Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53084 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »

Quick question: Is the creator still working on this?

Awesome game, been playing it on-and-off for months, have incredible difficulty staying afloat money-wise though, whenever I lose a mecha I usually can't afford a new one. I mostly have to rely on SF:0 combat to make money if that happens.

The randomly-generated storylines are awesome, the only problem I have is that it is rare for me to have a single Big Bad last for the entire story. They usually die by the third or fourth episode and get replaced by the next one.
Yes, he is, but he's been doing a major rewrite to put in lua code, which allows for easier content programming and modability.
I believe he's nearly done, but it could be a while. He's had to redo all the mech statistics etc. in their new lua format.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2011, 01:59:01 pm »

Oh man, Gearhead...

This is up there as one my my all time favourite roguelike's.
I've been playing it since it was in the 0.3x (I think) releases, had a randomly generated overworld map (...I think) and was still hosted on Geocities.

It deserves more attention than it gets, especially given how its been actively maintained and expanded on all this time.

Anyway more on topic (even if late), the exploit with MA that Il noted, works I believe, because exp gains are calculated off your PV, that's worked out from factors such as your body score (or was it HP now?), gear worn and carried, etc. The higher your PV, the higher the DC of your weapon, the less exp you gain per kill.
Encounters scale off PV + Reknown I believe, so, if you want tougher earlier encounters, store a number of high value items in your mecha.
I don't think it affects direct XP gains from using a skill however, that you can check with @ or ~ or something, so you don't waste exp raising a skill that's at 1370 / 1400 to a free gain. Direct gains I believe, are somewhat more linear, but, don't hold me to any of the above being accurate, as it's all from memory.

I should pick it up again and see what state my badass preacher's in.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2011, 02:45:19 pm »

Haha, oh wow. I just got given a custom "Great Dragon" Ramuh with not one, but two HYPER nuclear weapons on it (one of them's ARMORPIERCING ACC+2 SPD:3 as well), and a DC18 ARMORPIERCING EXTEND melee weapon. I can't use any of them on my main mech due to the weight (two extra tons ends up penalising MV at this point), but it'll be great for a lancemate after some tweaking.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2011, 05:17:28 am »

I got a 'core story error' after finishing episode 9, so now I can't progress the main story.

Sucks, but now I've made a new file.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2011, 10:03:11 am »

The randomly-generated storylines are awesome, the only problem I have is that it is rare for me to have a single Big Bad last for the entire story. They usually die by the third or fourth episode and get replaced by the next one.

My nemesis survived from episode 2 to the final chapter... she's the boss in my final battle. So it's possible... just keep playing! :)

And not making called-shot on her cockpit helped, I think.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2011, 10:08:20 am »

I think dodge rolls are what determines successful ejection or not, so if your enemy starts with no dodge, they might not be able to safely eject.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:01 pm »

According to the wiki, alot of mechs are technically in the game, but I've never seen them, not once. Maybe I haven't gotten enough Renown for them to start appearing? I've seen Dragon Savin's, but I've never once seen a Zerosaiko. I saw an Argos all of once. Never seen a Luna II or an Ovaknight either. Same with the Tauner, both Hoverfighters other than the Skull, and the Fenris (I know GH2 isn't finished but...one Zoanoid?)

Just alot of Buru Buru's. So...many...Buru Burus...

Unrelated note, I can't seem to find any quests that let me have more than the starting 1 Lancemate slot. It would be nice to have more than one ally. I've even done the 'I ought to recruit a new Lancemate' option in the main story, but that doesn't give me a new slot, just gives me a free guy to recruit.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:20:45 pm by Krath »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2011, 09:40:52 pm »

I get tons of Lunas. What you during missions or not depends on who you're fighting, which often depends on which story the game gave you (my current game is fighting Aegis, so naturally I get tons of Lunas and Chameleons). There are less Burus now, but I'm still fighting loads of Daums at ~80 reknown.

I got an extra two lancemate slots via a quest series from the Cavalier VIP room.

Regarding Zoanoids, there are some mechs that can transform from one mode to another - ones I know are the Largo, which can flip between Battroid and Zoanoid, and another (I think it's the Cogan), which I think can switch between Battroid, Zoanoid, and Gerwalker (but I haven't piloted one so I don't know).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:21:01 am by 3 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2011, 01:30:35 am »

You can only recieve the quests to add lancemates at certain renown levels.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2011, 05:12:58 am »

That must have been the problem then, I'm not fighting the right factions to see the mechs  :-\

I did get a Star Chameleon as a quest reward though. It's dodgy and fast as heck, probably at least as much as a Vadel. I stuck a high-end computer and some additional weapons on it, and it just tears everything apart.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2011, 08:30:01 pm »

Am I blind or something? I don't see the Mecha Repair skill as an option in the character creation process.  Or is it Mecha Engineering?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »

Repair covers both personal scale and mecha scale repairs now. If you take it, never ever ever buy repairs at a store, repair every mech you loot at drive to full with parts you purchase. It might be a touch more expensive, but it earns you a ton of free xp.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2011, 08:51:46 pm »

Alright thanks, I was getting repair up to get the tech vulture talent.  All the guides on the wiki seem to be geared towards GH1, so I'm a bit lost now.  From reading the thread, its suggested to get some personal scale equipment and grind at a dungeon over at the mines.  What would you guys suggest I buy? I started off at the Galconde city that is a tech haven or w/e.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2011, 08:56:21 pm »

Grinding at personal scale isn't too required any more. If your going to, I recommend an auto or combat shotgun loaded with slugs, carry some incendiary around too for line shots. A basic sealed suit and a lancemate are the other two things I'd bring.

Skip Tech Vulture. You will be TRIPPING over full mechs after about the third chapter, and tech vulture is very rarely triggered anyway, even with good repair and knowledge.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2011, 09:03:50 pm »

So I can just skip all the personal combat skills altogether? Like ranged combat and such? Can I start making money and stuff right away by doing stuff in my mech?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31