Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Newish player finds less is more...  (Read 12795 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Newish player finds less is more...
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »

@ Girlinhat: All you need to harvest goblinite (in .19) is (clay or stone) and (wood and/or gravity). I think that even if the clay bug is fixed, you can still kill an ambush (if you know they are there) with one 10 length bridge over a long drop linked to a lever (3 stones + bridge materials). Or just three weapon traps with spiked wooden balls, though that is less fun.

About less being more in a different way, what do you guys find to be the best number of weapons per trap? I find that one copper serrated disk works much better then five+ because 5 disks gets two or so enemies then jams, while a one disk trap can strike for three red body parts on different enemies again and again and again.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 07:22:15 pm »

EveryZig, flying enemies are ignorable, if you have put a roof on everything and have mechanisms for drawbridges, links, and levers. Otherwise, you'll have to go with covered fortress and hatches on Z+1 level inside your covered fortress and a ramp leading up to the hatch. Since hatches aren't breakable from below, you just retreat into your covered fortress, lock the hatches, and wait it out.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:33 pm »

It's really a pain, though, to build roofs over all of your above-ground stuff and make it airtight. Though that might have been partly because the last time I did that I made my no-digging fortress entirely from glass (this was before flying sieges).

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 06:25:27 am »

Metal weapons to get Goblinite? For shame. Such is why Arnok gave us mighty wooden Crossbows.

And if you have wood and water, you can make a pump to build a moat out of wooden blocks.

Minimum mining build: One Anvil, one stone, one ore.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

Air moats are better than water moats. They cannot be crossed by anything but fliers.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 05:28:20 pm »

Lava moats are fun to dump things into though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 09:07:13 pm »

I find double moating to be the best of both worlds. Use either a channel with water, and then a wall, or a two Z-level wall, with only the lower one with water in it.

Of course, using a single moat is for sissy elf types.

Real dwarves use three moats. A dual stack air moat, a deep well moat, and a magma moat. The order is of course up to the dwarf in question, but that's a minor thing.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 10:36:30 pm »

I find double moating to be the best of both worlds. Use either a channel with water, and then a wall, or a two Z-level wall, with only the lower one with water in it.

Of course, using a single moat is for sissy elf types.

Real dwarves use three moats. A dual stack air moat, a deep well moat, and a magma moat. The order is of course up to the dwarf in question, but that's a minor thing.
And if you close the drawbridge, there is a chance that the enemy's in it will burn into magma, drown or break a few bones on the rock?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 11:55:16 pm »

A true dwarf doesn't use a moat for defence , they just like being surrounded by magma
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 12:42:18 am »

I've successfully defended a fort in a terrifying biome with barely any military. Lack of metals made me get creative with my first drowning trap and spike-lined pit traps. I've even set up cave-in traps for FB's. Make you moat be wherever the goblins are.  :P
Memento Mori

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 01:46:59 am »

Yeah but it's just not dwarven to use wood for anything, beds should be carvable out of bone :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 04:10:26 am »

Yeah but it's just not dwarven to use wood for anything, beds should be carvable out of bone :(

It IS dwarfen if they're made of cavern wood, like Tower Caps or Nether Cap (those ones being my favourites, because they're coooool  8) )
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:00 am »

I'm fond of Blood Thorn and Goblin-Cap myself, mostly for the red, but Tunnel Tuber can be fun for the drug-trip color scheme.  In fact, just throw all the shroom-trees up and build walls and beds and furniture from them.  Your dwarves are already eating and drinking raw mushroom, it's not like they'll notice.

Also, *facepalm* at the "cool" comment.

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 12:01:36 pm »

I always dig down, down to the third cavern level at embark, just for shroom-trees.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]