Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 52676 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 06:38:55 am »

I'd say that your problems with inventory, kcwong, would dissapear if you weren't stocking such insane amounts of everything on your mecha. There is no need for that whatsoever. One batch of nutrient pills can last you loooong time, if you care to stop by for a meal at a restaurant every now and then. 3000dp points of mecha welding set is enough to fix quite a few battered machines. I don't think I ever used a spare clip, and I stopped salvaging every limb, weapon and module from defeated mecha, as soon as I realized that I'm never gonna use 99,99% of that crap. The parts are easy enough to come by.

Do you have any tips about using those gunships? I have salvaged a few custom Corriahs (sp?), but at best I can only make them -6MV -2TR -1SE, max speed about 340. I assigned one to a newer lancemate, who started with 7 in all skills. When my renown was about 60, he did okay. But now I have near 80 renown, he gets destroyed in all bigger battles.

I'm about to finish my first game... a team of 4 plus a robot pet, with so many salvaged mechas I don't know what to do about them. I have 4 Zero Savins... firing 4 Breaker Cannons are expensive (reward can cover it), but they often deliver one-hit kills.
Aerofighters are best used by yourself, as they require some extra careful handling.
The key is to fly fast. 300+ speed gives enemies something like -16 to hit modifier, so you need to be going full speed when in range of enemy weapons.(it doesn't affect your targeting that much - maximum modifier for your own speed is -3 ar 'run', regardless of how fast you go) You need to be extra careful when turning, so plan your attack runs in advance.
Corriarh is armour less, which is a big problem. I'm not sure if it'll fit, but you might want to try refitting the comet catcher armour from Harkney, which is also classified as an aerofighter, I think.
Fitting in a better computer is not so easy. You already have a +2, +2(IIRC), and commonly available comps(e.g. from Savins), can only give you +3, +3. You can find a Chimentero, though, if you're lucky. It's got something like a +5 TR comp on board, so it might help a bit more.
Also, a 7th skill level lancemate doing missions at 80 renown? I'm surprised he survived those 60 ren missions at all, and it's probably a testament to how good a machine the Corriarch is.

In my last game, I found a "storm caller" on a custom mecha, a 6x10DC BLAST 3 OVERLOAD SPD:4 25ammo weapon. The DC looks modest, but it always hits, and at 6 initiative+14ish speed, it can fire continously. By the time it's out of ammo, every enemy that's still standing is at -15MV, -15TR, and have most of their armour stripped. You just need to carry a single high damage weapon to finish them off. With -15MV, pretty much everything hits. Life has never been so easy.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 07:49:20 am »

All aerofighters have MASSIVE penalties to their MV and TR. I think its like -7 -3. Sensor isn't too hard, just stock up on class 10 sensors if you see them in a shop. I always buy like 4-5 even early on just so I have them around. As for MV, remember that all weapons get -3 to hit against a flying foe unless they have anti air. I'm not sure how space flight missions are figured, if that counts as flying or not, so be careful there.

The other major thing to remember is that on asteroid and city missions, your lance mate WILL fly out ahead and take on 6-7 mecha by himself while everyone else dodges buildings.

As for neat tricks I've discovered, if you use hover fighters, you can switch between skim and fly to go from zero height to 5 height and back, popping up and down and shooting the enemy mechs from behind cover.

As for KCwong's inventory issues, I second it. If there were hotkeys in the inventory menu for drop, transfer and the like, it wouldn't be too bad, but when you burn through 2-3 mecha welding sets fixing up all salavaged mechs a run, and you suffer stat penalties in your mech for carrying too much, it gets tedious. I do agree that stripping EVERYTHING is nearly worthless, but so are the mechs you salvage. 4k for a buru buru doesnt even cover the missile I fired at it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2011, 10:03:00 am »

Quote from: Il Palazzo
I'd say that your problems with inventory, kcwong, would dissapear if you weren't stocking such insane amounts of everything on your mecha. There is no need for that whatsoever.

I'm a pack-rat... in many RPGs I tend to pick up everything not nailed down and sell them. I even did that in Witcher, until I realized money was no longer a concern after that $5000 piece of leather. :P

Quote from: Il Palazzo
Also, a 7th skill level lancemate doing missions at 80 renown? I'm surprised he survived those 60 ren missions at all, and it's probably a testament to how good a machine the Corriarch is.

My own mecha skills are at 9... the two older lancemates, one of them my mom, are at 10 to 11. So I figured a 7 wasn't too bad. Plus of all the random potential lancemates he has the best stats. Others choices have barely over 10. Plus it seems 7 Dodge is quite enough to jettison him unharmed. :P

I do outfit everyone with overload weapons... but they don't always use them first and I don't have the patience for tactics mode.

The two custom Corraiches I got are...

