Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Site Finder Suggestion  (Read 965 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Site Finder Suggestion
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:48:51 pm »

It's very possible this has been suggested before, but I would REALLY love it if the site finder had a Volcano and Oceanside tags. Oceanside in particular. I could sort of see Toady not wanting to make it easy to embark with a perfect volcano site... but the site already exists, not including it in the site finder just makes it take longer to find. I don't see any reason at all not to include an oceanside tag.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: Site Finder Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:35:06 am »

i would also want:

flux should be marked as shallow or deep as metal is on the main screen, changing flux finder form n/a, none, yes to n/a, none, shallow, deep, any
the top rock type should be shown as there are boulders and pebbles of it around everywhere (if its not on a mountain anyway) it just sucks you cant plan at all which type of rock you encounter (sediments, vulcanic, etc.)
basicly on same thing: add init option to get the old embark screen back which shows exact top layer types
make sand findable with the finder an show on embark screen! clay is findable too, i know clay is a new fancy thing, but sand is somewhat more important

also th reason "it should not be so easy to find the perfect location" is somewhat odd, i mean, there are people having no fun at all having to test 100 of sites to find something they maybe like
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:44:11 am »

While this has been suggested atleast 69,105 times, this is the first time I personaly have seen the ocean side suggestion. Kudos to you for origenality!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:16:26 am »

Yes, I'd actually suggest you modify your first post to say "find oceanside" in the title, so that people know what it is you are suggesting.  There have been a great many suggestions about the site finder, so it's best to differentiate it.

I'm not sure what you mean by having a volcano next to an ocean being a "perfect site" that Toady is opposed to (unless you mean for mermaid or sea serpent farming, although I'm not sure Toady is opposed to the sea serpent farming, at the least), but I think this is an idea that could certainly be useful to a certain subset of players.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare