Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entity religion question  (Read 2759 times)

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entity religion question
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:42:41 am »

I have a quick RAW question:

What's the difference between [SPHERE_ALIGNMENT] and [RELIGION_SPHERE]?

Thanks!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Entity religion question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:14:33 pm »

I have no clue, might want to wiki it if you didn't already, but just from the names I'd guess diplomacy.  RELIGION_SPHERE will determine the types of deities your people prefer, while SPHERE_ALIGNMENT helps determine how that civ interacts with other aligned spheres.  Like, presumably, the spheres of chaos and order conflict, or good and evil, and one civ with one will be set against a civ with the other.  May also apply to megabeasts, since they fall into spheres of their own.  Of course this is just assumption on my part...

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:24:20 pm »

The Wiki says of SPHERE_ALIGNMENT "This token forces an entity to favor or disfavor particular religious spheres, causing them to acquire those spheres more often when generating a pantheon." Maybe RELIGION_SPHERE forces this sphere to be used, but with SPHERE_ALIGNMENT it's somewhat random?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:52:57 pm »

I've been wondering about this myself...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:30:43 pm »

If you use RELIGION SPHERE, there will be no opposing spheres possible. It does not exclude not mentioned spheres, but they are less likely, while opposing spheres are never included.

I think SPHERE_ALIGNMENT does not disable opposing spheres, but it needs a check. However you could definitely use two sphere alignments for opposing spheres and they both would work.

I.e.:
[SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:WATER:256]
[SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:FIRE:256]
will have your dwarves to pick both spheres for their gods evenly.

But it's more noticeable in the next example [SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:WATER:512] will make your dwarves to favor water a lot, however [RELIGION_SPHERE:WATER] will make them favor water AND never pick FIRE.

There may be more than that, but I didn't play with it around a lot so I am not too sure. I also don't know where the median is, but the maximum in raws is "512", so I guess it's "256" for the median.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:05:06 am »

A bit of a necro here, but I've finally got an answer.

RELIGION_SPHERE lists the spheres that must be covered in some way by your pantheon.

SPHERE_ALIGNMENT changes trade values for items.

There isn't anything else going on with either of them as far as I can tell.

Hello Tarn, if you have some time could you make a thing clear for me (actually us) please?

What is the total difference between [RELIGION_SPHERE:*] and [SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:*:*]?

I know that with the alignment you can set up the probability (is "256" a median?). And the wiki says that RELIGION_SPHERE removes the opposing spheres...

So [RELIGION_SPHERE:WATER] will make water more likely (how likely on the "alignment scale"?) and remove the FIRE alltogether. Is it true?

Will [SPHERE:ALIGNMENT:WATER:512] NOT remove the FIRE?

Thank you for your time :).

Here you go.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:29:59 am »

Thanks for that! I had no idea you could change trade values that way.