Ultimate Wyvern Corraich (no items):
-6MV -2TR -1SE
31.5t
Mnt:4 Fly:188 Space:178 Max:411
Two Flaming Doom (DC5x10 Chemical) installed on pods
Class 4 computer full with +2MV +2TR

I don't see anything special about this one... the equipped weapons are the same as a normal Corraich. Maybe its components are lighter.

Empire Drake Corraich (no items):
-7MV -3TR -1SE
38.0t
Mnt:4 Fly:174 Space:165 Max:382
Pretty much identical to Ultimate Wyvern, but this one has an extra Venom Cannon (DC12x10) installed in the body (18/14).

Corraich has a Body instead of a Hull... I can put normal mecha armor on it. I also have a Battle Marine Roc and a Emperor Drake Bargol to play with now.

Edit: I'm now selling the "warehouse" mecha and combining things into the Ultimate Wyvern Corraich. Pods in Corraich are integral; but luckily those in Harkney are not. Added two pods (with flight jets and mounts), took a class 8 armor from a Zero Savin, taking out the body mounts I swapped computer to a class 6. With 1 Breaker cannon in inventory it's now -6MV (seems there's a hardcode penalty, can't make it any better), -1TR -1SE. Can't find space for a better sensor than 6.

Now I'll find some more weapons to add...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:07:03 am by kcwong »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2011, 01:59:23 pm »

You can also rename nearly every bit of inventory in the game, if I recall.  I can't confirm, as I can't get the newest version of this game to work on my PC.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2011, 05:38:19 pm »

There's a bug that allows you to remove the "Salvaged" modifier if you fiddle around with a mecha's parts.

It's pretty much an exploit, but increases the sale price by ~10x.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2011, 04:07:10 am »

Sounds awesome, but when I play I get a little lost...

How do I locate a specific location on the overworld map (after you enter space viva the spaceport?)?

I know this sounds stupid: Does a spacesuite protect you from dieing in air-less areas or do you need airsupply, too?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2011, 04:22:31 am »

Stick with the space trains for getting to other spinners.
If you're in the exterior, there should be a marker, or it's a semi-random occurrence.

All you need is an air-tight seal.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2011, 07:42:57 am »

Alright, got it working and having fun... but please tell me there is another, more easy way to find people then just talking to everyone?

"I have a mission... talk to orex..."
*search planet for 20 minutes*
Orex: (in the last building I check, fuuuuu): Oh Bob has it... his men are on the planet, dunno who it is...

oh boy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:46:34 am by ThtblovesDF »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:13 am »

Shift+t to call specific people, the call option in the various menus under the m command, and asking everyone for rumors. 99% of the time it should all be on the same spinner for normal missions. Even most story missions are on the same spinner.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2011, 08:53:37 am »

The two custom Corraiches I got are...

Ultimate Wyvern Corraich (no items):
-6MV -2TR -1SE
31.5t
Mnt:4 Fly:188 Space:178 Max:411
Two Flaming Doom (DC5x10 Chemical) installed on pods
Class 4 computer full with +2MV +2TR

I don't see anything special about this one... the equipped weapons are the same as a normal Corraich. Maybe its components are lighter.

Empire Drake Corraich (no items):
-7MV -3TR -1SE
38.0t
Mnt:4 Fly:174 Space:165 Max:382
Pretty much identical to Ultimate Wyvern, but this one has an extra Venom Cannon (DC12x10) installed in the body (18/14).

Well there's your problem right there. Installing weapons into parts instead of mounting them reduces MV.

Since weapons usually take more than a single slot, and mounts always cost one slot, you'll free up more space. It's a win-win situation. Rip mounts out of other mechas and install them, then mount the weapons; you'll gain 0.5t weight from the mount but gain +1MV and possibly some TR.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:04:12 am by Blaze »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2011, 09:16:52 am »

Mounted weapons are easier to destroy. I remember reading about the mechanics involved on the wiki, which stated that it's only profitable MV/TR-wise to mount weapons heavier than 7.5 tons.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:36 am »

Yeah I'm in the process of ripping the installed weapons out.

Mounts do get destroyed easier because of the low HP, but IIRC in GH1 they also have lower chance of being hit compared to other parts, and when ammo explode you'd be glad they're on the outside? Do that two facts hold for GH2?

Edit: Removing the installed Flaming Dooms out don't have any effects on MV. It seems you cannot stack MV software as well. After adding back weapons (on 6 mounts) and armor I got -7MV -2TR -1SE 375 max speed. Usable I think, as long as I don't slow down in range of too many foes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:28:06 am by kcwong »

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2011, 06:19:37 am »

Is a puma or a war cry better?

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2011, 06:38:29 am »

Ha wow this game looks good, going to defiantly check this out.

Also posting to watch.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2011, 07:52:47 am »

Id say the puma unless you have a custom warcry. Both are huge steps up from buru buru's though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31