Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53037 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2011, 11:18:05 am »

The Haiho isn't very fast, no, but NPC mechs move at full speed a lot. If you didn't know already, note that you can throw the rocket hammer and it'll return to you.

Regarding the missing guy, you just need to mope around for a while in the area you last found him and he'll show up eventually. And I do mean "eventually". I've been flying in circles for twenty minutes in the past (it's not usually anywhere near that bad).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:12 pm »

Started a new game, and in the first place dungeony I looked in I found a Chameleon. It's not spaceworthy, and doesn't seem to be well-equipped(not really sure, though).

Also, I can't seem to find the mission target I was given...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »

Should I upgrade my Haiho or should I wait until I find a nice mech before I work on it? Rocket hammer, light rockets, and mining lasers are doing the trick so far but I'm not really feeling it. I did hit a couple milestones in which I raided my first merchant ship, getting 20K per pirate kill due to this guy giving me the assignment, and right now, trying to figure out where raiders are coming from.

EDIT: Is there a way to save reliably so I don't have to be forced to load at my last, randomized autosave that puts me in the beginning of battle or some such? Or do I have to bite the bullet on that one?

Edit Edit: Is there a way to buy ammunition for my weapon aside from heading to the store where I bought it, selecting another of the same gun, and then pick the buy spare clips option?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:02:10 pm by Blackray Jack »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »

Whenever I find myself using a Haiho I always try to get it a head - sensors get a significant bonus when mounted in a head, and that helps with all sorts of things, not least missile accuracy. I'd also rip out the rockets/laser and get something better instead - a laser cannon or railgun is ideal, if you can find one, or nothing at all if you're aiming for close-combat.

The hammer'll be able to do a lot of damage for a fair while (providing you can hit with it). Personally I tend to save up until I'm either feeling seriously challenged or something catches my eye. My ideal mech in the early game would probably be a Chameleon; they're manuverable enough to benefit from stripping.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2011, 01:32:47 pm »

The hammer'll be able to do a lot of damage for a fair while

By fair while you mean the whole game, right?  Melee attacks start getting multiple hits as your skill improves.  Melee becomes far more powerful than ranged combat.  The drawback is limited range, but that's less of a problem with the Haiho's rocket hammer, especially after you install better heavy actuators (IIRC they improve throwing range, but only to some upper limit).

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »

The damage output drops off massively when you start fighting heavily-armoured mechs. Obviously to deal with that you'd want a BRUTAL or ARMORPIERCING weapon, but the hammer's neither of those.

Edit: To clarify what I mean by "drops off massively", even with a mecha claymore + heavy actuators (now DC21 and armorpiercing) the armour of that Savin or whatever I'm fighting has a decent chance of completely absorbing one attack, and a better chance of lowering the damage to non-critical levels. This means I either have to slow down and try to hit the thing again, or carry on, turn round, and make another pass (and yeah, I apply roughly the same tactics on the ground as in space). Neither option is desirable, especially when I'm fighting something with Mjolnir Missiles (which every third custom seems to have) or equivalent, as they can feasibly oneshot me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:15:58 pm by 3 »

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2011, 02:38:18 pm »

This game can be ludicrous at times; right now I'm on episode two and I was told to start my search at a particular building, after talking with everyone they don't offer any insight nor did they help me. Now they'll either never talk to me outright or act very rude toward me. Have I screwed myself over completely?

Edit: Actually after the initial talk with some of them, I asked one if they saw anyone suspicious and the politely told me to piss off; after which they no longer want to talk to me.

Edit Edit: After some time they decide to come down from their high pedestals to talk to the lowly duelist association pilot; but aside from the rare chance of asking for rumors, they don't even bother with me assuming they even decide to talk to me at all. I think this mission is botched before it even began.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:07:24 pm by Blackray Jack »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »

Trying to set up a community repository of design files.
Anybody mind testing to see if they can upload stuff?

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2011, 03:09:54 pm »

words

If you speak to someone too often in a short amount of time they begin disliking you for being an annoying butthead.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2011, 04:00:16 pm »

words

If you speak to someone too often in a short amount of time they begin disliking you for being an annoying butthead.

How much time should I let pass before trying again, and even if I do get to talk to him again isn't the option closed out to me forever since I failed it? The save system is pretty wacky, only allowing you to save and quit or allow you to load at the beginning of a battle if you died. Or at the hospital if you lived. Is there a way to work around this?

I'm still having trouble with arms and ammo; once I buy a gun I only have one chance to buy necessary clips and then I never get a chance to buy more spare clips for that gun again. How can I change or work around this?

I found a pretty highly skilled pilot charging me 30K to join me. All his mecha stats are in 6s and he has pretty high toughness and what have you, no stat under 4. He's flying a wraith. Close Combat, Dodge, and Toughness, and Ranged Combat at 6. Mecha fighting, piloting, and combat at 6, and gunnery at 7. Can I safely assume that this man is a badass?

