Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 52672 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2011, 01:11:14 am »

I finally made it to the lab in the old Cayley mines... that "Watcher" robot guarding the place is SUPER tough! I used up 40 anti-armor grenades to strip its armor so the party can finally kill it. All the while being shot at by a bunch of poison/blind/disease-causing fungus.

But the items I found are well worth it... great loot in there. :D

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2011, 08:26:59 am »

So, I'm fighting this new buruburu as part of a story mission, and it has a gun that does crazy things, like one round exploding rounds, next round a massive smoke bomb. Turns out its an experimental weapon. Looks fun to play with.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2011, 09:03:00 am »

is it possible to loot dead enemies?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:12 am »

Yes. Walk over their corpse, and either press , if your using rogue like mecha combat, or if its menu, go to options, get item.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2011, 09:14:36 am »

Yes. Walk over their corpse, and either press , if your using rogue like mecha combat, or if its menu, go to options, get item.
Ah yes thank you, figured it out later, but its helpful anyway :P.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:30:24 am by justinlee999 »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2011, 09:34:18 am »

So, I'm fighting this new buruburu as part of a story mission, and it has a gun that does crazy things, like one round exploding rounds, next round a massive smoke bomb. Turns out its an experimental weapon. Looks fun to play with.
Ah, that's probably a modified L-Cannon.
The gun itself isn't that special, it just comes with a special ammo cartridge.  Technically, you could do the same with any weapon if you could find the cartridges.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:14 am »

Yeah, I wish spare mecha weapon clips were sold the same way they sell spare personal weapon clips.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2011, 03:07:32 pm »

Pretty sure it'd be possible to mod that into the sales list.
I've done it before with custom items, I'm sure weapon clips can be done the same way.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »

How do I know how much ammo my weapons have?
When I choose to attack, they just show the stats, not the munitions.

Also, I'm using a HeavyFoot Buru Buru
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2011, 07:42:54 pm »

How do I know how much ammo my weapons have?
When I choose to attack, they just show the stats, not the munitions.

Also, I'm using a HeavyFoot Buru Buru
That's odd, it should be listed amongst your weapon stats on the top-left corner of the screen.
Other than that, you can manually check it through your inventory or field HQ menus.

Pretty sure it'd be possible to mod that into the sales list.
I've done it before with custom items, I'm sure weapon clips can be done the same way.
It's not difficult; the problem lies in that weapons have dozens of different bullet types so it's time-consuming to make a cartidge for each one. Adding something like the following to your PC_MECHA EQUIPMENT.txt file should work.
Code: [Select]
Ammo 12
Magazine 20
caliber <130mm self-propelled>
Name <L-Cannon Clip (EMP)>
Category <MEXTRA MEK_WEP>
factions <GENERAL>
Type <HAYWIRE>

Ammo determines the damage of the bullet deals.
Magazine determines the maximum size of the clip.
Caliber determines what guns can use it, examples include 45mm/70mm caseless, 30mm/120mm ferrous, Construction Bolts, 30cm explosive canister, 500mm ferrous ball, and so on. You'll need to check the weapon itself to see what caliber it uses.
Name is exactly what it says on the tin.
Category determines what type of shop the item can appear in. For mecha weapon cartridges you'd be fine with MEXTRA and MEK_WEP.
Faction determines which faction stores sell them. You'll probably be fine with GENERAL.
Type determines the bullet's special effect; a few examples are HAYWIRE, BURN, BLAST (#), BLAST (#) SMOKE, SCATTER, BRUTAL, HYPER, LINE, and OVERLOAD.
You can also edit things like Mass, Acc, and Range, possibly even things like speed and BV.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:48:37 pm by Blaze »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2011, 10:18:17 pm »

Do you have any tips about using those gunships? I have salvaged a few custom Corriahs (sp?), but at best I can only make them -6MV -2TR -1SE, max speed about 340. I assigned one to a newer lancemate, who started with 7 in all skills. When my renown was about 60, he did okay. But now I have near 80 renown, he gets destroyed in all bigger battles.

I'm about to finish my first game... a team of 4 plus a robot pet, with so many salvaged mechas I don't know what to do about them. I have 4 Zero Savins... firing 4 Breaker Cannons are expensive (reward can cover it), but they often deliver one-hit kills.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2011, 11:27:09 pm »

How do you restock ammunition?
I just finished the first mission, and I'm running kinda low :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:50 pm »

Do you have any tips about using those gunships? I have salvaged a few custom Corriahs (sp?), but at best I can only make them -6MV -2TR -1SE, max speed about 340. I assigned one to a newer lancemate, who started with 7 in all skills. When my renown was about 60, he did okay. But now I have near 80 renown, he gets destroyed in all bigger battles.

I'm about to finish my first game... a team of 4 plus a robot pet, with so many salvaged mechas I don't know what to do about them. I have 4 Zero Savins... firing 4 Breaker Cannons are expensive (reward can cover it), but they often deliver one-hit kills.
Well, I haven't a clue how a "Custom" Corraich is kitted; so I'll start with a basic model.

1. The MV and TR is crap, and you're probably not going to be closing in with the thing. So install a few extra computers with Targeting, Maneuver, and TSC programs if you can.

2. You're not going to be able to fit the thing properly without more space, so equip an extra pair of pods. Since you've got so many salvaged mechas you can spare the parts.

3. Drop the bomb launcher and replace it with another long ranged weapon. You're going to need more dakka in general so a few extra breaker cannons would be nice if you could afford it; but if you can't, try a railgun or two. If you want to save some weight, you can use replace a few of them with energy weapons; but keep an eye on the overload level.

4. Replace the Lucky Jacks with Haywire or Scrambler missiles. Lucky Jacks don't really have the ammo for sustained fire. Install some better sensors too.

Optional: Strip the super vulcans and replace them with intercept lasers or lighter intercept weapons to save yourself a bit of weight.

How do you restock ammunition?
I just finished the first mission, and I'm running kinda low :P
Ask a mechanic to restock your mechas, you'll always find one in any spaceport.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:49:04 pm by Blaze »

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011, 01:26:49 am »

Got an Assault Fighter Chameleon after raiding an abandoned ship. Which is better? Puma or Chameleon?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011, 02:38:24 am »

One thing bothers me a lot in GH 1 & 2... the inventory interface.

1. Items do not always stack properly. Some of these are probably due to different HP, ammo count, or customized version. For different HP and ammo count, it's okay that they stack only after repairing/emptying/reloading.

2. The problem is in customized versions; for most parts you don't get any indicators. You will need a normal version next to it and read carefully to notice the difference. This is particularly troublesome for stripped parts; like all those limbs and wings salvaged. You will have heaps of them and no easy way to manage.

3. Sorting. It seems items are sorted in some order, but sorted on what is not always obvious. Ammo will be sandwiched between guns, which makes any bulk unloading to be very messy. Don't even try dropping things from your mecha when cleaning up salvaged mecha. I'd appreciate sorting or filtering that user can control.

4. You have to move everything one by one... which is really, really painful if you have 60 Deluxe rations and 50 Mecha welding kits stored on a mecha and then you want to change to a new one and sell the old.

5. I'd like some kind of bulk actions on a key press... like "unload all ammo from all weapons in this mecha", "remove all armor in this mecha", "move all unequipped items from this mecha to this one". Basically ones that make your life easier after a battle with salvage rights.

6. Lack of page up/down in the menus. Can't always memorize the shortcut key and use it, because the orders will change.

7. "Return to Main" returns you to the top of the list instead of the last position.

Has anyone made any mods for the inventory before?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31