Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You encounters with HFS, and how you dealt with it.  (Read 1883 times)

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You encounters with HFS, and how you dealt with it.
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:48:35 am »

As the title suggests this thread is about you experiences with HFS and how you dealt with clowns. I personally had a thriving fort of over 50 dwarves until I breached the circus through a vein. Afterwards my population was reduced to just 2 dwarves, thankfully I got them to wall off the only entrance into my fort and am now starting again with goods from the trade depot. 

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You encounters with HFS, and how you dealt with it.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:18:34 am »

1: LOLO ADAMANTINE
2: shoot everyone's died

DeathDomino

• Bay Watcher
  • Just add Magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:41:03 am »

Normally, I'll get all the candyfloss i can without opening the circus, train 50~ dwarves to legendary with full adamantine equipment, build a couple of megaprojects, stripmine an entire z-level, hit the population cap, destroy countless goblin sieges, anger and subsequently decimate the elves, get the king in residence, build pretty golden roads all over the map, create an emergency magma fort destruction lever, and have my starting dwarves die of old age.

Then, when i get bored, i'll open the circus tent and let the clowns out for an epic juggling competition. I've only got close to sealing the sides of the map once - all the other times were complete failures, for a variety of fun reasons :P
Hickory dickory dock, The elf ran up the clock.
The clock struck one
And the elf was drowned in magma.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:44:27 am »

Thin hallway hundreds of tiles long with each tile having a set of 10 upright steel spikes that I hooked to a lever in my dining hall. The hallway is originally 3 tiles wide but I use bridges to temporarily make it thinner to cut down on the number of spikes. Once the invasion is cleared out, return the hall to its proper width in order to facilitate cleanup and cut down on traffic congestion as people are moving into/out of the pit for construction.

In retrospect, I could probably improve it slightly. Although they are trap immune and thus weapon traps won't cause them to dodge, building the hallway over pits of magma or water may help deal with certain types (provided they don't fly). You'll still want some choke points to deal with fliers and types immune to magma and water.

It is a huge (huge) time investment but it mostly saves the adamantine for other purposes, since you won't need it to make weapons. It is also useful if your cap is short and you can't risk mining out any of it before hitting the hollow column.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:01:08 am »

I send my bronze/copper/iron/silver/little bit of steel clad military after it. Then draft everyone in a last stand.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:20:42 am »

I like to prepare properly with a repeater linked to a long halway with upright traps. Placing 10 spikes/spear per square and make the halway 50 squares long can mean that there will be few clowns left.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:31:50 am »

My encounter with hfs was pretty good,
with my ten legendary dwarf's with assorted weapon skills
and candy ☼weapons☼, it went well when suddenly exploding snowmen
demons :-\ with a brain rot syndrome killed my soldiers  :'( .
i then drafted a hundred extra dwarfs with my spare reject -weapons-,
we won with sheer numbers and adamantine but victory was short when the
snowman syndrome kicked in. I wish to do this again someday great fun  :P

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:35:01 am »

I'm thinking a large and long hallway with a roof that caves in when they file in. Then fire a ballista battery that is at the end. Pelt them with marksdwarves when they get close, and chop em' with axedwarves when they get really close.

Never actually tried that before due to FPS deaths... but I guess it would work if I timed the cave in right to take out a large amount of em, and get lucky about those that get close to the dwarves.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 12:07:39 pm »

Elves! I don't use traps against the HFS. I always send my military (normally, fifty legendary dwarfs in steel or adamantine) and it works most of the time. Well, sometimes there are crazy syndromes, but except that I won all of the fair fights.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 12:42:17 pm »

For the next time I have fun with the Fun, I plan to build a room filled with approx. 400 caged elves, all linked to a single lever which also controls the drawbridge sealingit off from my fort. Demons come in, Pull The Lever, and I will only have to worry about excess prisoners or HFS, as opposed to both.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:57:49 pm »

I usually use my power over the time to go several months back (to a beginning of a season usually) back in time and prevent that last swing of copper pick that releases bastards. Seriously throwing clowns out of their home isn't my goal for now. Though if I'll need to get to the deepest part of the map (not the ultimate challenge for my military), I'd use vertical serpentine so three tiles cave-in could squash all of them.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science