Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #11: Feedback  (Read 35091 times)

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #11: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 04:29:37 pm »

I can't wait for the implementation of cereal!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 04:43:39 pm »

Yeah, I like the rambling.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 05:05:41 pm »

I really enjoyed the chemistry when the three of you are all interacting.
It affects the pace and direction in a positive manner, so while I really enjoy these talks, I'd rather wait a bit longer until you guys can get your schedules all lined up.

The sound quality (echo, difference in levels for the different speakers, etc) was indeed subpar. I found it a bit bothersome at some points.

As for the mentioned rambling, on the whole that's enjoyable. There's only a few occasions where it becomes 'too much'.

And finally, subject wise I'd prefer a more indepth talk, rather than referencing different aspects and Arcs more shallowly.

Thanks! Much love,
Naros

edit: The reason I didn't mention the music, is because it's all positive. <3

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:37:59 am by Naros »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 05:09:20 pm »

Ok! So I just finished listening to this and I LOVE it! Wow, i'd almost forgoten how amazing these are...

@ the ongoing discussion: I love the editing and style. The combination of soothing music, tarns fantastic voice and it's oh so calm and steady pace, the causual and a bit rambling conversations... it's amazingly destressing and soothing and calming. It'd be great for meditation and stuff I think actualy.

Anywya, so i were taking notes while I were listening but I'm a bit to lazy and a bit to stressed out to actualy sort throguth all of it and checking so it's apropriate, So I'll just dump it in a spoiler for people to comen on:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

is it posible to get just the music, in full, somehow?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 05:54:46 pm »

I like the rambling.

That said, the personality bit felt a little....light in this Talk. But it sounds like it's a big issue with huge implications (that tends to send Toady off track or stuttering, I'm sure as he internally processes all the schtuff he'd like to do), so I'm mostly satisfied, knowing we'll be moving away from satisfying happiness, and moving toward just dealing with the outcomes of personality gen vs. events.

Excited to hear about ruins. Hoping that all gets rolled into the rumor function, so it reports more rumor-like stuff and less random information about world gen personalities.

Also, bubbles.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:16:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 07:00:39 pm »

I have to disagree with jiri, I love the rambling too. I don't want more structure, I want more rambling! Less structure would make it much easier on the hosts (esp Toady) to convey to us what they want the most in DF. Plus I think that talking about favorite stuff is much easier than talking about non-favorite stuff and provides for a more entertaining show.

If the next episode is all about adventurer sheep ranches I'll buy an mp3 player just so I can put the podcast on repeat and listen to capn's soothing voice instead of the lullaby channel while driving.

Also, I watched two of the indiana jones movies over the weekend as a coincidence before listening to the cast and I heard someone singing the indiana jones theme. That's awesome. We require more singing!
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 07:39:52 pm »

The thing about the rambling for me is, without it you'd not see the big picture. Talking about one feature begets talking about other features to accomplish said feature...and a lot of devs hand wave that stuff, because it means more work. When Toady rambles, it shows he's aware of the possibilities, the problems, the necessities...all that junk, before he goes into writing it. It makes for a long talk, but it keeps me interested in DF's development.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:28 pm »

no transcript this time? That's disappointing.. my speakers are broken..  :'(

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 07:47:59 pm »

Well usally mallocks gets the trascripts doneafter 2 weeks or so. Could take more time thought.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 07:51:56 pm »

I'm working on it, but I get it the same time as you guys and it's a long'un (likely to be on the order of 16'000 words). I'll do my best.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:54:12 pm by mallocks »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 09:28:06 pm »

Ah, DF Talk, how I love thee.

Now back to the bees!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 10:32:08 pm »

Thanks guys!

And thanks mallocks!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 02:56:58 am »

structure would certainly help in some areas where the ramblings become less musing and more rambling.

Especially since Toady, Cap, and Rainseeker have an incredible ability to repeat things they already said multiple times (It is starting to get pretty bad).

Though it is probably just because I am sleepy

Anyhow I don't mind the ramblings as a whole and I wouldn't like to see the tangent go.

I'll comment more when I am not so sleepy. Afterall I am probably just talking out of exhaustion.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:16 am »

Yeah, before I tried to get the episode to mallocks early so he'd get a shot a transcribing it, but lately they've been so delayed I'm just happy to get them up at all.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 06:45:39 am »

Awesome Talk, Thank You guys!

...as to rambling, I wouldn't mind if We were to get "Dwarf Fortress Ramble #1", and then more and more of those, without much editing. Then maybe those recordings could reach us more often, apart of the "Talks", where specific questions are answered and therefore must to be worked on, edited and sorted out.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5