Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Remove clothes from all non-dwarf entities?

Yes
- 21 (36.2%)
No
- 37 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.4]  (Read 48024 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.4]
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:15 am »

Dwarf Fortress Advanced
    Runes + metal = rune metal!

Attention!!!!!

Since the release of Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 this mod has become unsupported! The new supported version of this mod has a new name and can be found here

0.5.4 ASCII (Windows/Mac/Linux)
    Development version with necessary mod files only!

Attention! As DFFD seems to be down now and then you can get the latest version here! This link is only for those cases when DFFD doesn't work, please use the Depot as primary source.

Looking for graphics!
    As my skills with graphical side are way bellow average I'm currently looking for graphics for all the creatures either missing one or with bad ones. If you know some or are talented in making one then please send me a note!

Screenshot of the day!
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarf Fortress Advanced is my own attempt to enhance the vanilla game as much as possible. The mod is still in making, so any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

The mod contains features both made by others as well as made by me. All the features I have borrowed from other mods are given credit, but if you notice that I missed someone or want that I remove something you have originally made, then give me a note about that. I'm not claiming anything done by others to be mine, so if I miss somebody in credits then it's either pure accident or that I have thought out the same feature without knowing that somebody else had already made it.

At least during the early stages of this mod I'm posting updates quite often, at times even once or twice per day, depending on how much new features and fixes I have been able to complete.

I have made a blog covering this mod. While you can post comments there I hope that all the discussions are still done in this thread, so that anyone not following the blog can take part on them.

Version differences:
    The mod contains three different versions; Pre-installed, Lite and ASCII.

Pre-installed and Lite versions are labeled with version numbers 0.x.0 and have graphics. Lite version requires vanilla DF to be installed as it contains only the raws and modified files. Both of these version have the same content and should be considered as "stable" versions.

ASCII version also requires the vanilla DF to be downloaded. The difference between ASCII and other versions is that ASCII is basically the development version of the mod without graphics. This means that it may, if the version number is higher, contain features and changes not present in graphical versions. So if you use ASCII version please note that there may be problems and bugs as I'm updating this version more often.

Currently DFA supports DF version 0.31.25 ONLY! You can try to use it in older/newer version (after Toady releases new version and before I manage to update) but I take no responsibilities nor can give direct support in those cases.

Features:
    Note! The detailed descriptions of each feature can found in the manual in DFA Manual -folder!
    • Religion
    • 4 new castes
    • 4 new noble positions and all the vanilla positions made available
    • Lots of new creatures
    • 7 new entities
    • New weapons, armors and ammo
    • 4 new toys
    • Lots of new plants
    • 3 new minerals, 10 new metals and one new flux
    • 6 new general workshops
      • Block factory
      • Weapon workshop
      • Crematory
      • Display Case
      • Magma-safe workshop
      • Training Dummy
      • Furniture workshop
    • No aquifers (optional)
    • No Cursed Stones (optional)
    • Enable All Metals (optional)
    • Basemetal
    • Farming overhaul
    • Dwarven Lamination
    • Adventure Mode Reactions

Change log
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Credits
    Deon: Training dummy and Furniture making, which were taken from Genesis mod. Finnish language used for vikings was also taken from Genesis.
    Phoebus: The graphic pack used in the mod
    Lofn: Giving the idea of how to feature the wrath of gods by using the syndrome system.
    Kaypy: Display Case
    Askot Bokbondeler: Basemetal
    Rephiku: Giving the idea of making Holy Dwarf -caste immune to the effect of cursed stone.
    Rochndil: Giving the inspiration to bone meal flux, which was taken and modified from Metals And Minerals Overhaul.
    Rhenaya: Creating the excellent Drow –mod which was added.
    NW_Kohaku: For creating the wonderful graphics for nagas and Hexas
    Talanic: For testing, bug reporting and tweaking suggestions
    arclance: For Dwarven Lamination -mod

And of course, special credit goes to brothers Adams for creating such a wonderful game as Dwarf Fortress!
    « Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:35:06 am by Kipi »
    Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
    You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod, version 0.1.1
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37:57 am »

Great Work! I really like the religion addition, any chance that in the future there might be just plain temples, not for worship of anyone in particular, just a temple? I would really like to create a temple for each forgotten beast I catch

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:52:38 am »

Yes, it's possible to have just plain temples. What religious reactions there should be, that's another matter.

Some things I have been thinking of adding to the religion:
    • Few new noble positions: Archpriest and Grand Master. Grand Master is appointed by Archpriest, and is the leader of Templar -squad.
    • Blessed items
    • Several new sacrifices.
    • Possibility of making gods angry (syndromes)

That's just the religion additions I have planned, other features will be included as well.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
    • please line up orderly
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:44:13 am »

Spoiler: Basemetal (click to show/hide)

note that goblins don't have bronze making in their permitted reactions, and even if they did, the lack of tin wouldn't make any difference, since they'd have automatic access to bronze and tin isn't usable for weapons and armor

also, the fact that you named the reaction the same i named mine makes me think you used my mod... i don't really care about being credited, and it's really just a simple reaction, but since you claim to give credit to everyone, i was sort of expecting to see my name there
    eh, it might not be the case, though...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
    • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:48:26 am »

Nice little additions. Also you reminded me to get back to my Altars and finally make them more useful :). Good luck with your mod.
    ▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
    ✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
    ✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:19:22 pm »

Thanks.  :)

This is my first attempt to actually create something of my own, all the mods I have used before have been made by somebody else, excluding some few minor reactions. So this is kinda learning process for me as well.

