Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starving ghost art?  (Read 1320 times)

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
starving ghost art?
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:41:07 pm »

one of my dwarves made an artifact
one of the images on it:

on the item is an image of dodik stockadeleaf the dwarf in cat bone. dodik stocadeleaf is in the fetal position
the artwork relates to the starvation of the ghostly dwarf dodik stockadeleaf, in fortresscrafts, in the early winter of 502

this fortress got whiped out by a necromancer invasion, in it's first year, the ghost appeared when i reembarked(the site was too ideal to give up)

i was under the impression that ghosts were, uh.. dead..
and that included not needing food or drink...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: starving ghost art?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:44:00 pm »

You seem not to be aware of how retroactive labels work.  The dwarf starved, died, and became a ghost.  In all instances, every piece of art depicts the ghost.  Even art made before death shows the ghost.  This is because the data doesn't contain data itself, but rather pointers that point towards other data.  It reads "Historical figure 1035" and looks it up, finds a ghost, and plugs it into the art description.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:54 pm »

ah, that explain it..
still looks wierd though

and now that i think of it, excactly ONE dwarf died of something other then the necromancer attack..
a moody dwarf that asked for only metal, nothing else, and he was next to a pile of copper bars, with a few silver and a couple of iron..
he never took anything..

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »

Once the mood failed he probably starved to death, though dehydration is usually more common for them. Anyway, metalworking moods sometimes can require a specific metal, the one the moody dwarf likes, and they won't accept any other. That's probably why that particular mood failed.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »

The moment he went crazy was the moment he died. The starvation idea is just to help the kiddies get over the corpse.