Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Did you know...?" -- Flammable Floorgrates  (Read 6015 times)

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
Re: "Did you know...?" -- Flammable Floorgrates
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 03:53:59 pm »

Does anyone know if charcoal/coke floor bars would work instead of lignite or graphite? Also cages no longer appear to protect occupants from magma.
nothing

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 06:33:40 pm »

Does anyone know if charcoal/coke floor bars would work instead of lignite or graphite? Also cages no longer appear to protect occupants from magma.

Most "buildings" that are made of flammable materials, including paved roads, grates, bars, doors, hatches, bridges, supports, etc. can be burned. "Constructions" can not be burned.

So yes. Also, hot cage occupants now heat their cages...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 09:42:26 pm »

Most "buildings" that are made of flammable materials, including paved roads, grates, bars, doors, hatches, bridges, supports, etc. can be burned. "Constructions" can not be burned.

So yes. Also, hot cage occupants now heat their cages...

They always did. A caged Spirit of Fire in 40d was an eternal source of steam if you placed it under a waterfall.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:18 pm »

Can't you just opt for a lignite bridge instead of floor grates?

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 12:00:51 am »

If you had a retractable flaming bridge, what would happen if it retracted? Would it not burn anything as retractable bridges disapear at the pull of a lever or would it still burn people among other things that walked through the area it was in? Usually when making a flame trap I dig a channel in my entrance place flammable objects put a retracting bridge over top and add magma to the flammables.
nothing

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 12:29:42 am »

I've no idea. Assuming it's not going to keep burning the floor, I would say you have to reignite the thing every time you lay it back out again.

But then again, if I find myself with enough magma on the surface to set things on fire, I'd rather dump that on goblins rather than give them burning rings to jump through.

Having set elephants on fire before, entities can burn for a long time and survive, and who knows, maybe the goblin could make it through the burning flood gates, and into a certain stockpile...

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45:22 am »

if I find myself with enough magma on the surface to set things on fire, I'd rather dump that on goblins rather than give them burning rings to jump through.

Well, yeah, if you want unnecessary simplicity...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 09:51:59 am »

Well then there's the bonfire mods and suchlike that make other ways to ignite stuff.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 11:53:07 am »

Flammable" animals might be a neat addition to this trap--elephants, in my experience, often survive massive burns (albeit losing all their fat), without the fat elephants can charge through a blazing inferno and be unscathed. I also read yesterday that plump helmets men literally burn forever if ignited.  Can't this deadly hallway instead be a kind of "zoo of flame", where everything is on fire?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

papent

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESS_DESTROYER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 05:39:25 pm »

I have just found my sig
Can't this deadly hallway instead be a kind of "zoo of flame", where everything is on fire?
Can't this deadly hallway instead be a kind of "zoo of flame", where everything is on fire?

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 12:57:42 am »

I don't understand why it needs to just be grates.  Why can't you fill the hallways with !!socks!!?  And wooden crap from the elves?

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 01:51:57 pm »

I don't understand why it needs to just be grates.  Why can't you fill the hallways with !!socks!!?  And wooden crap from the elves?

They wear out faster.  Resetting it would have to take place less than once a month rather than about every 9 months.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 06:00:28 pm »

If you forget to forbid the !!socks!! you would have one hell of a goodtime mess!
Pages: 1 [2]