Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Bay12 7-Day Roguelike Festival - March Theme: !sdrawkcaB  (Read 12295 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
The Bay12 7-Day Roguelike Festival - March Theme: !sdrawkcaB
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:23:19 pm »

'Allo! I'm guessing that, if you're here, you most likely checked out the February event as well. If not, recap: the time limit was 72 hours, the theme was mostly focused on AI. Everyone agreed that 72 hours was pretty short, so this month we've got a week! And, of course, a new theme.

This is a 7DRL festival (not contest, since there's no winner)! That means exactly what it says on the tin- entrants have seven days to start and finish a buggy, non-optomized, incomplete roguelike. There is no barrier of quality; it's all about getting your programming juices flowing! You can enter whenever you like in the month of March. Just post when you're starting, maybe some progress reports, and let us know when you've finished! At the end of the month, I'll post a listing of all the entrants, as well as accolades.

So, without further ado, here are the festival specifics!

----------
Administrated By: me, biag. Post if you have any questions, or if you want to help out!
Entry Deadline: I'll be accepting entries all through the month of March. PM me a download link, or post it here (for a good file host, I recommend Mediafire)!
Theme: take a genre convention and turn it on its head, a la Yahtzee's excellent Leveling Backwards article.
     Specific Guidelines:
          -Post something about the rule you're subverting whenever you make your idea reveal.
          -Be creative!
          -Guidelines are flexible; above all, try to make something you want to make! This is a starting point.
Additional: not required, but when you put up your "Finished!" post, it would be neat if you also posted any interesting problems you came across and how you solved them. You may be as open or secretive about your development as you wish.
----------

Any questions? Post them here, or PM me! Any suggestions? Post them here, or PM me! Interested in signing up? Post here! Don't PM me about that one. :P

Tutorials, Tilesets, Libraries, Etc.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some Questions That Will Probably Become Frequently Asked

Now hop to! :D

Current Entries

GTM's Mad Mage

Levi's Cursed Painting

White Kitteh's Almight 12x9
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:29:13 am by Biag »

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 7-Day Roguelike Festival - March Theme: !sdrawkcaB
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:22:09 pm »

the annual 7 day roguelike contest is also happening during march (5 - 13 to be precise): http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=7DRL_Contest_2011

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:28:59 pm »

Unless I can come up with something more original, I'll probably be reusing the concept I was going for in the previous contest, since it's essentially the inversion of a whole genre, but now with more time (yeah I really want to make that game):
Several FPS games, like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 have profiled themselves as a blood sports tournament, where gladiators fight for the viewers of the future. My idea is to take that concept and put you, the gamer, in the seat of the organizer of such a tournament. You'd have to hire gladiators, plan maps, get weapon and power-up contracts and arrange for some epic fights, so people will watch your blood sports channel instead of the opposition. Gladiators, weapons and power-ups will be generated procedurally, so you always have plenty of things to chose from. Spawning them and respawning gladiators would cost money though, so you've got to balance fight time (which would get more interesting fight shots) with the expenses associated with it and make sure your camera's are always at the right spot.
If I've got the time I'll see if I can also implement some side events, such as getting contracts for army practice, organizing special annual tournaments or setting up your own leagues in which fighters can participate for prizes.
As a bonus, there's a week of vacation coming up for me next month :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:32:04 pm by Virex »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:25:27 pm »

I'm thinking of making a city-building game or should I say a wilderness-building game.
Hm... you would start off with a fully-constructed town with a bunch of villagers that are really happy.
You would then start deconstructing buildings to make room for the trees you're going to plant.
Farmers would be ordered to collect tree seeds and breed wild animals like deer and such.
Soon, it will be a race against time as you try to plant as many trees as you can before everyone leaves the village because you're ruining it.

Also, relevant.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:58:11 pm »

Slightly off-topic but: I wonder if Yahtzee ever played A Quest Too Far from the 2010 7drl - that's almost exactly what he's talking about

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »

We need more games like this. I don't think my roguelike programming skills are quite up to for for a 7DRL contest but I will be watching this (great concept).

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:14 pm »

Hmm.  I'll see if I can come up with a good idea...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 04:55:00 am »

I love the theme. This is going to be fun.

How about unexploring a dungeon? :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 09:25:43 am »

Or better: backwards Zelda. You've defeated the final boss, and now you have to return all ye artifacts of lore that you used to get there back to their rightful places in each dungeon. When you're done, you hand in your sword.

Oh, and Jumping on Mushrooms is great.

Man now I'm gonna have to make a game like this, but outside of the contest  ::)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 10:04:06 am »

Super Oiram, Plump Helmet Farmer: Jumping on flat mushrooms to make them grow? :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 02:07:30 pm »

You're Moloch and have to hide the amulet of Yendor at the bottom of a dungeon.

There was a 7DRL already made that fits this.  Something like the last adventure, I think it was called, where you're a retired adventurer with great gear and stats who has to go on one last adventure to save his kids.  Instead of leveling up you throw out your back, sprain your ankle, and suffer similar old people problems.
Shoes...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 02:09:14 pm »

You're Moloch and have to hide the amulet of Yendor at the bottom of a dungeon.

There was a 7DRL already made that fits this.  Something like the last adventure, I think it was called, where you're a retired adventurer with great gear and stats who has to go on one last adventure to save his kids.  Instead of leveling up you throw out your back, sprain your ankle, and suffer similar old people problems.
Damn, I was already thinking of something that makes you "level down". :(

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 02:10:44 pm »

Yeah, it's already been mentioned in this thread but Cthulhu probably didn't recognize it by name. It's A Quest Too Far.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 02:23:06 pm »

You're one of the king's soldiers, and you must fight your way through the swamp to kill Shrek and his family.  Along the way you slay such strange and dangerous uniques as a talking donkey and a swashbuckling cat.
Shoes...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 07:59:27 pm »

Well, I'll probably join this. I do need the experience with C++.

You know, so many games these days are about brutally crushing your enemies. We need a game that forces you to brutally make peace with your enemies. In other words, I'm going to have to code up a half-decent political simulator.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7