Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to set cleaning designations?  (Read 1481 times)

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
Ability to set cleaning designations?
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:13:22 am »

This would make it a lot easier to clean up a mess if you could tell your dwarves to clean...

Just set a designation rectangle over the messy area and any tiles with contaminants will get cleaned, maybe even the ability to specify what to clean? (mud, blood etc)
i like goats

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to set cleaning designations?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:53:49 pm »

oh yeah that would be nice.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:29:04 pm »

For that matter, could one of the "advanced" ways to 'I'nteract with an item in Adventure Mode include using a liquid or similar substance to clean or coat an item?

It would give you a way to clean off blood from items without diving into a body of water or coat your weapons with poison or clown extract.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »

Toady made a deal with Intel, that's why blood,mud, vomit and all those crap spread in the first place.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 03:19:14 pm »

A clean area designation would be a very nice addition. Since it can be added or removed at any time, I can't see any downside to adding it.

Bernard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 06:01:47 pm »

Given the problems surrounding automated cleaning, it would seem a much more elegant solution to have it manually designated and treated like any other designated job at that point.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 07:10:28 pm »

Yes, please!  I was going to request this one, too.  The designation menu is perfect for telling the dwarves what to clean.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 07:25:22 pm »

A cleaning designation would be good, but only if it worked outside, since cleaning currently only works inside (on tiles marked "subterranean").  And outside is where all of my mud/blood/etc. problems occur.  Surprisingly, my dwarfs keep the inside quite clean.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 08:15:24 pm »

And outside is where all of my mud/blood/etc. problems occur.  Surprisingly, my dwarfs keep the inside quite clean.

Hit o r o (i think) Then dwarves will clean up the area outside. I haven't seen too many issues with cleaning, still it could be a nice addtion.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

name

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 02:20:41 pm »

I'm surprised, then, that this idea hasn't been added to the eternal september page. Given the new poisonous contaminants (just lost half my fort due to lethal forgotten beast blood being shed into the main corridor, had to wall it off), problems with too many contaminants building up and the way mud works (including problems with vegetation perminantly ripping up unpaved stone floor and replacing it with sand - atmospheric in a ruined/declining fort but just silly otherwise) now it would be very helpful. Also quite easy to impliment, I imagine.

There could be a permanent "keep clean" designation and a "clean once" one, or just the latter.