Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Bay12 7-Day Roguelike Festival - March Theme: !sdrawkcaB  (Read 12301 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 7-Day Roguelike Festival - March Theme: !sdrawkcaB
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 08:29:07 pm »

I can think of how this could be used as a story telling mechanic, I guess.  You start at the end, with you slaying the evil demon.  Then it progressively goes back in time through the Hero's Journey, and you recursively find out the moral and reasons for the villain acting as they did.

That being said, such a thing is hard to do with Roguelikes...  They're not much for story, more for sheer randomness.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 04:26:52 am »

Hmmm. Right now I'm thinking about a "The Sheriff of Sherwood" (I know it should be Nottingham but that doesn't alliterate as nicely), where you are the tax-collecting sherriff, where you need to keep the people in check, extort as much money from them as possible, and keep this Robin Hoodlum character off of the Prince's back.

It's not as much backwards as "playing the other side". Does that count?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:24:17 am »

Hmm, I've got an idea for this.  Lets hope I have enough time at the end of the month to give this a shot.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 02:09:04 pm »

The first idea I had was "unrescue the princess", although on it's own, that wouldn't be backwards enough, and it would work better as a platformer than a roguelike...

If it must be a roguelike, then i guess I could just take my idea from last time (that I never got around to making into a game) and create "the anti-sandwich movement", a singleplayer quest to destroy and/or stash in a dangerous place a handful of very powerful sandwiches, finding places to put them where they will stay unfound for long enough that they rot away (naturally, that won't happen), where disassembling a sandwich curses you, but it is easier to hide the ingredients, but putting one in a trapped dungeon of doom is hard because after assembling the traps and placing the sandwich, you need to escape without triggering anything...

Whatever one I settle on, I am starting a rendering engine that could support either, right now, so hopefuly I'll figure out what idea to use before it's done.
Eh?
Eh!

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 10:27:18 pm »

I have a wacky idea involving a wizard, but I was hoping to try the yearly 7drl this year too.  Would it be sleazy to make one game for both competitions?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 10:30:43 pm »

I have a wacky idea involving a wizard, but I was hoping to try the yearly 7drl this year too.  Would it be sleazy to make one game for both competitions?

This isn't a competition though.  This is a Festival!  A way to get the creative juices flowing.  If this festival inspires you to make a 7DRL game, then go for it!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 11:11:21 pm »

HEY GUYS IT'S MARCH

I'll probably be starting next week. Good luck to all! :D

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 01:08:25 am »

Posting to follow, but if my week-long break does fall in march, I might give it a try :)
I'm tempted to start soon anyway...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 04:11:48 am »

(I'm considering that as well. So if we both do it, it's not sleazy, right? ;) )

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 02:04:17 pm »

I think I'm going to start sometime around the 15th(I'm in the middle of moving to a new apartment so things are a little hectic).  I've been playing around with libtcod and it seems pretty easy to use, so that is encouraging! 

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »

Right, I need a bit of advice. When I try to compile libtcod in Code::Blocks, it throws up the error message "cannot find -ltcod-mingw".

Now, the tutorial I'm using says to change the execution working dir to the director with libtcod in it, but I've tried this and it doesn't do anything.

(Also, I haven't started yet, as I'm trying to work this thing out.)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 05:06:06 pm »

Are you trying to compile libtcod itself, or just trying to add it as a library?
Because libtcod-1.5.0-mingw32.zip comes with "precompiled" .a libs.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »

Are you trying to compile libtcod itself, or just trying to add it as a library?
Because libtcod-1.5.0-mingw32.zip comes with "precompiled" .a libs.

Add it as a library.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 05:17:14 pm »

Right-click your project, build options, Linker settings, add libtcod-mingw.a in Link libraries (and the whole path before that, use the browse button). Absolute or relative doesn't really matter.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »

Right-click your project, build options, Linker settings, add libtcod-mingw.a in Link libraries (and the whole path before that, use the browse button). Absolute or relative doesn't really matter.

For some odd reason, the latest stable version of libtcod doesn't come with libtcod-mingw.a. Meh. It works with 1.4.2.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7