Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Something-Vania! (An experiment in mapping and insanity)  (Read 12920 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Something-Vania! (An experiment in mapping and insanity)
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2011, 09:23:04 am »

Have you ever heard of Blender? It is a powerful freeware modeling program. I understand that you will not likely want to switch tools after having come so far, but I thought you might want to know about it anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2011, 09:37:31 am »

Ooohh it's Python scriptable....

Tempting, but no. Even designed well, a project this size would like either crush a game engine (tried something about 1/2 the complexity and size of this in UE 2.5 and it was rocky), or fall apart due to my lack of technical skills. As awesome as this might be pulled into a game engine, I know when I'm already flying too close to the sun as it is.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2011, 02:21:18 am »

Don't mind the missing lines, I'm fooling with ways to produce better screen shots. Unfortunately all that grass adds up to a bunch of black at a distance.

I'm going to slow down on updates for the time being. This has been a pretty epic finishing sprint and most of the big details are done now. So I'm going to stock pile some details before I show more off. I have a fairly large backlog of "yeah I'll finish that bit up later" piling up, in my rush to rough things out and have something to show. The real tedium begins now. >.>
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:44:46 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:40 am »

Holy carp, Nenjin! This is amazing. Next comes the boring part - figuring out how to restrict players to certain areas until they get the neccesary ability. Then again, in a 3D Castlevania game this may not be so tough.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2011, 11:26:35 am »

Well since you broached the subject....

I've been thinking a lot about that as I work. So far I'm just designing with a rough idea of how I want people to progress. Once I get to the interior, I will have to go through and methodically figure out how that's going to work.

But this is what I know. I want to keep people's options fairly simple, and close to the spirit of Castlevania. I.e., walls stop you, you don't go free scaling terrain or barriers on a whim. Many doors will be locked with super special keys, ect....

Were I to run this in D&D, I'd allow for far more flexibility. But being that I want to run this as a forum game, the format needs to be relatively simple. I want to allow people to do stuff like climbing and make some more free form choices....but with some blanket restrictions. Like 10 feet is too high for anyone to scale. Doors locked with special keys can't be smashed or picked open. Even though there will be hundreds of windows, there will be no smashing through them so you can just take a short cut.

For anything that even remotely resembles platforming, it's going to be abstracted and the areas are going to be designed especially for it. There will be no things like grappling hooks or bat form to go flying around as you please. That would totally break what I'm trying to accomplish, and it pretty much flies in the face of the spirit of Castlevania to begin with.

Depending on how Round 1 of this insanity shakes out, I may revise my rules. But I'm going to start out being fairly restrictive, and any circumvention of the terrain (jumping, climbing walls, ect....) will come down to dice rolls on whether you succeed or fail, and failure will likely be fatal. So on the one hand, I don't want people trying to climb short barrier walls. But on the other, I want to leave the possibility for that in certain places, balanced by the risk that you're going to die trying it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:31:59 am by nenjin »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2011, 12:07:57 pm »

Ahh, fair enough Nenjin. IIRC in Symphony of the Night and some of the newer games, the Castle connected up fairly logically - but with things like barriers only openable from one direction, or areas only small creatures (that you'd have to transform into) could access, or areas that simply required flight / very high jump. I wonder where you'll take us first!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2011, 02:23:37 pm »

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/import-google-sketchup-kmz-models.php

The above tutorial shows you how to import from Sketchup to Blender.  You may find it useful when it comes to rendering the final design.

Either way, you've got some pretty impressive work here.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]