Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Machine Gun  (Read 26829 times)

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Machine Gun
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 07:11:02 pm »

Can we use Water -> Ice (caves in) in winter to start the system?

Hmm, this might work better than priming the pump by dropping a chunk of natural stone down the shaft (for the magma gathering device) - more margin for error.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 07:15:02 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're building a volcanic eruption generator in your fortress, have you thought of the doomsday device potential?

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 07:52:26 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're building a volcanic eruption generator in your fortress

Oh, somebody please use that as a signature line.  The sudden nagging suspicion that "Hey, did you just . . . ?" mixed with the terror and horror that is Dwarf Fortress.  Beauty.

--Rexfelum

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 01:57:13 am »

On using this against HFS, you could line the sides of the shaft with 1x1 raised drawbridges made to float by the wall-removal method. This will force them to fly up directly in the path of the block (unless they can destroy drawbridges, use magma-safe materials in case they can be ruined by superheated ones).

I'm pretty sure you can simply line the shaft with constructed or never-mined walls - the obsidian needs to have no supports where it is formed, but once it's falling, it can only be stopped by an obstacle directly underneath it.

Right, but there still might be a risk that blobs of water and magma collide farther down the shaft and jam it, especially when you're trying to stop the flow. Fluids seem to fall at inconsistent speeds, so it may be possible.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 02:08:22 am »

I actually did something like this once.  I designed a fortress that was a prison camp, with a automatic cave-in maker designed to generate dust down through each level.  It was my anti-tantrum spiral riot control system.  I wasn't able to get the whole fortress up and running, as this was before burrows and it was really hard to keep everything separated between the guards and the prisoners.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

The13thClam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 02:44:29 am »

So you haven't found a way to fire your dwarves at the enemy 600 times per minute?

Rather misleading title.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 11:05:24 pm »

*BUMP*

Some people asked me about this when I described the creation.  Thus, I bring attention to it once more, and the very handy set of spoiler-hidden pictures halfway down the first page.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 11:45:36 pm »

I just had some kind of -gasm.  This is...  So amazingly...  yes.

The word you are looking for is dwarfgasm.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 11:46:46 pm »

So you haven't found a way to fire your dwarves at the enemy 600 times per minute?

Rather misleading title.

This.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 02:55:11 am »

Rather misleading title.

I am Heavy Weapons Guy. And this... is my weapon. She weighs 500 Urist and fires custom trained wrestlers at 10,000 dwarves per minute. It costs 400,000 gold coins to fire this weapon... for 12 frames.

Some people think they can outsmart me. Maybe… maybe. I've yet to meet one that can outsmart magma.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 05:51:12 am »

Actually, there's an easier way to shut it off. Install magma-safe flood gates behind the intake of each pump, and when you need it off, close the gates. That shuts it down instantly.

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 06:43:32 am »

could this be used to effectively generate continuous walls of magma/magma mist?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 04:20:51 pm »

What are all these pictures OP? Where are the ASCII characters? I don't know what I'm seeing!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 04:34:26 pm »

What are all these pictures OP? Where are the ASCII characters? I don't know what I'm seeing!

^^.

Your tileset hurts my eyes.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 09:41:20 pm »

Mine to
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 [2] 3