? I mean, Toady's obviously going for quite a bit of realism in combat, so maybe the weapons are applying joules to the body or something. I'm gonna do some !!SCIENCE!! with this, and see if i can find any kind of correlation between dorf physics and reality. Somehow, i doubt it will happen, but hey.

Edit: Ok, it makes no sense to me. Swinging a 12,56 kg iron thunder-hammer at 120x velocity modifier should knock down a giant, but John McHuman only gets a broken rib. What gives?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:47:23 am by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:44 pm »

if you want knockback you need a contact area large enough to hit every body part at once, massive velocity, for real just make every number as large as possible and whack something with it. hitting only the chest, you break ribs, hitting whole body, you fling em!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:11:07 am »

Perhaps there is some obscure formula for knockback? I mean, Toady's obviously going for quite a bit of realism in combat, so maybe the weapons are applying joules to the body or something. I'm gonna do some !!SCIENCE!! with this, and see if i can find any kind of correlation between dorf physics and reality. Somehow, i doubt it will happen, but hey.

Edit: Ok, it makes no sense to me. Swinging a 12,56 kg iron thunder-hammer at 120x velocity modifier should knock down a giant, but John McHuman only gets a broken rib. What gives?

You should draw it.  :P

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:17:13 am »

I HAVE ACHIEVED KNOCKBACK!... On a guineafowl.

Size 1500. The hammer is size 1600 and made of iron. A blow to the body sends it flying two urists away. Progress! However, i don't know if it's contact area, size or velocity that plays the dominant role. I guess i'll just have to experiment, then. I did try kicking the bird, and it remained stationary, so i believe the weapon does play a role here.

@Urist: Maybe i should. :U

Edit: OK, speed plays a role, that's for sure. However, multiplying speed by 10 made it fly 9 urists as opposed to 2, which is a bit odd. I shall keep !!SCIENCE!!'ing.

Second edit: So apparently, the relation between your size and the weapon's minimum size matters. If you're not much bigger, don't expect a lot of knockback, but on the other hand, if you're much bigger, you can send people flying. The difference? Well, John McHammer is size 70000. If the minimum size is 10000, he can send a guineafowl several urists away. If it's 70000, he's struggling to bash it one urist away. yes i'm going to keep using urists as a measure for length
So in theory, setting minimum size really low would give a weapon significant knockback power. I MUST TEST IT.

Third edit: Correction, minimum size is irrelevant. Two-handed size, however, isn't.

¯\(°_o)/¯

All in all, very inconclusive so far.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:49:06 am by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: [1] 2 3