Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Door placement weirdness  (Read 326 times)

Upthorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Door placement weirdness
« on: August 26, 2006, 04:58:00 pm »

I've run into this issue in the most recent two builds of Dwarf Fortress, though it may be in earlier ones as well.

For some reason, I cannot place doors on the top row of 2 wide hallways. Or in many other places where they should be placeable.

In most cases the determining factor seems to be whether or not a door can be placed one square below it, but this isn't always the case.

For instance    The gate to my fortress, I would like to place a door two plots below my current door, but, for some reason, I can't.
Failing that, I would like to be able to place a door two plots below and one plot in from my current door. But I can't do that either. Please explain this, or remedy it.

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: Door placement weirdness
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 05:43:00 pm »

Cool, a support acts as a walkthrough wall. You could potentially put doors in wierd locations.

So, with your problem, you place a support on the lowest green X in your picture and you will be able to place your door where you want it.

For door placement, the program looks for a wall/support two or three units away in a straight line from another wall/support. Whether it does so for other doors, I haven't checked. But, keeping on the topic, those invalid and valid placements seem perfectly unbuggy.

You can't place it where you wanted because I suspect that the tunnel continues with 2 clear spaces downward, while the workshop on the left(which I never thought could be used as a wall) also has a clear line extending past three units left to right like so:

code:

....XX...
..X.XXXXX
X...D....
XX..X.O..
..X-+-...
X.X.|XXXX
..X.|XXX.

X signifying a wall
. signifying a clear floor
D is the existing door
O being the support
and the dashes attempting to show what I was trying to say.

Add a support just under the plus sign in my example, and hopefully you can deploy a door just above it.

[ August 26, 2006: Message edited by: GrimmSweeper ]

Upthorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GrimmSweeper:
<STRONG>Cool, a support acts as a walkthrough wall. You could potentially put doors in wierd locations.

So, with your problem, you place a support on the lowest green X in your picture and you will be able to place your door where you want it.

For door placement, the program looks for a wall/support two or three units away in a straight line from another wall/support. Whether it does so for other doors, I haven't checked. But, keeping on the topic, those invalid and valid placements seem perfectly unbuggy.

You can't place it where you wanted because I suspect that the tunnel continues with 2 clear spaces downward, while the workshop on the left(which I never thought could be used as a wall) also has a clear line extending past three units left to right like so:

code:

....XX...
..X.XXXXX
X...D....
XX..X.O..
..X-+-...
X.X.|XXXX
..X.|XXX.

X signifying a wall
. signifying a clear floor
D is the existing door
O being the support
and the dashes attempting to show what I was trying to say.

Add a support just under the plus sign in my example, and hopefully you can deploy a door just above it.

[ August 26, 2006: Message edited by: GrimmSweeper ]</STRONG>

Okay, that algorithm does logically lead to those placable/unplacable plots.

However, I am of the opinion that in the following formation

code:
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX

All of the .s should be placable for doors.
instead, though
when I go to place a door, I find
code:
XXXXXXXXX
---------
+++++++++
XXXXXXXXX

(where + is placable, and - is not).

This is, again, logically consistant with the algorithm you described.

However, it doesn't. make. sense.
Hence my claim of bugginess.

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »

Then yes, you have a bug. I don't think I understood the problem. :/

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:43:00 am »

I do not have this problem.  In your two-wide hallway, I can place a door in all of those locations.  

Legal door placements:

code:

X
D  XDX
X

?X? O?O ??O O??
?D? ?D? XD? ?DX
O?O ?X? ??O O??

Where X is a blocker, D is a door, O is open and ? is anything.

Example illegal placements:

code:

OOX XOX
ODO ODO
XXX XXX

Don't ask me why.  In any case, I'm not getting your two-wide hallway issue, which would point to a larger problem.  If the problem falls within these models, that's something else.  I don't even remember why I set it up this way.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!