Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: harcore mode - low skill gain  (Read 2286 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
harcore mode - low skill gain
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »

i always thought it was a bit silly that a dwarf could reach legendary status with just a month practicing his trade, so i came up with this mod.
add these tags to the dwarf creature on creature_standard.txt

Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)

i usually play with military skills at normal rates, but i'm going to try them nerfed down with the other skills, so that's what i'm uploading. i'm leaving student and teacher at normal rates, though

the mod nerfs skill gain to one tenth of normal gain, deactivates skill gain for a bunch of skills that i consider unqualified(beware it includes mining), but also deactivates skill rusting, since skills are now so hard to acquire

this mod goes great with nerfed down farming and the new metal scarcity, and almost makes danger rooms and training workshops fair game

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: harcore mode - low skill gain
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:46:02 pm »

Fascinating mod. I'm in the mood for a good laugh, let's see how Urist McBoltthrower likes this...

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:25:53 pm »

There still is the problem with migrants which come legendary and rend your training useless.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:10:27 pm »

eh, they're not silly, they practiced their trades for many years before migrating to your fortress, it's fair for them to keep their ranks

those useless farmers and miners, though, claiming to be "high masters", how hard can it be to swing a pick or throw a few seeds into a plot? i took care of those...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:16:46 pm »

Yep, also lowered skill gains probably affect migrants as well, to a lower effect but still.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:15:27 am »

This is dead sexy, and I'm slapping it onto my version. Askot Bokbondeler, your aspirations to make life hell for all dwarf kind is an inspiration to us all, and you should be proud to wear the title of modder.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:17:47 pm »

Good afternoon.

I haven't looked at the relevant raws myself (assuming I could figure it out), but I did have a thought about this issue the other day while testing .19. What really needs to happen is to change the skill progression from a linear scale to a logarithmic or exponential one. The current wiki page doesn't list the skill progression data, but IIRC it's either completely linear or damned close. A more appropriate scale would make it easy to learn the basics, while making it increasingly difficult to attain the higher levels, with LEGENDARY an all-but-unachievable goal.

Rochndil, who thinks he spelled logarithmic correctly...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 02:28:10 pm »

It's definitely NOT linear, for higher levels you need more and more XP, but still it's not even close to an exponent.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 03:55:39 pm »

You're correct Deon. I finally found the table on the wiki.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Experience

Code: [Select]
Lvl Title XP
0 Dabbling 1
1 Novice 500
2 Adequate 1100
3 Competent 1800
4 Skilled 2600
5 Proficient * 3500
6 Talented 4500

Lvl Title XP
7 Adept 5600
8 Expert 6800
9 Professional 8100
10 Accomplished 9500
11 Great 11000
12 Master 12600
13 High Master 14300

Lvl Title XP
14 Grand Master 16100
15 Legendary 18000
16 Legendary+1** 20000
17 Legendary+2** 22100
18 Legendary+3** 24300
19 Legendary+4** 26600
20 Legendary+5*** 29000

From 0 to 1 is 500xp, while from 14 to 15 (Legendary) is only 1,900. Considering that as dwarves improve in experience, they accomplish more, and do faster (both from stat-ups and skill-ups) the system is heavily stacked to produce multiple-legendaries with little effort. A more sensible system would make the highest level DRAMATICALLY more difficult to achieve than about 4x the lowest. I'm fiddling with other stuff right now, but this is definitely an area where I'd like to see a more appropriate progression. Anyone who likes my suggestion is welcome to use and abuse it at their pleasure.

Rochndil, who ain't great at math...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:32:02 am »

am cut off from the internet for the rest of the month, but i'm just gonna leave a comment here

playing with military skills in slow progression is fucking hard! you have to balance a low fortress value to avoid being attacked to early, so you have to be careful with legendary dining rooms, this combined with a constant lack of booze, derived from a moded low yield crop, and long training seasons, means tantrums are a constant danger

and extremelly weak war dogs!!(i moded their size to produce less meat, they now die fighting ducks) i assigned two to each dwarf, i now notice they're so weak their only use is to give their owner a bad thought when they are inevitably butchered...

this is the most fun i had in years. as soon as i lose, and believe me, i'm gonna lose, i'm gonna polish this up a bit and release it as "askot's fucking hard mod"

main features:
plump helmets are no longer growable, they're extremely common, though, and you can gather them from caverns with your 0 skill herbalists
cave weat, pig tail and dimple cups take 3 seasons to grow, you have to plant all your seeds in early to mid spring or risk losing your seeds, they only grow in  clusters of 1, and your farmers never gain skill...
downgraded the value of plants, if you want to make cloth trading a viable industry you must dye it
plump helmets and cave wheat are the only underground booze producing plants
dogs die fighting ducks(this is unintended, although FUN!) and produce only 6 meat, no organ meat form any animal
most large animals reach their full size only at their third or fourth year of life

ii've also added a few features to make life a bit easier
i'm trying, with limited success, to include boiled leather as a better alternative to leather as armor material
included reactions to create spears and clubs from wood and bone
got rid of most useless metals, all that is left is iron, copper, tin, silver and gold, alloy metals are steel, bronze and electrum, this means that if at embark you see *metals*, it probably means metals
added reactions to give all civs access to metals despite their starting locations

there's more, but my laptop ran out of power, see ya...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:35:11 am »

i'm trying, with limited success, to include boiled leather as a better alternative to leather as armor material
Eheh..
"A merchant is caught in a cloud of boiling boiled leather".

Sorry, couldn't resist the joke :P. If you were modding stuff pre-df2010, you should get the reference.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 02:32:30 pm »

Someone might find this useful:
for the dwarf creature and DF .31.25.
Code: [Select]
[VIEWRANGE:28] --for better see-target-creatures range, birds should have range 40.
[SKILL_RATES:115:60:12:120] --custom 115%, mostly mining and stonedetailing go up too fast.

[SKILL_RATE:DODGING:145:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:MELEE_COMBAT:140:60:12:120] --the primary xp points of combat.
[SKILL_RATE:WRESTLING:105:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:SNEAK:155:60:12:120] --for hunters
[SKILL_RATE:CRUTCH_WALK:165:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:KNOWLEDGE_ACQUISITION:155:60:12:120] --student, can embark with military teacher.

[SKILL_RATE:ARMOR:165:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:SHIELD:155:60:12:120]

[SKILL_RATE:HAMMER:145:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:AXE:145:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:CROSSBOW:145:60:12:120]

[SKILL_RATE:DRESS_WOUNDS:100:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:DIAGNOSE:100:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:SURGERY:90:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:SET_BONE:100:60:12:120]
[SKILL_RATE:SUTURE:90:60:12:120]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884