Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: African Killer Bees  (Read 18999 times)

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
African Killer Bees
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:01:04 am »

I know that we all want to weaponize bees but currently the only way to do this is through modding.  So far we only have 2 bees, the honey bee and bumble bee, but what about the African killer bee.  You know the bee that can actually kill people and are very aggressive.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: African Killer Bees
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:05:10 am »

Considering DF's 1400s setting, Africanized killer bees don't exist yet. They were "created" by unleashing one sort of bee in a biome it didn't belong, causing it to turn fuck-off mean and agressive.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:37 am »

Considering DF's 1400s setting, Africanized killer bees don't exist yet. They were "created" by unleashing one sort of bee in a biome it didn't belong, causing it to turn fuck-off mean and agressive.

To be fair though, the real world doesn't have Goblins either. The principle behind them - that one guy thought 'You know, we could do with these bees back home' and accidentally unleashed hell - is quite sound for the period, I think.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:11:38 am »

Africanized honeybees, also known as 'killer bees', were the unintentional result of an attempt to create a more disease-resistant strain of domestic honeybees by crossbreeding with wild African honeybees.  The resulting hybrids inherited the improved disease resistance of the African bees, but also inherited their aggressive swarming behavior.  They then proceeding to escape from the breeding experiment and spread in the wild.

Despite their aggressive behavior, they are used in some areas commercially for honey production.  You just have to be very, very careful when harvesting the honey.

Being an artificial strain, they wouldn't necessarily exist in DF.  An equivalent might be if Goblins had their own breed of Evil bee they used for producing evil honey and defending their (currently non-existent) obsidian towers.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:30 am »

Ninjaed by Sphalerite. But weaponising bees would be fun. Maybe drop hives onto a goblin raiding party unleashing a torrent of angry buzzing. ;D
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »

African Killer bees? Nah. Doesn't fit the theme of DF

Evil biome bees similar to how there are phantom spiders? Yes, very much.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 12:32:15 pm »

I am very much in support of goblins harvesting killer bee evil honey. Nothing quite as evil as using bees.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:33:36 pm »

Open bee raws.

Remove line which says bees die upon sting.

Alter syndrome for total internal necrosis.

Done.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:34:33 pm »

Obviously, evil biome bees harvest nectar from evil plants: eyeball grass and wormy tendrils.  Presumably they wouldn't mind fluid from decaying corpses, either.  'Honey' from these hives must be disturbing indeed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:42:15 pm »

You know what I'd like?

Underground Giant Bee Hives, full of Giant Bees (and Beemen, in some cases). You're just walking along underground, when you come across a floor covered in wax....
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 12:52:26 pm »

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »

Open bee raws.

Remove line which says bees die upon sting.

Alter syndrome for total internal necrosis.

Done.

Seems like a bit much for balanced* gameplay. Obviously evil biome bees need to be able to do damage, but with the sheer numbers bees come in outright death seems a bit much. Perhaps a syndrome that causes nausea to outright vomiting, ability loss/complete numbness of an extremity, blurred vision/weakness/general fatigue symptoms and possibly localized necrosis that wouldn't be deadly if it wasn't operated on 'sooner rather than later'. I'm also not sure if it is possible, but the syndrome could also 'stack' so one bee sting is just meh but 50-100 stings and the victim is dead.

*Balanced meaning: Not fair in the least bit, but still fun while preserving the Fun of evil biomes.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:09:53 pm »

Do you guys remember that Futurama episide were fry is stung by a gaint bee?  And the delicious but poisonous royal jelly that 3 spoonfuls make you fall asleep forever.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 01:29:18 pm »

Has anyone modded dogs that bark and shoot bees at people?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 01:33:32 pm »

Has anyone modded dogs that bark and shoot bees at people?

I doubt you can do that with how the current raws are made, but I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Pages: [1] 2