Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chickens + [TRAINABLE] = War Chickens?  (Read 4836 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Chickens + [TRAINABLE] = War Chickens?
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »

Given the rapid breeding rate of fowl, I've been thinking about adding the [TRAINABLE] tag to the Chicken raws and forming an army of War Chickens.

Would this work? Would it require a world regen, or would it work in an existing fort? Would they be useful for anything? The typical Dwarf has a beard that you could hide a Chicken in... could my Military Dwarves fire War Chickens out of their beards? How cool is THAT?

Fear! the ferocious fanatical fighting fowl of... my fort...

... led by their veteran Chicken Sargeant, Buck Bukaw (so named because of his blood-curdling battle-squawk, "Buc-Buc-Buk-BUKAW!")
Never pet a burning dog.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Chickens + [TRAINABLE] = War Chickens?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »

It does not require a world regen, and I believe it could work. There's downsides, though. Chickens need to graze, or they'll starve, and assigning them to your millitia dorfs will do that. Then comes the fact that they're not very large, and ergo won't do much damage to invaders - they'll provide moving targets that'll distract them, though. And before you ask "chicken bomb?", caged chickens will also get hungry.

Stick with war dogs.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 03:43:12 pm »

I have a war giraffe.  I think this is better than any other war animal even though it is probably useless.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Cameo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:35:43 pm »

Surely if you were modding in [TRAINABLE] you could remove the [NEEDSTOGRAZE] or whatever it's called?
Dwarf fortress... The only place where it is a viable economic alternative to use silver for bulk storage of random trinkets.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:37:14 pm »

Chickens are not grazers, they do not have the [GRAZER] tag, ergo they do not need to eat (yet).  However, they have a maximum size of 3000 at 2 years of age, so they will be pretty useless in combat, especially against armed intruders.  Still good for a laugh.

JMZ

EDIT: For reference, dogs have a max size of 30,000, 10 times the size of chickens.  They are ok, sometimes, against unarmored opponents.  Usually.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:39:39 pm by JmzLost »
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

Increase their size times a million.

It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »

Hunting Chickens.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 05:18:53 pm »

No... NO!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Memories...swarming back... ARGH, NO, I'M SORRY I HURT YOUR BROTHER, MY EYES! SO MANY CHICKENS! IT HURTS! (cookie (::) for ref)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:58:23 pm »

No... NO!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Memories...swarming back... ARGH, NO, I'M SORRY I HURT YOUR BROTHER, MY EYES! SO MANY CHICKENS! IT HURTS! (cookie (::) for ref)

Best use of the Master Sword: CUCKOO HUNTING
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 06:14:28 pm »

can bees have the "war trainable" tag?

suddenly... war bees, thousands of them...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 06:17:59 pm »

I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »

Wait till we get ostriches (if we do), then make them rideable and war trainable.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:57 am »

I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Add the "carnivore" tag, "large predator", and "likes fighting", then call them velociraptors.  PET and MOUNT tags are also a must.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.