Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't butcher corpse of a titan?(Resolved!)  (Read 5179 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't butcher corpse of a titan?(Resolved!)
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:02:26 pm »

I can't get my dwarves to butcher the freshly killed cardinal.

Edit: Changed subject completely, there was no responses, and the previous topic got resolved, so I didn't feel like taking up too much space =d
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:21:50 pm by Angel-of-Dusk »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Can't butcher corpse of a titan?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »

What was the titan made out of?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:53:13 pm »

I'm having the issue in 0.31.19 that any creature not killed through hunting or by selecting to slaughter said animal is unbutcherable. Here's the bug report I filed on the issue so you can see if this is what you're experiencing:

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4063

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:56:15 pm »

Are your dwarfs allowed to gather outside refuse?
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »

Both. I started with my dump inside, but the inability to move the corpses to butcher and such resulted in horrible miasma. Now my dump is outside, but the same issue happens. I unforbid the corpse, dwarves run to it, pick it up, drop it, and run away because it's become forbidden again.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:06:32 pm »

What kind of animal are you trying to butcher?

Very small animals (rabbits, cavies, ducks, buzzards, and guineafowl) are almost always too small to yield any meat, bone, or fat when butchered.  As a result your butcher will refuse to even try to butcher them.  This can also happen with young or unusually small members of other species.

You also do not want to dump the corpses.  You want a refuse pile that accepts corpses near your butcher's shop.  Dumping the corpse will result in it becoming forbidden.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:29:07 pm »

Bingo at Sphalerite. That fixed it. I had it set to dump corpses for some reason.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 05:01:54 pm »

How do I check what the titan was made of? Im running .18, Im sorry, I should of mentioned that. Gather refuse from outside is set to on. The titan corpse is still fresh,  I haven't unpaused it sense I started this thread (And had to leave the computer) until just now, for a few seconds, to test the refuse from outside being the problem, which it isn't.

Any other suggestions? I really wana butcher this thing, it weighs alot!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 05:13:14 pm »

Make sure you have a stockpile that accepts corpses, and that you have refuse gathering from outside turned on, and that you have corpses to be gathered, no dumped.  You can also scum-save if you're worried about losing the corpse.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:15:12 pm »

Make sure you have a stockpile that accepts corpses, and that you have refuse gathering from outside turned on, and that you have corpses to be gathered, no dumped.  You can also scum-save if you're worried about losing the corpse.

Have done everything besides scum save. Will not work, my butchers will not butcher its corpse. Are some titan corpses unbutcherable?

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:18:54 pm »

Have done everything besides scum save. Will not work, my butchers will not butcher its corpse. Are some titan corpses unbutcherable?

I wasn't able to butcher mine too but mine was made of water, so...
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 05:20:02 pm »

How do I tell what its made of?

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 05:26:10 pm »

How do I tell what its made of?

Hm, select it from the Units menu (u) and view description (v).
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:51 pm »

"a gigantic eyeless cardinal. It has two large mandibles and it moves deliberately. Beware its deadly spittle!"
nothing of a material out of the ordinary; this compounds the confusion as to why I can't butcher it. at least, it doesn't mention any materials.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 05:43:26 pm »

That should be butcherable.  Will your dwarves move it to a refuse pile, or do they refuse to touch it at all?
Pages: [1] 2