Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d elf siege  (Read 2019 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
40d elf siege
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:40:38 am »

I'm still on 40d while waiting to upgrade to a new computer and letting the bugs get shaken out, but looking forward to DF 2010.

Anyway, I just had my first elf siege. This fort has been going a long time and I thought the elves were at peace with us. Sure, their representative kept getting blown off every time he requested we limit the cutting to 100 trees a year, but heck, I thought if you kept saying no they wouldn't siege, only if you broke an agreement. Now maybe they're angry the dwarfs did some clear-cutting near the edge of the map and haven't gotten around to picking up the wood, but still, that shouldn't bother them, right? As far as I know the dwarves did nothing (special) to piss the elves off.

After a long winter and some goblin ambushes, spring finally rolled around, with no sign of the irksome diplomat or the traders--who have ocasionally brought me such useful things as animals, from which I now have a crapload of tame black bears. I figured this meant goblins had waylaid them and I could expect a siege any time. Eventually, as Granite rolled into Slate, an ambush finally showed up--of elves.

They happened to run right smack dab into the Slippery Whips, a squad of mostly legendary hammerdwarves, macedwarves, and swordsdwarves. Without any archers they were pretty easy pickings even though there had to be about 20 of them, and their leader was mounted on a horse. What was odd though was that some of them started charging over the bridge, which has a line of cage traps at the end nearest them. About half the dwarf squad was on the bridge at the time and slaughtered the invaders, but it's rather disconcerting that the elves strolled right over the cage traps without a problem--the wiki makes no mention of this (for elves). The battle was short and bloody, and ended with the Whips' vanguard pursuing a fleeing elf to the very edge of the map where they managed to eviscerate him at the last moment. One elf survived, because he was the only one who sprang a cage trap. I figure three or four made it onto the bridge, one of them being the rider.

In pointless, gratuitous retaliation, I have designated some areas inside my main defense walls for more tree-felling.

So, my first questions center around this siege: Is it normal for sieging elves (in 40d) to avoid traps? Can I expect more than the one large cluster of attackers? And how the heck did I anger them?

Beyond that though, I want to know what to do with my captive. It's awfully tempting to throw him in my arena and see if my captive goblins and turncoat dwarves will kill him before the bears do (if the bears will even attack him), but for the first elf who dared assault my dwarves and live this just isn't fitting. The dwarfy thing to do would be to stick him in some kind of enclosure where he could see trees being cut down or carpentry in action, but I'm not sure this is even possible without scaring civilians and I don't know if it would even do any good. What's a properly dwarfy way to deal with this elf? (And no, I don't have magma.)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: 40d elf siege
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:53:01 am »

You could leave him in the cage and build it somewhere where trees are felled. He won't scare anyone from his cage.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:23:16 am »

Atom smash his cage.  Let him see the beauty and horror of utter oblivion.  :D

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:29:08 am »

You could leave him in the cage and build it somewhere where trees are felled. He won't scare anyone from his cage.

But will he even be aware of the outside world from there? I thought creatures in cages were more or less in stasis except for aging.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 02:33:41 am »

So, my first questions center around this siege: Is it normal for sieging elves (in 40d) to avoid traps? Can I expect more than the one large cluster of attackers? And how the heck did I anger them?

Besieging civs avoid traps that their diplomats have seen.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:50:49 am »

Besieging civs avoid traps that their diplomats have seen.

Well crap, that means I have to build new traps around the ones I already have. I have a lot of map entrances guarded by traps and I think their diplomat has seen the north and south ones for sure; this was the east entrance. Someone should really note on the wiki that this is the case, because the entry on traps doesn't mention trap knowledge as far as I can see, and for sieges only humans are mentioned to have this ability.

At least the south gate has gone through some rebuilding and might have new traps in it; I've been steadily replacing rock-fall traps with single-whip traps and using it to flay any goblins who try to get through. But Im not positive any of them are truly new since his last visit, so it looks like I'll have to improvise some new defenses for next spring.

Does this one raiding party sound appropriate for a first-year elf siege or should I be concerned there may be others on the map? I've had dwarves out at the west end (traps are much sparser there) a lot and they haven't run into any trouble; though also I'm not sure elves have been there. But I'm positive they've been to the north and my defenses there aren't so great; that's just a stopgap to buy civilians time to get inside before invaders get close enough for my military to take out.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:05:18 am »

The only proper punishment for a tree-hugger is apprenticeship in the smithy.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.