Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: More Embark Dwarves v2: 0.31.21 compatible  (Read 19545 times)

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
More Embark Dwarves v2: 0.31.21 compatible
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:09:58 pm »

Title says it all. Pick between 14, 28, 56, 112, or 224 dwarves. Only compatible with 0.31.21 http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3637

To set your own number of dwarves:
  • Download Hexedit
  • Use Hexedit to open your Dwarf Fortress executable
  • Click Find and select the hex radio button(Make sure to select hex before pasting or you will just have to paste again)
  • Paste 24 14 07 00 00 00 eb 08 into the search box and click Ok
  • Click Find again and repeat the search(Because the result we are looking for is the second one)
  • Change the 07 to the number of dwarves you want(Don't forget to convert your desired number into hex format a.k.a. 14 = 0E)
  • Click File -> Save As and save it in your Dwarf Fortress folder with your desired file name

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Embark Dwarves v1: 0.31.19 compatible
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:23:18 pm »

Ah! Thanks for this.
I really did not care for those large .exe downloads. And I plan on skipping .19 entirely, anyway.

These instructions are all I need as I already have Hex Workshop and I know how to use it. ;)
That, and I may want a number of dwarves other than 7, 14, 28, 56 ... etc.

PS: I managed to compress one Dwarf Fortress.exe down to 2.19 MB by using 7-Zip. Now that's compression!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:26:31 pm by Thundercraft »

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:27:21 pm »

Yeah, jocan2003 should get credit for the instructions, but his comment was buried in lengthy thread.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:03:46 am »

I am adding this to the list. Just so you know. =)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: More Embark Dwarves v2: 0.31.21 compatible
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:27:17 am »

Updated for 0.31.21, enjoy!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »

Change the 07 to the number of dwarves you want(Don't forget to convert your desired number into hex format a.k.a. 14 = 0E)

I don't understand. How I do?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »

The 07 in the string of numbers that you search for stands for the number of dwarves you get when you embark. This number is in hex format, so you have to translate a regular number like 255 to ff. Google for decimal to hex conversion for more info.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:04 pm »

I just have one thing to say on your download there, Brandstone.

224 dwarves on embark? Was that really necessary? My dwarven CIVS don't have 224 dwarves, generally!
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:54 pm »

I just have one thing to say on your download there, Brandstone.

224 dwarves on embark? Was that really necessary? My dwarven CIVS don't have 224 dwarves, generally!

I have my population capped at 100, so I doubt I'll be using that setting. 14 dwarves is almost too many. Maybe you could add support for an 8 Dwarf embark?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:08 pm »

Change the 07 to the number of dwarves you want(Don't forget to convert your desired number into hex format a.k.a. 14 = 0E)

I don't understand. How I do?

I assume that Hexedit has a hex calculator/converter (like Hex Workshop) that can automatically convert your desired number of dwarves from decimal (numbers we humans are familiar with) to hex format. I also assume Hexedit has a help file or some sort of documentation.

But if it is just too complicated or tedious, at least Brandstone offers a package already hacked to adjust the starting dwarves (14, 28, 56, 112, or 224) for version 0.31.21. The hex edit method is only needed if you either want a number of dwarves other than 14, 28, 56, 112, or 224... or if you want to use this on a version of DF other than 0.31.21.

I'm assuming that, somewhere out there, is a player that wants to start a massive Megaproject in all haste... But, yes, I also thought 224 dwarves for embark is more than a bit excessive. I mean, just configuring their skills on the embark screen would be a tedious ordeal. And, yes, I would agree that a setting of 8 or 9 dwarves would be much more useful than 224.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 12:22:22 am »

I wouldn't knock out 28 or 56, it can pretty nice to have a sizable work force to start with. Speaking of mega projects, I embarked with the max of 255, raised the pop cap to 1000, and I'm going for broke to see how many dwarves I can get. Setting up the embark skills was a pain, but a little copy pasta on the embark profiles text file helped.
 I just packaged with those numbers as a baseline, and I'll keep the instructions up to date if you want something specific.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:31 pm »

Has anyone done this with the Linux version?
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 01:07:11 pm »

Has anyone done this with the Linux version?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59928.0
This is the thread I used for information gathering, but I didn't see anything for linux. Maybe try some searching around or a separate post to try finding more info.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 01:29:54 pm »

Neat!  I can now finally do the hermit challenge without feeling guilty about killing off the other six members of the expedition!
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 01:43:13 pm »

Neat!  I can now finally do the hermit challenge without feeling guilty about killing off the other six members of the expedition!
Sorry, last I checked embarking with fewer than 7 causes the game to crash. Haven't tried with the new version, but I doubt that it has changed.
Pages: [1] 2 3