I know the railgun is badass, but on my first mission against this enemy BuruBuru I found a HEAVY railgun, and everything seemed to scream improvement so I bought it, I have yet to test it however. Is it possible to repair salvaged guns and etc or is it already at full power once salvaged?

Thanks for putting up with my newness to the game; or newdity as it were, heh.

Edit Edit: Ok how does mecha customizing work? Each time I try to take off the head of the mecha salvaged at the mine outside Galconde, I keep ripping it's head off and destroying it. Some pointers would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:45:44 pm by Blackray Jack »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2011, 04:16:39 pm »

If I'm remembering correctly, the way spare clips work is that once you've bought one, it'll get reloaded with your gun when you pay someone to reload you. It's basically a permanent backup clip, and as such you shouldn't need more than one or possibly two.

I've never bothered hiring a merc. From my experience, lancemates in general have higher skills than the PC does (my current lancemate has +10/+11 in all of her skills while I only have +9/+10 at best), so I don't think he's exceptional. Wraiths can be quite cool to have around early on due to those heavy rockets.

The heavy railgun weighs 10 tons. That's about the only disadvantage to it. I think a mech loses 1 point of MV/TR per 7 tons of load over the basic loadout, so you'll be getting slightly higher penalties (but you're probably removing something else in the process). Salvage can and will get repaired just like anything else.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2011, 05:18:13 pm »

Found the mission target, a shifty guy in the back of a mall. Bullied him into ratting out his employers(intimidation is cool, but pressing an autopistol to his face probably helps :P), a pair of raiders waiting out in space. After a fight in which one guy ejected leaving a barely damaged Haiho(lancemate killed the other guy, and I salvaged a heavy gauss from the wreck), I hear the name of who might be my story's big bad.

By the way, if I sell a mech with equipement on it, do I get the value of the equipment? Then again, I should probably strip it and juggle some equipment to turn that Chameleon I found into a killer.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2011, 06:37:52 pm »

I found a pretty highly skilled pilot charging me 30K to join me. All his mecha stats are in 6s and he has pretty high toughness and what have you, no stat under 4. He's flying a wraith. Close Combat, Dodge, and Toughness, and Ranged Combat at 6. Mecha fighting, piloting, and combat at 6, and gunnery at 7. Can I safely assume that this man is a badass?

Those are good scores for the beginning.  By the final battle you should expect to fight enemies with IIRC skills up to 12-14.  However, everyone in your lance (except you, of course) randomly gains skills when you complete a mission (complete as in get the XP reward).  They gain IIRC +1 to a random skill (maybe just a random primary combat skill?) up to a maximum determined by your reputation.  So don't bother spending their XP on anything but their base stats unless you really need it, because their skills should improve over time (primarily due to the rep/quest thing, but they can improve through use just as yours do).

I think a mech loses 1 point of MV/TR per 7 tons of load over the basic loadout, so you'll be getting slightly higher penalties (but you're probably removing something else in the process).

I'm pretty sure it's every 7 tons, but that's only for installed components.  Mounted/held components have a different increment;  something like every 7 + (0.5 x Size Class), where Size Class depends on the base chassis.  IIRC a BuruBuru is 5 or 6, Savins are 7, and Ovaknights are 8.  The only size 10 was the Monstrous in GearHead 1.  Compare the DP of various mecha torsos to get a sense of size, as heads and other limb sizes vary but the torso size always matches the chassis (as you might expect).  Check the forums or source code if you want to double check the formula, but I should be in the ballpark.

FYI mounted/held components include anything on a mounting point (aka hard-point, weapon mount, or whatever), held by a hand, or in the mecha's inventory (if you're carrying it but it isn't equipped, it's in the general inventory).  Equippable armor is also considered held, not installed.  These can be freely equipped or removed without a Mecha Engineering roll.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2011, 07:37:38 pm »

If I'm remembering correctly, the way spare clips work is that once you've bought one, it'll get reloaded with your gun when you pay someone to reload you. It's basically a permanent backup clip, and as such you shouldn't need more than one or possibly two.
For 99% of mecha weapons, you probably don't need to carry an extra clip. Even if your in a REALLY long battle, you might need a spare clip, but otherwise, nah. Missiles are a good candidate to carry spares, and most missiles fit in all launchers. Fire full bursts of swarm/20's, fly past, swap out the clips, fly through and swarm em again.

If you NEED extra ammo, you have to take it from the same sort of weapon.

Oh, and for personal scale weapons, you can buy extra clips of a variety of sorts from the stores you buy the weapon from. Quite useful for many weapons.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »

I put my Singer with a Savin (tm) playthrough on hold to mix it up with a melee-oriented character with a Haiho.

I tried to put an Eyre head on it but apparently it wasn't compatible. I also went exploring in some mines and found a Rusty Striker Haiho that I now use.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31