Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 52687 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 06:55:36 am »

How much does a weapon's base stat (Pe/Re/Bo) matter? Back in GH1 they use different skills; now both use Mecha Gunnery. My character has 9 Gunnery, 16 Re and 10 Pe, and I miss very frequently with a heavy gauss rifle. I end up dumping it for other reflex-based weapons.
You can view all rolls and modifiers by pressing {r}, or maybe it was {alt+r} (or maybe something else? - check the keybindings to find out).
There's still the problem of figuring out what do those numbers atually mean, but it's a step forward, I suppose.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 07:15:45 am »

Back in GH1 all DC10 and under mech weapons used one skill + re stat, while all DC10+ weapons used a different skill + pe. Now, all mecha combat with ranged weapons is covered by Mecha Gunnery, with the base stat being based off of whatever stat the weapon claims. Assuming the rolling system is the same in GH2 as it is in GH1, this table and page tells you a lot.

http://gearheadrpg.com/wiki/index.php?title=Guides:Skill_Rolls

For mecha combat, it looks like your rolling against the opponents Mecha Pilot + MV rating + Reflex bonus + ECM for certain attacks.

To work it out, you get a flat skill bonus of whatever the + is, so +5-6 if you max it out initially. Lets assume 5 for now for ease. Then you get your stat modifier, which is (stat + 2) / 3. Thus, even at 1 in a stat, you get a +1 to you skill, and at 21, you get +7, with +8 if you can get another point in that stat. Assuming +5 in the skill, you get between a 6 to a 13 initially. You then look it up on that table, and roll the requisite number of dice, virtually at least. In this case, assuming 13 total, you roll a d8, a d10, and a d12.

As for how much it matters? 21 vs 1, its more then doubling your score, and effectively making your attacks twice as effective. With your 16 re and 10 pe, you get +6 to gunnery with a re weapon, and +4 with a pe weapon. Not too significant, but I seem to see more +acc on ref weapons then pe weapons, which is also a factor.

Edit: Never take a Dora to an asteroid spinner. I miss that mech.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:14:40 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 11:15:09 am »

How much does a weapon's base stat (Pe/Re/Bo) matter?

Every 3rd stat point or so grants a +1 skill bonus.  There may be an offset (i.e. that first +1 may require a stat of 1 or 4).

If I dump knowledge and skip mecha engineering, can I use a party member to do the engineering, or is it a personal only skill?

IIRC non-combat skills are party-wide, though there may be an exception or two.  The highest value in the party is used.

Assuming the rolling system is the same in GH2 as it is in GH1, this table and page tells you a lot.

The roller in GH2 no longer uses dice.  It gives IIRC a Pascal distribution with your skill value (incl stat, condition, and other mods) as the mean.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 04:17:57 am »

Alright. I just had a really crazy battle. Basically I found a patrol, jumped it as I do, and got a message where a guy wasn't gonna stick around. At first, it was just a buruburu, so I proceed to start to tear it up with a recently modified wraith that swapped out the heavy gauss for a pair of laser rifles, when another mech shows up. No biggie, my lancemate and I tear them up, but the mechs don't stop coming. I must have shot down 10 mechs before a wraith got a lucky shot in. Should I have just ran?

Edit: Just had a delightful find on making a new character. A Strike Fighter Chameleon, +0 MV, -1 TR, +2 SE, Grenade launcher and a light machine gun backed up with 2 small lasers. The ONLY issue is that it only has wheels. Once I loot me some Buru Buru and get their gear, I can trick it out.

Edit2: I've taken that lovely strike fighter chameleon, picked up a pair of lancemates, and accumulated a million bucks, on the 6th episode, and currently have about 50 assorted mecha I've looted from everyone I run past. HOW do you get people into tougher mecha. I'm getting 100k a mission, but they just keep throwing more Bura Bura at me. Its up to like 6-7 bura's plus a couple of aerospace fighters every mission, with the occasional daum or mebsy. Where are the high end mecha?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:05:17 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 12:38:54 am »

High-enders are all in the shops.
It's a conspiracy: nobody actually buys them except the protagonist; the pirates are working with all the corporations; Aegis is actually a front for the Russian Mafia.

Also, what's your fame?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 01:02:01 am »

I have no idea. I just completed the quest for the third lancemate slot and am averaging about 70k a mecha mission now.

Just picked up innovation, not sure if it would help or not since MV and TR penalties are feel much steeper then in GH1. Though jamming class 10 thrusters into legs would be nice. Hmm.

