Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53076 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 11:12:18 pm »

Whats everyone's preference on starting mecha? I find myself favoring the heavyfoot Buru Buru for its heavy gauss rifle. One shot a wraith with it and have loved it ever since.

I love the Heavyfoot.  I also like the Wraith (can't touch this).  At least two faction-dependent mecha satisfy my somewhat irrational love of the PAR-2 Particle Cannon, which are pretty sweet if you go the Sniper route (great range, low energy cost, no ammo, lightweight).

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 11:17:06 pm »

If you really want sniping fun, loot yourself another heavy gauss rifle from another heavyfoot. Things are nasty when you can rapid fire them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 11:43:34 pm »

If you really want sniping fun, loot yourself another heavy gauss rifle from another heavyfoot. Things are nasty when you can rapid fire them.

The weight and ammo restriction (unless you like fidgeting with extra magazines, but that still adds weight) are prohibitive if you do that.  On the plus side, the damage is high enough you don't need Sniper.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 12:41:51 am »

Heavyfoot fan here.
Haiho is a lot of fun too.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 12:46:19 am »

I just looted a haiho. Its lack of head for sensors seems to be a big flaw.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 12:49:56 am »

It's for melee.
It doesn't need a head.
And if you want one, just put one on from a Mebsy or Buru Buru, or other common mech.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 12:56:48 am »

Alright, a question for those of you who have gotten farther.

While killing rats in the Dark Hovel, I found myself a golden crown. +1 charm, class 2 head armor, appraised value is 130k to sell, and 1.3m normal cost. Clearly this is a good item, but should I sell it, store it on my vault mech, or put it on my Mighty Soldier Mebsy?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 01:50:37 am »

If charm is your dump stat, then don't bother keeping it. Also, it's only barely useful, if you really need that extra reaction from npcs for whatever reason. Armour class 2 is rather low, and it's not sealed, meaning no using it in space.
Still, I tend to store all such cool-sounding items in my house, for sentimental purposes.

I just looted a haiho. Its lack of head for sensors seems to be a big flaw.
From the derelict spaceship? Then it's got that cool claymore weapon. I love me chopping stuff up with it's highlandery awesomeness.

2.  Last I knew, XP-related stat boosts were restricted to 10.  Your initial stats plus 10 additional points (1 for every 5000 total XP you gain) are all you get, barring cybernetics.  IIRC every 4th point of Ego allows one cyber mod without penalties.  Any more than that and you'll forever be fighting health problems.
I'm pretty sure that the experience cap for the purposes of calculating available stat upgrades is 100k, so it gives max 20 points.

In other news, I've found this exploit:

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 01:57:33 am »

No. I got the Haiho from a pilot who ejected. Got myself the Mighty Soldier Mebsy from the first warship I looted. Rearmed it with a pair of Heavy Gauss I picked up, tears everything to shreds.

As for charm, its not a dump stat, but I have no charm based skills. I was more curious about the cash value, since I recall that in GH1 high value on your mech made you fight better opponents.

Edit: Just made a throwaway character using Il's exploit. Yeah. I've made 800k and gotten about 40k xp so far. Its a tad broken.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:55:31 am by beorn080 »

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 07:09:24 am »

I just downloaded this, as it seemed fun, but the controls and what I actually have to do is turning my brain to mush.
If someone could point me to a guide or something, that'd be cool :D
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 07:48:31 am »

I just downloaded this, as it seemed fun, but the controls and what I actually have to do is turning my brain to mush.
If someone could point me to a guide or something, that'd be cool :D

Press "h" for help, there's a Game Keys section inside.

These are the ones I use most often...
Keypad - Movement. 5 is wait.
H - Bring up mecha screen. Lancemate (i.e. party member) is also managed through this screen.
i - Personal Inventory
X - Save game. The game auto-saves by default, like right after your mecha exploded and your left eye was blinded. Unless you turn if off in the INI file of course.
Q - Quit game.
, - Pickup item.
. - Change weapon or change mecha movement type
+ - Go full speed
s - Use skill
u - Use scenery (e.g. use a computer console)
m - Bring up personal computer screen. Available functions depend on what items you have.
T - Call people with phone.
C - Bring up character screen.
Z - Rest for a while.

On the other hand, I am having trouble loading more than two or three weapons in my mechas (currently two Vadels and one Phoenix). In longer fights, for example those to capture a vessel, I may end up having to fire an overloaded laser weapon. The spaceflight jets, overchargers and heavy actuators I can salvage or buy just cost too many slots.

I updated my save here:
http://www.box.net/shared/2fb4uhmrrf

Edit: I just captured a Harkney! This gunship looks like fun. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:04:10 am by kcwong »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 04:45:53 pm »

Have you considered carrying extra clips instead of mounting a second weapon?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »

Called shots and intimidation. Use your best weapon and do head and leg shots. Also, take the clips out of every weapon you find and store them. Take an early captured mecha for that purpose and use it as a part, weapon, and ammo dump. You won't get much cash for it anyway.

Also, do that early warship/mine run as early as you can. Seems it always spawns a custom mech. Has the potential to be quite nice.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 12:44:37 am »

Have you considered carrying extra clips instead of mounting a second weapon?

::facepalm::

Do lancemates know how to use spare clips? Because for personal combat I gave them poison antidotes and quick fix pills, but they don't seem to know how to use them.

How much does a weapon's base stat (Pe/Re/Bo) matter? Back in GH1 they use different skills; now both use Mecha Gunnery. My character has 9 Gunnery, 16 Re and 10 Pe, and I miss very frequently with a heavy gauss rifle. I end up dumping it for other reflex-based weapons.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 12:52:39 am »

How is your mech's TR stat? That's a direct penalty to you mecha gunnery skill. Minimize your weight on the mech to increase it. Transfer any mech parts you loot from battle to your storage mecha you leave in the spinner.

You can use the field HQ in personal combat to manipulate your allies inventories and have them use the items, or activate party mode which is REALLY slow but lets you directly control your allies.

Edit: If your exploring a mine or ship or other personal dungeon, and suspect a hidden door, attack the square with an arm or leg. Even with no skill, if there is a door, you'll do at worst zero damage to it, while there is no message about damage on walls.

Edit2: A question for everyone. If I dump knowledge and skip mecha engineering, can I use a party member to do the engineering, or is it a personal only skill?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:34:37 am by beorn080 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31