Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: These rabbits are made of air  (Read 14170 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: These rabbits are made of air
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »

<Insert Monty Python reference here>

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »

Alright, let me run some quick bunny slaughters and test.

Edit: Hmm. Yeah, even indoors no products. Odd. Well, can always add the trainable tag to them and have an army of war rabbits.

Oh god. With their sharp pointy teeth!
RUN AWAAAAAAAAY!!!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 07:50:52 pm »

Looks like goats/sheep are the best choice for embark meat/food/craft production. They require little grazing so you can have more of them meandering the pen before it's devoid of grass. The sheep give wool and the goats milk.

I suppose you could keep rabbits as pure pets and have tantrum spirals when they haven't grazed for a while down the mineshaft.

Birds, for the most part, aren't grazers yet, so they're also a good buy, so long as they are large enough to produce meat.  (Plus they're all dirt cheap, and practically shoot eggs out like some kind of avian gattling gun.)

Turkeys are the largest birds (5,000 at two years, remember, 1 year to adulthood, but 2 years to full growth).  Turkeys also lay 10-14 eggs at a time.  This should make turkeys the best purchase for food production potential, followed by geese and peacocks, which are up to 4,500 and 4,000 in size, respectively.  Geese lay much half the eggs, however. 

Nothing seems to lay more eggs than turkeys, though, so hey, make yourself some turkey sandwiches with boiled turkey eggs on top.  (Now we just need to make some turkey egg mayonaise...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:59 pm »

Looks like goats/sheep are the best choice for embark meat/food/craft production. They require little grazing so you can have more of them meandering the pen before it's devoid of grass. The sheep give wool and the goats milk.

I suppose you could keep rabbits as pure pets and have tantrum spirals when they haven't grazed for a while down the mineshaft.

Birds, for the most part, aren't grazers yet, so they're also a good buy, so long as they are large enough to produce meat.  (Plus they're all dirt cheap, and practically shoot eggs out like some kind of avian gattling gun.)

Turkeys are the largest birds (5,000 at two years, remember, 1 year to adulthood, but 2 years to full growth).  Turkeys also lay 10-14 eggs at a time.  This should make turkeys the best purchase for food production potential, followed by geese and peacocks, which are up to 4,500 and 4,000 in size, respectively.  Geese lay much half the eggs, however. 

Nothing seems to lay more eggs than turkeys, though, so hey, make yourself some turkey sandwiches with boiled turkey eggs on top.  (Now we just need to make some turkey egg mayonaise...)

That shouldn't be hard. I'd suggest globs, however, instead of liquids, since I've heard reports that using liquid foodstuffs is hard.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 08:03:52 pm »

That shouldn't be hard. I'd suggest globs, however, instead of liquids, since I've heard reports that using liquid foodstuffs is hard.

Research time!

Hmmm... apparently, you need egg, oil (hello, use for oil!), and either vinegar or lemon juice (vinegar is just alcohol you leave out too long, right?)

I guess that means that, unless we want to make a special "make vinegar" reaction, then we just mix those three together (maybe 2 egg, 2 oil and 1 alcohol?) to make a stack of 5 mayonnaise?

I'd honestly rather it be a liquid if possible, so that it doesn't get used as the main ingredient of a food, but I haven't tried modding food yet, so I'm not sure on that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 08:17:48 pm »

<Insert Monty Python reference here>

New megabeast: Vorpal rabbit
prefstring: nasty, big, pointy teeth

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 08:26:36 pm »

I had an idea that I hesitated to bring forth, due to trickiness to program plus probably already being planned.

Make training war and hunting animals dependent on new castes that the critter gets converted into. Thus, you could indeed get a war rabbit with speed:100 and massive slashing damage with its bite, rather then the current hard coded variant it has.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:49 pm »

Make training a caste-level token?  I'm not sure, it'd be easy to do but may not actually work.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 04:19:08 am »

Research time!

Hmmm... apparently, you need egg, oil (hello, use for oil!), and either vinegar or lemon juice (vinegar is just alcohol you leave out too long, right?)

I guess that means that, unless we want to make a special "make vinegar" reaction, then we just mix those three together (maybe 2 egg, 2 oil and 1 alcohol?) to make a stack of 5 mayonnaise?

I'd honestly rather it be a liquid if possible, so that it doesn't get used as the main ingredient of a food, but I haven't tried modding food yet, so I'm not sure on that.
Who needs vinegar when you can have the extremely dwarven +wild turkey dwarven ale mayonaise+?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 04:24:31 am »

A link to a post I just made on the modding side, regarding science I did on this issue.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78108.0

TL;DR - critters need to be over size 2000 to return any bones, meat, or fat. This does not include rabbits or cavy, but a 2-year chicken or turkey is fine.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 10:24:01 am »

Ah, so the problem, then, is that people aren't waiting until 2 years of age?

(Well, and the fact that "immature adults" are 2/5ths the size of a "full adult" for some odd reason.)

Who needs vinegar when you can have the extremely dwarven +wild turkey dwarven ale mayonaise+?

I'm not sure something can be made of the name of two different materials at the same time, although alcoholic mayonnaise certainly sounds dwarfy.

Apparently, what you use depends on where you live.  The Spanish have different recepies from the French, and the French use mustard in the recepie (which also involves vinegar).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:27:19 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 10:26:42 am »

no, rabbits will never grow big enough to yield any meat, getting only to about size 500 at age 2. Chickens however grow to about size 3000 when they're 2 years old, so they should yield some meat according to that table.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 05:52:35 pm »

The human caravan just brought me a stack of rabbit meat [5]

I can see where special delicacies like monarch butterfly brains only come from caravans- they can't be butchered by dorfs. Rabbits, however, can. I'll go perform some science to see if waiting 2 years will provide delicious rabbit fricassee.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2011, 06:16:34 pm »

If you could butcher monarch butterflies, they would be too small to yield brains or any other meat.  The meats you can get in caravans are not restricted by the actual size of animals, so you can get meats that you will never get from animals from the caravan.

When you butcher an animal, DF first breaks it down into all of its independent body parts, then checks the size of each one against a fixed limit.  Each body part that's over a certain size then contributes one or more of each tissue type in that body part.  There is therefore some weirdness where the minimum size for an animal to produce meat and the amount of meat you get is partially determined by the number of body parts the animal has.  Rabbits have to have a minimum size of 1729 before they give any meat.  Rabbits have a maximum adult size of 500, so even with creature size variation they'll never get large enough to yield any meat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:40 pm »

Well damn, now what do i do with this breeding pair of rabbits?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4