Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Aquifers may become the most useful thing ever if invaders become able to dig  (Read 6515 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

if the invaders can dig, they'd likely be able to build pumps and such and direct that infinite water into your fort.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile

I can't see enemies having AI good enough to use pumps and digging to actually sabotage your fort.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, in Dungeon Keeper hero dwarves could only breach your fort through natural stone, or (eventually) through fortified walls.

If smoothed stone blocked attempts by non-dwarves to dig through it, that would work as an appropriate defense against digging.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile

What do you guys think?

I think demons from hell don't care about that, since they are coming from the other side.

The world is doomed.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

Just to put this here, Toady said from the very beggining that he wasn't going to add digging invaders. See the back to the dwarf game thread accessable via front page.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to put this here, Toady said from the very beggining that he wasn't going to add digging invaders. See the back to the dwarf game thread accessable via front page.

I think you need to check your facts.

Quote from: ToadyOne link=http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
# Improved sieges

* Eliminate remaining edge-of-map exploits
    * More highly trained attacking soldiers when approprate
    * Many trap exploits are handled above by requiring more to produce a trap, things like cage traps should make more sense vs. large creatures etc. (respect strength/ability vs. material, large cages might be separate object)
    * Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards
          o Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
          o Ability to build bridges/ramps
          o Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb
    * Learning from mistakes if first attempted assault plan fails badly
          o For instance, if many siegers are killed, caged, etc. in a given hallway, they shouldn't generally go that way again, even if that means building/climbing/digging
    * Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework

Truffant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

If max security is needed, I'm thinking on putting my fortress in a cube whose sides are layered (as in a cake ;) with magma and water. Most of the breaches would either burn or drown or if successful in breaching the second layer be encased in obsidian.

would be insane to build and maintain, and gates/access would be equally difficult to build (maybe with pumps, floodgates or bridges)?

btw. hello everyone, it's my first post here and i really like to play df

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

If max security is needed, I'm thinking on putting my fortress in a cube whose sides are layered (as in a cake ;) with magma and water. Most of the breaches would either burn or drown or if successful in breaching the second layer be encased in obsidian.

would be insane to build and maintain, and gates/access would be equally difficult to build (maybe with pumps, floodgates or bridges)?

btw. hello everyone, it's my first post here and i really like to play df

Now that is an idea I quite like. One of the reasons I am in favor of digging enemies is because it forces the player to invest more in his walls than 10 seconds and a useless rock. I feel the elaborate countermeasures in this thread demonstrate the fun to be had with proper defense preparation.

also Hi, so do we :D

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile

Quote from: ToadyOne link=http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
# Improved sieges

* Eliminate remaining edge-of-map exploits
    * More highly trained attacking soldiers when approprate
    * Many trap exploits are handled above by requiring more to produce a trap, things like cage traps should make more sense vs. large creatures etc. (respect strength/ability vs. material, large cages might be separate object)
    * Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards
          o Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
          o Ability to build bridges/ramps
          o Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb
    * Learning from mistakes if first attempted assault plan fails badly
          o For instance, if many siegers are killed, caged, etc. in a given hallway, they shouldn't generally go that way again, even if that means building/climbing/digging
    * Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework

WANT! NOW!
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

I think you need to check your facts.

-snip-
I did. My facts are simply outdated.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 2 [3]