Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bromance of the Dwarven Kingdoms  (Read 8434 times)

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bromance of the Dwarven Kingdoms
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 03:36:14 am »

Sorry for the minor thread necromancy, but I just read this after following the link from the farming thread.

I really like some of the ideas here, especially your particular brand of agents as the primary means of outside interaction.  I feel that it fits in really well with the current character, skill, and task based system that makes up a large part of DF.  The vast bulk of the mechanics for this seem like they're already in the game, and it's just a matter of providing things for agents to do, plus an interface to send them out.

Things to do will come naturally from Toady's already stated near future goals for Caravans and Armies.  For example, once food shipments and starvation continue past worldgen, it may be possible to send an agent out to hire bandits to starve out rivals, or perhaps poison their shipments.  This could weaken future invasions, or perhaps leave them in a weaker bargaining position on the diplomatic table (another obvious place agents would be useful for).   And with armies traveling the world map, you would want to have spies tell you where they are, what their composition is, or perhaps raise guerrillas to bloody them up a bit before they reach you.

In short, I really like the idea of agents as the main mediator as you expand past fort level management, and I feel that it's a natural extension of the current game state and it's near term plans.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:52 am »

Isn't it wonderful how a new world of evil opens up the instant anything is added or proposed to be added into DF?  As soon as we got ceramics and bees, the threads on how to weaponize them opened up.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:38:17 am »

Should mention, I especially love the idea of the Kingdom mode, and the idea of continuous dwarven civilization.  I always wanted to found mountain halls that I can actually maintain, rather than abandon when I get bored.  Such things like 'rebuilding the dwarven civilization' then become possible.  I've had many worlds where the dwarves were a besieged group in a corner surrounded by goblins, orc, and angry elves.  I want to fight my way out of that corner. 

Army arc will help, and just be amazing.  Been waiting for the time when where you settle seriously effects the forces against you, just think if settling near goblins meant sieges almost from day 1?  On more serious notes, however, the idea of Agents being the best form of interaction is one I very much like, especially if they also acted as nobles in most cases, requiring you to do other things besides killing them.  Think of the choice, a noble who's legendary in diplomacy, who saved your fort single handed from the human armies by talking them out of it, and then you find out he loves Slade . . .

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 11:14:07 am »

"Kingdom Mode" has been proposed before, at the very least, and Toady already had a Kingdom Arc, and at least some idea of what he wanted to be able to do.

Core30, KINGDOM, (Future): If you manage to get the monarch of the dwarves to arrive, you should obtain at least indirect control over the entire corresponding dwarven civilization. This includes the movement of all dwarven armies on the map and the ability to make the most important diplomatic decisions. Requires Core28.

I just tried to make a more comprehensive and detailed idea.

I think the game is going to be progressing in this direction, anyway, I just hope that a few neat features similar to agents or multiple loyalty types can be added in to give you a better way to interact with the world in more ways than just mashing your big stack of troops into their big stack of troops.

(actually, I should put more effort into making a better suggestion regarding how troop formations work.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:15:43 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]