EDIT: Deon, added the Display case to credits, as I totally forgot that I had took that one from Genesis as well. No reason to reinvent a wheel, as they say... ;)
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:22:38 pm by Kipi »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
    • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 12:34:14 pm »

You also took the furniture workshop and added anvil to it... It might work, otherwise it's too cheap for such an awesome building :).

Display Case was originally made by Kaypy.
    ▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
    ✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
    ✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:42:21 pm »

You also took the furniture workshop and added anvil to it... It might work, otherwise it's too cheap for such an awesome building :).
    Yep, as I felt it fitting as the dwarves are able to produce metal beds in there.

Oh, and the furniture workshop was mentioned in credits, under Furniture making, as that feature is more or less copy of the one in Genesis mod
    Display Case was originally made by Kaypy.
    Okay, correcting that. It's often hard to find out which features in mod collections are made by somebody other.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 01:07:44 pm »

Spoiler: Basemetal (click to show/hide)

note that goblins don't have bronze making in their permitted reactions, and even if they did, the lack of tin wouldn't make any difference, since they'd have automatic access to bronze and tin isn't usable for weapons and armor

also, the fact that you named the reaction the same i named mine makes me think you used my mod... i don't really care about being credited, and it's really just a simple reaction, but since you claim to give credit to everyone, i was sort of expecting to see my name there
    eh, it might not be the case, though...

Sorry I missed you earlier.

Yes, I borrowed your mod, as it was clear that it should help with the problem of dwarves missing iron (and other common metals). Now, I made the mod basing of the memory of seeing it somewhere, but when I did search with the title I didn't get any hits, so that's why I haven't yet credited you about it. Going to add you to credits immediately. ;)

This is also why I requested in the original post that if you see something which you think may be borrowed from you or somebody else, then please tell me. Sometimes it's just frustrating to find the original thread, especially since the search doesn't seem to function properly (didn't get any hits with basemetal, even though that was the name of your mod, right?)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
    • please line up orderly
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 01:25:15 pm »

the name tag of the reaction was BASE_METAL, the mod itself didn't have a name, being just simple reaction
    and as i said, tin is doing nothing for the gobs there,what you might want to give them is [PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_MAKING]

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 01:58:24 pm »

the name tag of the reaction was BASE_METAL, the mod itself didn't have a name, being just simple reaction
    and as i said, tin is doing nothing for the gobs there,what you might want to give them is [PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_MAKING]

Could do that. So, even after adding that reaction to goblins, is the tin still useless for them?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
    • please line up orderly
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:01:38 pm »

yes, giving them, a reaction to produce bronze gives them access to bronze immediately, even if they don't have access to the needed reagents, so tin isn't doing anything.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod, version 0.1.2
    « Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 05:06:27 am »

Okay, I think I'll make that addition to next feature. Thanks for the information.

I was planning to add Block Factory to this mod next. The main point is that the player is able to choose which stone is used for making blocks, as the vanilla game choses the closest material. I believe this feature should be good at least for those who makes mega projects using blocks and want to unify the color of their projects.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod, version 0.1.3
    « Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 08:57:39 am »

Okay, the new version has been uploaded.

The new features are the possibility to build blocks from specific stones in new workshop called Block Factory. I included a reaction for every stone that has no metal reactions. This makes the list inside the workshop rather huge (nearly four pages full of reactions), so if anybody has suggestion of leaving something out I'm happy to listen. Also, if I start using some of the stones in my own reactions, then that stone gets removed from the list. The idea is to provide the players making mega projects to easier management of which stones are used to make blocks.

Second new feature is the Magma-safe Factory. The idea is to give the player to construct few of the basic furnitures needed for controlling the magma specifically from magma-safe stones. The player is not allowed to choose which stones are specifically used, so any stone the game thinks as magma-safe can be used. Currently the workshop support the construction of doors, mechanisms, floodgates and floor hatches.

Few fixes has also been made. First I removed tin from the goblin's base metal reaction, and gave them the reaction of bronze. Thanks for Bokbondeler for pointing this out.

Second fix was the naming of the blessed shield. Now it's easier to see which shields are blessed and which are not, as earlier both were referred as "shields".

Third fix dealt with the problem of all those noble positions which were not working in vanilla DF. Accidentally I used the wrong tag with the appointing (thanks to copy-paste the problem occurred in every noble position I had fixed). This is now fixed.

I also made some extensive testing with blessed shield and blessed battle axe in arena mode. The current versions are somewhat better than the original versions. I used test with two stages, both stages using two groups of 20 dwarves. All dwarves were without any skills, so the test was only about equipment.

In first test the both teams had equipment made from adamantine, with team A replacing their weapon and shield with blessed version. Ten battles, each time the team A won, the number of survivors ranging from five to eleven.

Second test I ran was with changing the material of team A from adamantine to steel, otherwise the test was identical from the first stage. Team B still had full equipment made from adamantine. After ten fights team A had won nine times, with only one win for team B, with one survivor who was badly injured (In Fortress mode, the lone survivor would have died to wounds before reaching the hospital). Each time team A won there were two or more survivors, though no more than five.

So, the blessed equipment should give the advantage over regular items, but perhaps not too much. Considering the chance of getting blessed item from temple (10%) I say this advantage is not overpowered.

The workshop I have done so far may be a bit ugly looking, I'm no master in that kind of thing, especially coloring. So, if somebody comes up with better colors, I'm more than happy to accept the help. Of course the proper credits are given. Perhaps I focus that part myself later, but right now it's not the most important thing on my list.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
    • Easily Confused
      • View Profile
    Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod, version 0.1.3
    « Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:02:49 am »

This looks really good, posting to track.
    Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12