Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Something-Vania! (An experiment in mapping and insanity)  (Read 12921 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Something-Vania! (An experiment in mapping and insanity)
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:52:32 am »

Some back story, if you will:

Cue epic music!

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

But now....it begins again!

Spoiler: The Front Gate (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Overview (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Entry Hall (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Grand Tour (click to show/hide)

Link to incomplete image album

All told, this represents about 1 day of Richard-Dreyfus-in-Close-Encounters-Of-The-Third-Kind-like work.

Obviously, I have a ton of work left to do. The previous map I did had a full hedge maze and tons of imported models that made the map look much spiffier. I have a lot of detail work to do as well. Windows, doors, facades, surface textures, all that shiz.

After that is finished, I will begin mapping the interior. Oh yes, that's right, that's how fucking crazy I am. Yet it's achievable! Why? Notice that little women in the screen shot? That's the scale, which I started with first and foremost. Every inch of this castle is in a "realistic" scale.*

*Few castles have curtain walls that are .5 miles long, or built keeps that were over 100' in the air. Mine has both.

Which leads me to part 3.....what the hell am I doing all this for? Well, like I said, it's an obsession firstly. So it's going to get done anyways :P

But eventually....I'd like to do one or maybe both things:

1. Run a D&D campaign with my friends using this castle as our setting. I will use a PC to render the map to players in real time, so instead of 20 minute-long scene descriptions, I'm just going to go "This is what it looks like." Most of my effort would consist of moving the map around for the players, and measuring things if they can't eyeball it.

2. If I can't get a group going to play this (or I do and it works well.....) I would like to run a forum game, starring this map as the centerpiece. This won't be for a while....but just some ideas....

-Forum members form a party, or play as single individuals exploring the castle.
-I write a forum-friendly RPG system to handle it all. (Was planning on writing a Castlevania RPG game anyways.)
-Game consists of players trying to get through the castle alive to solve the dark mystery (that everyone knows) behind it. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:33:07 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Something-Vania! (An experiment in mapping and insanity)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:07:00 am »

:o Holy sweet mother of Simon Belmont. That is bat-shit flipping-nuts awesome. I commend you for your project and I hope there be more pics in the future.

The only thing I criticize on is that, as a Casltevania, it needs to be taller.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:28:50 am »

Taller?

TALLER?

The top of the clock tower is 500'! The depth of the map, eventually, will be about the same. The curtain walls themselves are 100' feet tall. I didn't do much research, but I'm pretty sure most medieval castle walls didn't get that high. The keep starts about, oh, 150' feet in the air. Again, that's obscenely tall compared to real life. The clock tower is the equivalent of a skyscraper.

I think thou doth protest too much :P Thanks for the compliments though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:49:17 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:34 am »

Well I didn't mean taller in general, I meant taller in relation to the walls. In most images of Castlevania, the main keep itself is usually twice the size of the walls and then just kinda stacks up from there.

But yeah, it's your project, so I'll just sit in the corner and shut up

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:30:04 am »

It's probably the lack of environmental detail. Sketchup can fake a lot of stuff, like night time and shadows, fog, all that stuff. So once all the visuals are on, and there are so more shots at scale, I think you'll be convinced.

I mean, I think this pic shows well enough how tiny a person is, and how much the main keep rears up over everything else. Plus, I've yet to put the Master Tower in there.

I looked at a fair number of game covers and what not before I started, and yes, those make the castle look very narrow, and spiny. I tried to do something a little more realistic. Castlevania is and was a platformer, a thing that doesn't translate all that well to table top RPGing. So I've been designing it more to be walked, and that's resulted in some tamer looking constructions than the whack-a-doo spires that look like they're made out of smoke.

And like I said, detail work. Those cylindrical, squat towers will look more interesting once I do some more stuff too them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:51:12 pm by nenjin »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:13:44 am »

Loving the project so far, posting to follow.

btw, if you dont have a rendering package and wish for a more realistic renders, i can help out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:17:31 am »

It's beyond my needs atm. Pitch away though, I always like knowing about possibilities.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:44:11 am »

Needs Dracula's crazy tower and bridge!   :)

Looks great though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:33 pm »

Working on it right naow!

Taken almost 45 mins to get it half roughed out. Gotta get it in juuuussttt the right place. Hope you guys will like it.

And in case anyone wondered, yes, I'm listening to the entire wealth of Castlevania music, non-stop, while I work.

If anyone wants to help out, trawl the Google Sketchup Model Library for stuff for me to use. Cool looking statues, railings, furniture, lights, trees, ANYTHING. I know where to look, I'm just so busy trying to get the stuff laid out, I've got no time to look. I already found at least one neato looking angel statue.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:10:43 pm by nenjin »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »

I wanna play!

Looks awesome.  Posting to follow.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 03:30:18 pm »

Well, it's not quite a tower, but I took some artistic liberties. I'll add more detail later (breaking the stair, windows, railings, yadda yadda.)

I've always thought "Man, the masons Dracula hired to make that tower must have been fucking pissed." Trying to get my own tower built up that high on the map, with zero reference points, was a total pain in the ass too. I sympathize with them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the Dungeons and Colosseum.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:41:45 pm »

Nice!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »

Just to show how potent Google Sketchup can make all this.....here's the entire map in transparency.

Spoiler: It's full of...stars! (click to show/hide)

There's no reason I couldn't do the entire interior in the same map once I'm finished with the outside. The only reason I'm still thinking on a second map is so the map and my computer don't explode.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:46:24 pm »

This is...there are no words. I'm calling IN right now.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:10:44 pm »

So, a little break from the tedium of doing the hedge maze. (Which, based on my last experience, was brutal to finish.)

A game for something like this basically needs a full-time GM. The number of players in any round would have to be very small. Parties are problematic because of the speed of turns and getting input. So I think single players, like 4 a round, take on the Castle. Whether or not they interact with each other in anyway, I dunno.

I'm thinking a handful of classes, and stats modeling on Castlevania. It'd probably be easier to do a roll-less system.

People shouldn't get overly excited about the game part yet, though. So. Much. Work. To. Do. And I want it to be pretty, so, more time still.

Anyone that gets inspired and wants to do the thinking for me, go ahead and start. :P I'm so tuned into designing atm, it's hard to pull my brain out of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5