Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 52982 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #420 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:35 am »

Hmm must have been within the last week or so, I know I checked in there pretty recently and there was still activity although not a ton of actual progress to any new release or anything - istr that the author had a time-consuming new job or something.  Alas I don't have any of the mods, what was there for GH2?  I don't remember any that caught my attention, although if they were graphic things I wouldn't have been interested 'cause I love the ascii display (I can fit HUGE maps on a 80x120 console window ftw).  Maybe the japanese site has copies - look for the link on the archive.org copy of the wiki maybe?

Bummer, I wish it'd get back in gear, it's one of my favorite RL's...

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:09 am »

oh god the site is down panic.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 18, 2012, 11:14:55 am »

Google cache for gearheadrpg.com shows a post by J. Hewitt dated 6 Dec.2012. With an appropriate embedded youtube "video".

As for the wiki - it is not that easy to disappear from the internet without traces - http://web.archive.org/web/20110705102526/http://gearheadrpg.com/wiki/index.php?title=GearHead

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 18, 2012, 11:18:52 am »

This is very, very unfortunate. This - or rather, the original GearHead was one of the Roguelikes I actually enjoyed, besides DF and maybe Crawl Stone Soup.

At least the Roguebasin pages are still there, and someone might be able to upload a mirror somewhere.

And if necessery, I just found my copy of GearHead 1.100 along with its image pack, both(ASCII and SDL) versions of GearHead 2 0.628, and SDL version of GH2 0.530 and 0.430 in their original archive. But sadly, no source code was found.
Completely unnecessery as the Sourceforge repositories are still there.

Triple ninja'd. Was about to suggest Internet archive too.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:21:48 am by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 18, 2012, 05:49:39 pm »

That really sucks, gearhead is awesome.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 18, 2012, 08:05:07 pm »

Turned out I've still got Mr. Hewitt's email address (or at least an old one) laying around my old messages. Fired off a short query as to if everything's alright... maybe I'll get a response. Fellow's comic site wuzzit seems to be up and was updated fairly recently (about two weeks ago), so maybe it's just some kind of website hiccup rather than Joeseph running into major problems or somethin'.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:12:24 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 18, 2012, 08:57:19 pm »

And here I was hoping that the revival of this topic was due to a new version being released.  Major bummer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 18, 2012, 09:13:18 pm »

Fairly quick followup! Looks safe enough to just pass verbatum, so here you folks go:
No big problems- ChaosForge has SQL issues, so Kornel is moving everything to a new server. In the meantime, all the game files are still available on SourceForge.

Peridot, myself, and a few others are currently working on a new version of GearHead written in Python. The homebrew scripting language used in previous versions really prevented other people from contributing. So there's a lot going on behind the scenes, even though there hasn't been a public release in a while.

Thanks for the concern.

- JH.

P.S. In other GH news, early next year should see the release of the first few issues of GearHead Comics as free ebooks.
Ask not!
Ask!

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 18, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »

Python?! Hooray! :)

False alarm, after all. And now we know at least the GH community is still somewhat alive here.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 19, 2012, 03:20:32 am »

Thank God this project is still alive!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 19, 2012, 08:06:30 am »

Thank God this project is still alive!
Your sarcasm is not appreciated- this was a good game.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 19, 2012, 09:26:21 am »

...? I see no Sarcasm Font. Sounds like sincerity to me -- given how long it's been since an official update, someone not popping by the forums every once it a while could easily assume GH was just dead. Which it's not, just kinda' in Incursion mode.

And GH 1&2 is a good game, brudda' ;D
Ask not!
Ask!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 19, 2012, 09:35:37 am »

Heh, no sarcasm intended. I did enjoy GH1 and was sad to see the development sort of faded away. I pretty much gave up on it til I read Hewitt's reply to Frumple.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 19, 2012, 10:07:42 am »

Gearhead 2 is the only space mecha battler I've ever enjoyed. It's just so great. Glad it's not dead and we may see a new release eventually.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2012, 12:42:36 am »

Glad to hear this isn't dead.  Sounds like things will be interesting once the Python conversion completes.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31