Edit: A VERY interesting discovery. Tech vulture is now a Craft + Knowledge roll, not a Craft roll like it was in GH1. So that would explain why tech vulture seems to be crappy if you have lowish knowledge.

Edit: A secondary discovery made while stripping mechs and piling their parts onto my vault mech. TR is very oddly calculated, since a stripped Revenge Buru Buru has -1 MV -5 TR, while a standard one has -4 Mv -4 TR, so its clearly no longer a straight mass calculation.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:03:43 am by beorn080 »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:38 am »

A secondary discovery made while stripping mechs and piling their parts onto my vault mech. TR is very oddly calculated, since a stripped Revenge Buru Buru has -1 MV -5 TR, while a standard one has -4 Mv -4 TR, so its clearly no longer a straight mass calculation.

Could the -1 TR come from not having a head?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 05:20:06 am »

It could be, but even still, with a full standard loadout it still had -4-4, so it should have improved somewhat, unless there is a ceiling on some designs, which would make sense. Lets see, my part dump is 1570 tons, with an MV of -154 and a TR of -158. Has a head with cockpit in the head, a Gorilla from the Crinha raiders specifically, and its a battroid with a class 1 gyro and class 5 engine. That means for that mech, its 10% of loose tonnage, with a +3 mod to MV and a -1 mod to TR.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 08:42:09 am »

I finally get to make a robot...

Made using 4 Data Bracelets, 5 Power Armbands and 1 Riot Shield. It is not sentient, but it will be a great body guard and mule.

Robotics is too difficult to get to now... 10 ranks in Science and a Talent slot. Which makes Science a hobby skill - you slowly get to it after you've already maxed the survival skills (mecha piloting, gunnery, etc.). Back in GH1 you can start a themed character surviving and growing using just robotics in personal scale.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:44:14 am by kcwong »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:39 am »

Innovation isn't that much better. 10 mecha engineering, and there are still a ton of hard wired limits, such as Crinha Skulls not being able to mount most equipment and needing it installed, plus you don't get THAT much more room, at most one item exceeding the slot limit. I understand they wanted to cut some skills and such back, but I think they went too far with some.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 12:37:35 am »

Is there anywhere I can find better SF1 weapons and armors?

My character and my two lancemates are using Saga Powered Armor and dual laser rifles (DC15 with Ultra100 cell), while my robot above is using two mono swords with inferno tokens.

In a mine (looking for a hidden laboratory with alien tech) I found a robot guard (forgot its name) with some very tough armor and 63 HP... most hits we landed deal little to no damage. I tried a DC7 armor piercing laser pistol, but even that dealt no damage. I've attacked and retreated four times and that robot is still going strong, often dealing head injury to me soon after I went down the stairs.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 02:22:49 am »

I didn't realize GH2 had SF1 stuff. Unless your talking personal scale gear. If so, I recommend the rocket rifle with one person using acid clips to make it rust, another using frag clips to shred the armor, and you using standard for armorpiercing and smoke for retreat.

Try Hovel Manor on Theles spinner. At the top is a black market that tends to have good shops. Otherwise look around for pirate attacks and see if that spinner has a black market by asking about rumors.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 03:15:42 am »

I made my way to that black market before... it didn't have anything interesting back then. I also got a black market on Athena, but nothing exciting there too.

I'm now fighting fungus everywhere, trying to get more XP for 11 Science and for my robot body guard, which has close combat skill. I'll check the black markets again later.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 03:24:41 am »

Well, your doing far better then me. I'm stuck at a story option where I have to raid a lab on clund rock, having started with no personal scale self defense skills. Fortunately, those rocket rifles are the perfect fix for that. +4 acc, 5 speed, and 5 delightfully varied ammo choices make it good for running or fighting. This attempt should work.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 04:17:37 am »

Actually I am stuck on multiple quests...

- I found a Henchman's diary, but it seems I need Investigation skill to go further. I tried talking to people but none could help me further this quest.
- Retrieve a data slab from a secret lab in a mine. I found an alien device one stairs up at got 75xp from it, but the mean robot blocks me from exploring further.
- Cavalier's Club in Athena was taken over... there's a mad man with lots of tough looking critters around him, and there's no way I can defeat him now. This quest is in fact the reason I started training up my personal combat skills...

I went back to Hovel Manor... however this time the spinner is having a plague. The only merchant in the market is kinda sick and I chose the option to send him home. I hope I can find out what's wrong before I ran out of antibiotics...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31