Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Base delay factor?  (Read 2304 times)

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Base delay factor?
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:49:01 pm »

Hello everyone.

In previous versions of DF, I seem to recall seeing arrows zip across the screen, thrown objects fly when you toss them, and severed limbs actually fly off in red arcs. Now, everything is instantaneous, with absolutely no time between the shot and the object landing.

This is not only aesthetically displeasing, but brings to mind a danger of being sniped by arrows with no idea where they are coming from, since we no longer see it fly by.

Is this a permanent change, an fps difference on my new computer, or something else? Is there a way to change this back? In other roguelikes this is called the 'base delay factor', which slows down the game slightly to allow you to 'observe' ranged attacks and AoE's properly.

If someone would kindly help me out here, I would be much appreciative.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Base delay factor?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:50:38 pm »

My first guess is just that your FPS is faster now, if you're on a new computer. Turn on the FPS display in your init file and see what it is. You could always turn the FPS cap down, if you want.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:04:37 am »

The default is 100 which in realtime is your dwarfs running around like the flash. Capping FPS at 30 should allow you to see arrows/limbs fly around like you want.

Edit: To clarify, think of FPS as Feet Per Second. Or Feet-Moved Per Second. A healthy unencumbered dwarf will move a square every 10 FPS, so if your FPS is 30 dwarfs may very well move 3 squares before you see them move (unless you're paying real close attention). The option below it, I think it's GPS, is the actual graphical frames. Try lowering the FPS first, but if the game is too slow for your taste raising that will also show the arrows. One way or another.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:14:38 am by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:47:32 am »

It doesn't seem to work. No matter what numbers I use, it's still instantaneous. Even at 1 FPS, the thrown/shot/severed objects instantly appear where they land.

:/

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:15:52 am »

Just for the record, are we talking about fortress mode, adventure mode, or both?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 01:48:32 am »

I could see this being a problem if DF was a hack 'n' slash game. I suppose there's a good amount of hacking and slashing, but you know what I mean. When Urist McStubby has a grey left hand and arm and his severed limb is lying on the ground a few dozen squares away, it's not very hard to put -1 and 1 together...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:52:47 am »

I could see this being a problem if DF was a hack 'n' slash game. I suppose there's a good amount of hacking and slashing, but you know what I mean. When Urist McStubby has a grey left hand and arm and his severed limb is lying on the ground a few dozen squares away, it's not very hard to put -1 and 1 together...

This is not only aesthetically displeasing, but brings to mind a danger of being sniped by arrows with no idea where they are coming from, since we no longer see it fly by.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:57:58 am »

I'm on 31.18, running at 100 FPS, and I still see arrows being launched and severed limbs flying...

Standard defaults all around, except I tend to use Mayday's graphic set.

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:25:11 am »

I mostly play adventure mode, I haven't tested this in fortress mode yet.

I don't use tilesets, I vastly prefer ascii.

I've set the fps to 1, nothing. I've set the GFps to 1, nothing. All it does is make the game painfully slow, but all thrown/shot/severed objects teleport to the place they land instantaneously.

Setting the GFps higher doesn't do anything either. I'm not sure what needs to be done. I just want to actually see the flight path of arrows, thrown objects, and severed limbs. I fondly recall lopping something's leg off and seeing the little 'z' fly across the screen with a trail of red behind it. I want that back.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58:23 am »

I've set the GFps to 1, nothing.

This, if anything, would make it worse, since you're making the game wait longer before updating the graphics.

Setting the GFps higher doesn't do anything either. I'm not sure what needs to be done. I just want to actually see the flight path of arrows, thrown objects, and severed limbs. I fondly recall lopping something's leg off and seeing the little 'z' fly across the screen with a trail of red behind it. I want that back.

I could swear this sort of thing still happened, though. Hrm. I just checked in arena mode, and it is happening there.

Try going into arena mode, and spawning some no-skill naked dwarves on one side and some high-skilled ettins with two-handed swords or great axes on the other side. Do this with FPS_CAP set to 20 or something, so you can easily see parts get severed. If you notice any of them moving through the air, then the problem is probably that some Adventure Mode code has been changed in a way that's, in this case, unfortunate.

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 12:47:44 pm »

It doesn't seem to show in the arena either, whether I'm just watching or I assume control.

Limbs just appear on the ground, and spend no amount of time in the air.

-EDIT-

When not assuming control, fired objects such as bows and crossbows seem to be fine, and in fact animate slower due to the fps being 20 and the gfps at 100. Limbs, however, do not seem affected and still teleport to their landing position.

It seems it's just an adventurer mode thing. Getting to see projectiles has been taken away. :/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:54:46 pm by KarolineDianne »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »

Maybe it's an issue with different print modes? I'm running a clean, new installation here, with no options changed.

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 01:04:38 pm »

hmmm, playing fortress mode on .18 with mayday graphics i loved and frequently watched goblin and wolf part fly off in an arc leaving a bloody path behind them. i don't know if .19 with ironhelm (mayday hasn't updated yet) will be very different but i know i have seen arrows and limbs alike fly across the screen square-by-square.
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 01:13:06 pm »

I'm using .18 at the moment with no graphics packs.

Arrows and bolts seem to work fine in fortress mode and the arena, unless you assume control. Something about adventure mode is preventing things from bring flung across the screen square-by-square.

This doesn't make any sense. How is it that I am using the same version as you, but it's not working the same way? Even completely fresh and unmodded, I get no projectile 'animation' in adventure mode, and even in fortress mode limbs don't fling properly.

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 10:45:21 pm »

well i hate adventure mode so i actually don't play it. i have no idea how things fling in that end of the game and as for fortress mode... i have had limbs fling half a screen in a single frame. mostly because i think it was just moving that fast.
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?