Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53087 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2011, 04:24:32 am »

I think the plague is a chance to train up first aid. It will go away after a while. You can also get healed up at a doctor and it cures you of illness.

As for the other three, try to find a forensic investigator, haven't had that quest yet, and the mad man is very cowardly and easy to intimidate, assuming you've been working on it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2011, 05:23:35 am »

I see... I have none of those skills, and I'm already at 14/14 skills learned. The henchman diary is the one holding me in chapter 5. Perhaps I should choose Jack of All Trades as my next Talent...

Edit: I finally found a forensic investigator. He's inside a hospital!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:36:43 am by kcwong »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 05:49:58 am »

Well, the diary you CAN find me an NPC to do it, as for the other two, yeah. I'm at max skills myself, and while I could learn ranged combat and grind it up, I have 1 body and can't survive at all, plus the last time I died my right hand got crippled. Looks like its time to start again. However, with the new knowledge I can go much farther. Some things I've learned.

Tech vulture is nigh worthless. Whereas it was fairly rare to get whole mecha in GH1 and tech vulture was a great way to get parts and weapons, in GH2, you'll have a veritible cornucopia of looted mechs. Repair is good for xp, but you just need 1 rank to be able to fix things out of combat.

Innovation is similarly less then useful. It does let you shove more parts on a mecha, but not to the same degree. It is useful for shoving an extra computer or sensor suite in, but that's about it. There are still some severe limitations on parts you can mount or install. As part of the tech vulture problem, adding limbs to most mecha seriously damages their TR and MV.

Jack of all trades actually seems REALLY useful. You get xp for doing a lot of things, and with it you can do basically anything. Several keys are to never repair your mecha at a store, always use the repair skill.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 06:47:56 am »

The concept sounds nice but... man the graphics are intimidating. Its navigation is hard too. I mean, I'd rather have ASCII art than this blur tileset...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 06:57:44 am »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gearhead2/files/gearhead2/0.628/

You want the ascii-win.zip variant most likely.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 07:56:35 am »

Could someone give me a list of tasks to do or something?
Or some kind of guide?

It's really confusing just trying to work out what to do :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 08:01:28 am »

Could someone give me a list of tasks to do or something?
Or some kind of guide?

It's really confusing just trying to work out what to do :P

Talk to people... depending on your character and the NPC, they may be willing to give you tasks to do. Matching personality (press @) helps; so is high Charm and Conversation skill. If you belong to a faction, they will most of the time have something for you to do.

Check the news too; when a town has troubles there will be more jobs to be done.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2011, 08:14:52 am »

Head to the Cavalier's Club, it will be a C on the spinner map, and do the mission from your friend/leader guy. You can use m to bring up your phone menu, which provides email, memo, and rumor functions. Memo is your current missions while rumors are leads you've gotten from people with ask about rumors. Email lets some people send you missions. Shift + T lets you call anyone, and you can call people from any of the phone menus as well.

Once you've finished, or during it, there should be a mission from someone else in the club to recover an item he lost from a thief. If you have decent charm and conversation, you can bluff em, otherwise wait to do it since he's a VERY tough fight. There may be other options for it, but I'm not sure what they require.

Finally, there will be a derelict spacecraft or abandoned mine nearby in the exterior map. You'll need a spacesuit of some sort and a weapon, but you can get a nice mecha out of it. Or a crappy one, but it will ALWAYS be a custom variant.

After those doing all that, you can wander your current spinner, asking for rumors and doing missions, or head to another spinner. If you wish to advance the plot, you got to the one recommended by your first contact, otherwise check the news, either with a better phone or at a video terminal. Fungal infections = personal scale missions, while most other things are mecha combat. There are a few unique things among the spinners, Theles has some fun personal scale activities while a few other spinners have some mecha arenas.

For creation, put a few points into charm. Even 2-3 points will make a significant difference in the amount of rumors and missions you get.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, 08:27:45 am »

Or, you know, invest in Ego and Intimidation instead. At least it's useful outside of getting rumours.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 09:11:23 am »

Thanks guys, got a bit of it sorted out, went to hunt down a guy who stole someone elses data thingo, got attacked and killed his guard mecha, then attacked him after he wouldn't hand it over, but he killed me in one shot :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:07 am »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gearhead2/files/gearhead2/0.628/

You want the ascii-win.zip variant most likely.
Right thanks I might use it later, though I'm somewhat getting used to this tileset, the 2d one I mean.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:30:32 am by justinlee999 »

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2011, 10:30:15 am »

Man I'm confused, I get lots of missions, but no idea how to do them.

Raid enemies? Investigate disturbances? WHAT? Any help?

Also how do I quit the game, properly?

Ah, ignore my comments, found out the controls mahself.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:49:27 am by justinlee999 »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2011, 10:49:41 am »

Most missions you get from people require you to leave the populated part of the spinner via the spaceport. Look for a ! inside the building to get out, then look around for a red *. Thats the target of most raid missions.

Shift+q

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2011, 10:52:30 am »

Most missions you get from people require you to leave the populated part of the spinner via the spaceport. Look for a ! inside the building to get out, then look around for a red *. Thats the target of most raid missions.

Shift+q
Thank ye matey

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2011, 11:13:58 am »

One last piece of advice, don't pick a buru buru to start. They're reasonably solid mechs, but are inherently worse then equivalent mechs. A Puma or a Shard are good picks.

Edit: I think I may try my hand at mecha design. If there is interest, I'll post what I come up with.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:36:22 pm by beorn080 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31